1 2 3
Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/9/17 8:44 a.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: In reply to nepa03focus: I really wish Honda would just make a goddamn Fit Si already. That platform would be incredible even with the base Civic's 2.0 to replace the 1.5. That would be a true successor to the Si cars of yore...

TRUE!! I always thought the original Civic Wagon would have also been great as a Si. But as I just posted, the CRX Si is and was, IMHO, the end all be all! HONDA, PLEASE REINVENT THE CRX Si!!!

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/9/17 10:06 a.m.
Rupert wrote:
pointofdeparture wrote: In reply to nepa03focus: I really wish Honda would just make a goddamn Fit Si already. That platform would be incredible even with the base Civic's 2.0 to replace the 1.5. That would be a true successor to the Si cars of yore...
TRUE!! I always thought the original Civic Wagon would have also been great as a Si. But as I just posted, the CRX Si is and was, IMHO, the end all be all! HONDA, PLEASE REINVENT THE CRX Si!!!

They did. It was called the CR-Z. And nobody liked it.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/9/17 10:51 a.m.

That is a lot of ugly crammed into a small car. The proportions are wrong, the detailing is over the top and the hatch is too slopped for any usefullness. Plus it's so high it looks like a minivan. But that's a general comment of modern cars.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/9/17 10:53 a.m.

The rear 3/4 view of it makes me think of those awful Malibu Maxx. Yuck.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/9/17 11:13 a.m.

I took a look at the pics, and my first thought was that I was glad to see that the costume designers from the first several seasons of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were able to find careers after their time on the show ended, that still allowed them to utilize their zany imaginations in ways that were still wildly offensive to the senses. Good for those guys.

My second thought was "GGA, THAT CAR IS HUGE"...is it just me or does it look like a STI from 2 years ago?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/9/17 11:47 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I took a look at the pics, and my first thought was that I was glad to see that the costume designers from the first several seasons of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were able to find careers after their time on the show ended, that still allowed them to utilize their zany imaginations in ways that were still wildly offensive to the senses. Good for those guys. My second thought was "GGA, THAT CAR IS HUGE"...is it just me or does it look like a STI from 2 years ago?

This, right here, explains it better than anyone can ever explain it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/9/17 11:50 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Rupert wrote:

No they didn't. They made a crappy hybrid that got worse fuel economy than the civic and fit, then tried to capitalize on the CRX name and sell some. Everyone but the top executives saw through this charade. I mean, who wants a small, 2-seat car that isn't fast and doesn't get incredible fuel economy? The answer is no one.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/17 12:01 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: From what I have read so far, the turbo motor responds very well to some basic mods. Chip, intake and exhaust will get you close to 190hp/180tq at the wheels. That aint too shabby.
Wait, that massive, over-angular monster isn't making that to start with? The Korean twins make 240/220 with a tune only to the front wheels, are much less ugly and not as heavy.

Sorry, I misspoke. It puts 190/190 to the wheels stock, well above what the factory rates it. With intake, downpipe and Hondadata reflash it can get closer to 230/250 IIRC. I can't locate the article at the moment, but the point is that they are under-rating the engine and it wakes up nicely! Way to go Honda!

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
2/10/17 7:15 a.m.

The hatchback looks better than the sedan but, Jesus, it's still ugly. The major curves are ok for the most part, but it's mostly the tail lights that stick out of the rear and the whack front and rear valance that just totally wreck the lines of the car. This is not aimed at 20 somethings. As someone who is (barely still) in their 20s, I can tell you we much prefer clean "slab" designs or swooping curves ala Mazda 3.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/15/17 9:16 a.m.

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to park my 2005 Accord sedan next to a Civic Sport hatch (the first one I've seen). I do think it is better looking in person, and yes, it is a big car. It was the dark grey color so the fake vents blended a bit better.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/15/17 12:17 p.m.

Sat in a few of these at a car show recently. I'm kind of meh about the over the top styling, but what bugged me was the lack of headroom, even when I cranked the seat all the way down. I also hit my head getting out of them. They only had sunroof equipped models there, so I am sure that's part of it, but I'm only 6' tall, so it seems a bit ridiculous. I don't think I'd have fit if I had a helmet on.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/15/17 1:23 p.m.

One just showed up in my neighborhood in a fairly violent shade of green. All the angry angular bits work when you do that. It looks cool.

MoCounselor
MoCounselor GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/8/17 8:51 a.m.

Well, it seems like I am in the minority opinion here, but I LOVE the look of the new Civic Hatchback. Like David, I've owned many Honda products over the years. Quite frankly, I lost interest after the EP3 hatch went away, but this car has renewed my faith in Honda. I'm going to test drive one this week, but I'm pretty sure that this is going to be my next daily driver.

Thanks for the review!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/26/19 9:52 a.m.
NickD said:
Rupert wrote:

The other day a woman parked her CR-Z near our Civic Si. I had just parked the Si when she pulled up.

"I love your car--and I love my Honda," she said. (Well, not her exact words, but something to that effect.)

David S. Wallens
9/26/19 9:53 a.m.

Oh yeah, I just zombied this thread because we just drove the Civic Sport again. Look for a new review soon. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/26/19 11:59 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Oh yeah, I just zombied this thread because we just drove the Civic Sport again. Look for a new review soon. 

I so want an Si hatch. I would even take the "20hp less" if the Sport came with the LSD from the Si. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to swap out the trans if you could get your hands on one; however, I would rather throw that 1.5T w/ LSD setup in a Fit. 

David S. Wallens
9/26/19 12:13 p.m.

An Si hatch would be cool. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xe89QO7CqtpAnZt5vYVzskWTWHORnrz3hra0mzjvo6vpvhqqWCZRU7NV1KfUTaEQ