Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
2/10/17 2:14 p.m.
feature_image

We don't often venture into the realm of micro cars, but out test car this week was a 2017 Smart ForTwo Cabrio. It's made for urban living, but you see them all the time in not-so-urban habitats. It looks like it should have some moxie with a turbocharged 3-cylinder engine and twin-clutch transmission.

Read the rest of the story

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/10/17 2:34 p.m.

wait, they're still in business?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/10/17 2:37 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: wait, they're still in business?

My exact thought too. I read it and was like "Wait, they still make those?"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/10/17 2:57 p.m.

I thought I read somewhere that 2017 Smarts were finally going to be available with a real manual transmission. Didn't they widen the front track as well, to match the rear track?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/10/17 3:06 p.m.

When are they coming out with a 7-passenger SUV?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/10/17 3:15 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: When are they coming out with a 7-passenger SUV?

AWD with a V8. Bonus points for supercharger.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/10/17 3:38 p.m.

Can you see anything in that rear view mirror besides the folded up top?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/17 3:44 p.m.

Renault Twingo platform right?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/10/17 3:49 p.m.

To me, it has all been a fail since they were never successful with the Smart Roadster and its optional hatch ala Pulsar.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
2/10/17 6:06 p.m.

They are a Daimler brand and are very much alive and well.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/17 10:57 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: To me, it has all been a fail since they were never successful with the Smart Roadster and its optional hatch ala Pulsar.

it always seemed to me that killing the roadster JUST before coming to the US was a bad idea

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/17 11:07 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: To me, it has all been a fail since they were never successful with the Smart Roadster and its optional hatch ala Pulsar.
it always seemed to me that killing the roadster JUST before coming to the US was a bad idea

Yep, the Smart doesn't really work that well here due to our larger roads and parking lots. Not too mention the diesel motor isn't legal here and the electric just doesn't have the range.

The roadster could have given the Miata and others a run for their money.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
2/11/17 2:51 a.m.

i've been tempted to sign up for car2go and use them as mobile parking spots in the city.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/17 9:12 a.m.

The NYPD has a bunch of Smarts to replace those goofy 3 wheeled scooters. They're not much bigger but hold two officers and are a little harder for school kids to tip over.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/11/17 10:04 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:

The Roadster/Coupes are now cheap as chips in Europe. They have a rear mounted bike engine--I wonder if anyone has given one a sportbike engine heart transplant? That seems like an easy button for massive entertainment.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
2/11/17 4:07 p.m.

I think it could work very nicely in the right application such as in the RV lifestyle. Towing that behind your RV would work. Or a retirement community scenario..........sort of a upscale alternative to a golf cart. Or a pure urban environment where parking and grid lock are an issue. My two biggest complaints about the Smart at that size are it should either be exceptionally fuel efficient like 50 mpg-60 mpg or exceptionally inexpensive like $12-$15 or preferably both. Neither of which it is. Also I don't think I have ever read a really positive test review of it. I still sort of like it though. I am conflicted.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/17 8:57 p.m.

I don't get the hate. I like my wife's and it's fun to chuck around on Vermont's mountain roads. I've discovered the key to smooth shifting it. Only complaint are the anti spin and stability control nannies are a little too aggressive.

Small, light car. Momentum is your friend.

The first gear is pretty short. It pulls the first 20 feet at stop lights. Plus, nobody expects a smart to try and pull a hole shot on you.

Let's see...1800 lbs, 70 hp. Hmmm, VW Rabbit anyone?

Did I mention the Dedion rear suspension?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Fcz5GHmJJ9OssUlkMaUoCKrjfXCef1GcuE13fmGFPhpNBDVNabPKJnB5IbwgAKq