Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/23/17 9:56 a.m.
feature_image

The Toyota Yaris has humbly served the compact car market for years. It's light—weighing in at 2315 pounds wet—and offers maneuverable utility needed for city driving. Prices start at about $16,000.

Read the rest of the story

rustbucketsherpa
rustbucketsherpa
8/23/17 11:23 a.m.

Does this hatch get the "smart safety suite" features added at no extra cost like the sedan? If so, this becomes a great value proposition against the Honda Fit.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/17 11:31 a.m.

Isn't the Yaris iA sedan-only and completely unrelated to the Yaris hatchback?

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
8/23/17 11:59 a.m.

I actually like it's style, especially in contrast to Toyota's recent ostentatious trend of over-designing (see: the current gen Prius....)

rustbucketsherpa
rustbucketsherpa New Reader
8/23/17 1:45 p.m.

@Double_Wishbone +1 on the Prius over-styling. The sedan is actually a Mazda 2 which means it gets gets the SkyActiv engine technology. Hmmm..how much of this SkyActiv technology contributed to Toyota's recent announcement of significantly improved engine thermal efficiency; especially in light of Toyota's recent 6% stake in Mazda?

TGMF
TGMF Reader
8/23/17 1:55 p.m.

Its 99% a Mazda. Built off the Mazda 2 sedan not sold in America...just with a Toyota front end grafted on. Interior is 100% Mazda, looks just like a Mazda 3 inside. It's far more upscale than this segment justifies.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/23/17 1:56 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: Isn't the Yaris iA sedan-only and completely unrelated to the Yaris hatchback?

You are correct. I initially grabbed the wrong group of photos and it took a little bit for changes to be reflected on the website. Sorry about that!

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
8/23/17 2:05 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote:
pointofdeparture wrote: Isn't the Yaris iA sedan-only and completely unrelated to the Yaris hatchback?
You are correct. I initially grabbed the wrong group of photos and it took a little bit for changes to be reflected on the website. Sorry about that!

Now that I see the right pictures, I still stand by my statement--not bad styling by Toyota standards. I see a bit of Lexus influence on the front end, and there seems to be a Mazda vibe to the exterior that betrays it's origin.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
8/23/17 2:15 p.m.

The Yaris is built in France. The Yaris iA is an entirely different car and built in Mexico.

You can't by a Renault or Peugeot in the USA, so if you want a French car, you're stuck with a Yaris hatch.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 3:33 p.m.

I actually really like the look of that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b8fLOddjo8LCxblPRvrCJKIMu0ht3ANflrgAEgB1E0vKJ6V3cn8DqoHsA8fMHpK3