1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/1/17 2:27 p.m.
feature_image

If you want to be a new Jeep owner, the Renegade is the most attainable model. Jeep's least expensive model can be purchased for $17,995. However, our test vehicle was an optioned-out example of the Altitude trim, which meant the sticker price ballooned up to $32,195.

That meant we were getting the bigger 2.4-liter engine and all the convenience and …

Read the rest of the story

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/1/17 2:39 p.m.

So, were you able to get any "altitude" under hard braking?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/1/17 2:43 p.m.

Altitude?...As in: You'd have to be 'high' to buy one?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/1/17 2:54 p.m.

In reply to Driven5:

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/1/17 3:13 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Altitude?...As in: You'd have to be 'high' to buy one?

Funny (maybe) I see these things all over the place.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/1/17 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

I heard getting that 'Jeep thing' makes it burn when you pee, and the Renegade just means you're already sitting down when it happens.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
9/1/17 4:57 p.m.

The removable roof panels are a must. It took a while for them to be released. My wife likes the bright blue and green colors.

I like the looks for a small SUV.

Since I would not go off road with a new one, I'm OK we bought an AWD Juke but my wife would be happier with the Jeep.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/1/17 8:06 p.m.

So the sticker is $32K? I really don't think anybody pays retail for a Chrysler product. With incentives and rebates....... should be a few thousand off. Heck, you will probably be able to lease it for $179 a month with no money down. I have a friend who's leasing a $57K Dodge Ram for $279 a month with nothing down. Unemployed, bankrupt? Chrysler will finance you. You just have to have a pulse and you are golden. Seriously I don't know how Chrysler/Fiat does it. They can't possibly be making any money on some of their sales/Leases. Anything to move metal.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
9/2/17 9:52 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: So, were you able to get any "altitude" under hard braking?

Like this

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/17 10:27 a.m.

People who hate on the Renegade don't understand that it's more Kia Soul! and Scion xB than Jeep. With the removal roof panels, it gives the open air jeep feel, but buttons up to be an actual car.

Also, if you need a traditional Jeep to do offroad things, you're doing it wrong.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
9/2/17 10:37 a.m.

I wanted to like these since you can get a manual transmission with 4wd but they are just too small fo me and kinda goofy looking...

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/17 10:56 a.m.

At the bottom of the price range, this is pretty compelling. IIRC, the Renegade can do AWD around $20. Great. That's where the Renegade should be playing.

$32k has me shopping the Mercedes GLA-based Infiniti QX30. Base FWD is $30. Luxury FWD $32,600. Luxury AWD is $34,400.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/2/17 11:32 a.m.

The Renegade is on the low cost to insure list. Along with most Jeep vehicles.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/2/17 11:56 a.m.

That ain't a Jeep.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/2/17 11:56 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: Also, if you need a traditional Jeep to do offroad things, you're doing it wrong.

No, you're doing it right. See my avatar.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/2/17 12:25 p.m.

Wonder if you can get the big engine, AWD, manual, and zero other options?

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/2/17 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I'd just buy a base wrangler for $27k instead.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/2/17 1:54 p.m.

In all honesty, I'd buy the cheapest running Miata and throw Paco's Off-Roadster kit at it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/2/17 3:23 p.m.

I like the looks of the Renegade, but for that money I'll stick with my 20 yr old 4 runner.

Mike
9/2/17 7:23 p.m.

I've just gone down a Jeep rabbit hole. I love the Jeep Wrangler Chief edition. Intellectually, I know they don't depreciate like a normal vehicle, but I wasn't prepared for the used listings for post-2012 Pentastar trucks, and how they compare to just buying new.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/17 8:29 p.m.

$31.5 out the door bought me a Wrangler JK Blackbear edition.
I wanted one for 20 years and there was no substitute.

The Renegade will have it's own following and is probably better to live with than a Wrangler if you put a bunch of miles on it every month.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/2/17 8:53 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Wonder if you can get the big engine, AWD, manual, and zero other options?

Unfortunately not. Small engine is manual only, big engine is automatic only.

IIRC, the small turbo engine makes the same torque but a tad less horsepower, so it's the better buy in my opinion.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/17 9:47 p.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: So, were you able to get any "altitude" under hard braking?
Like this

Love that the video is captioned "too much brake power"... Gah.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/17 9:57 p.m.

Friend of mine showed me pics of his JK with water on the floor from off roading. Seemed to hold up well to that, but I would not want to clean the mud out of the carpets after that.

I do not see the renegade doing that, but I do see it doing about what 90% of all JKs do, look good going to the mall, work, store.. basically being a car and being a MUCH better car than the JK

Mike
9/2/17 10:24 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Friend of mine showed me pics of his JK with water on the floor from off roading. Seemed to hold up well to that, but I would not want to clean the mud out of the carpets after that. I do not see the renegade doing that, but I do see it doing about what 90% of all JKs do, look good going to the mall, work, store.. basically being a car and being a MUCH better car than the JK

Just hose out your Wrangler. I think this is an official Jeep marketing photo.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hGGG3nj7eJwLpSb5A8fO9T9N9luiXIr7k1JmSdW5aF6hy0cNKdar5yoIsfvURsd0