Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/15/17 11:41 a.m.
feature_image

The Kia Forte5 is simply a five-door iteration of the brand's economy car. Packing more space and utility into a small economy car sounds like one practical package. Our test car came with the optional twin-clutch transmission and the turbocharged 1.6-liter engine.

We recently reviewed the Toyota Corolla iM, one of the Forte SX's biggest competitors. So how do they …

Read the rest of the story

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/15/17 11:48 a.m.

Anything else worth noting? Basically, if you get a manual, is it worth considering? I remember driving a manual Fiesta (that I bought) vs an auto. Night and day. That Ford auto is pile.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/17 12:13 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

If it's the same dual clutch as the Hyundai Veloster loaner we had, yes it really is pretty damn bad.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/17 2:03 p.m.

I liked the 16 that I drove, but it was a stick.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/15/17 4:24 p.m.

I haven't driven the manual, so I can't judge. Tim also drove it--also only once--and said the steering felt "as dead as Abraham Lincoln," so not sure a stick is going to transform this enough. The overall dynamic was sluggish and underpowered. If we get a chance to drive a non-slushbox version, I'll be eager to see if that's all it needs to, you know, not suck.

Margie

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/16/17 1:45 a.m.

Wow...It sounds like Kia benchmarked the Ford Powershift, and then decided they could beat them at their own "How bad can a DCT be?" game.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/19/17 4:21 p.m.

I have the 2017 Elantra Sport with the 201hp 1.6T and the M6 transmission. I smile every time I drive it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t44bpaD6JOP48F2ee6kutiu8L1oTHFWQtE2UqrTKwpOR3gOGvWQlKHMYr6yZDhYr