Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/7/17 3:25 p.m.
feature_image

New for 2017: The Mazda CX-5. Mazda's mid-level crossover has been the second quickest model to reach one million units sold by the manufacturer. The CX-5 is just about the same size as a Honda CR-V and is powered by a 187-horsepower four-cylinder engine. There aren't many frills, but that's because Mazda built it with functionality in mind. The price …

Read the rest of the story

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/8/17 12:51 a.m.

Wife wants one to replace her Mazda3 hatch. We drove this, new CR-V, and Forester XT. She greatly preferred the familiar and nimble feel of the CX-5. Something a little quicker would be nice but oh well. FXT has lost the specialness of yore. Not stepping up to German brands for this people mover.

I wish they had made the 2.5 turbo gas engine from the CX-9 the optional engine instead of pursuing the diesel nonsense. I actually rented a Sky-D CX-5 in Germany a few years ago and enjoyed it, but this seems like a terrible time for a small automaker to introduce a totally novel (for them) engine. It's like FD3S RX-7 and RX8 all over again... Funky engine with niche appeal, mass market fail and warranty disaster.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/8/17 2:01 a.m.

Te CX-5 was one of the few CUV that could be has with a clutch. I think that choice is gone now :(

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
6/8/17 3:44 a.m.

This is the one mazda that I truly do see all over the world. I mean i always see the answer but this car is literally everywhere! and for what it offers I can understand why

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/20/19 11:05 a.m.

Had a Jetta for 10 years and looking for an SUV.  SWMBO drove our son's CX-5;  she's sold, until now she wanted an Escape....

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
4/20/19 12:41 p.m.

In reply to EvanR :

2016 was the last year of clutch in cx-5. It didn't carry over with the redesign. Only cuvs available w/clutch I can think of are Outlander Sport, Renegade, Compass..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JzTmsg3HgjKFjurL9Nxp1jE5XP6Gunb6ZKrx8QeXALPl9vV9Wm8FcEVh3qqBUFGM