1 2 3 4 5
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/18 4:39 p.m.

In reply to bigben :

The date was set before this years challenge date was announced.

I was planning on doing this year, but apparently the GRM staff didnt think to confer with me to see if the date would work with the wedding. Selfish bastards!!!!crying

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/16/18 4:40 p.m.

I just joined Patrick's team after calling my build doa for this year. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/16/18 5:29 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

That sucks, but I understand completely.

In other related news, I proved that your drivetrain combo will survive 24 hours (1900 miles) of being beat on at Nelson ledges a few weeks ago.  Keep your coils away from heat....

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
7/16/18 5:31 p.m.

I'm not competing this year, but will be attending.  Anyone have a parking lot build that needs a mechanic/welder/fabricator/hack? 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/16/18 6:51 p.m.

We will be screwing around with a Volvo wagon in the parking lot.  I am not going to go to crazy this year...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/16/18 7:02 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Last year's truck will be back in the parking lot as well. Purely as a parts gopher and Mobile Radio

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/16/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

Ooooh-I was already considering emailing you for welding help before the challenge!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
7/17/18 8:04 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I'm sad. I was looking forward to checking it out this year.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/17/18 8:08 a.m.

It will be there next year. Just too unrealistic this year due to all the medical setbacks from my accident. 

It is discouraging, but tye better choice for my family and my head.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 8:24 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

...  better choice for my family and my head.

wisdom

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/17/18 8:39 a.m.

No car for me this year either. 

But I’ll be driving down in this:

Yep, I’m the one that bought it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/17/18 8:42 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Sweet!  I did not realize.  I don't spend a lot of time in the "high dollar" classifieds of GRM.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/17/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I don’t usually either. 

I didn’t pay him that. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/17/18 8:46 a.m.

I plan to be there.  This time with another Q45 making it my 3rd Q45 and none of them have shared a single bolt between them.  

This one with a 5 speed manual trans and NOS.  Now running better but the included NOS has not been tested yet.  My expectation is that I will tow this down with my R-title '06 F250 Super Duty.  

That is the plan at least.  However, I still have to manage the curves that life keeps throwing my way.  I would say 80% that I'll be there. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/17/18 9:09 a.m.

Nothing another engine can't fix.  I would like to think the Stars are lining up.  No more cryin' about money, but some doggone help would be nice.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
7/17/18 9:14 a.m.

Unless some gnomes start working on my car on the night shift I won't be playing this year. I'll be there with, or without a vehicle though.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/17/18 9:37 a.m.

Never been to the Challenge in any capacity, but I did start building a wagon/specialty class car just before the 100 days to go post and am working on a challenge budget trade for a 2nd possibility. 

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
7/17/18 10:06 a.m.

We registered early to get in on the General Tire Challenge, but yes, time is ticking away.  We have a used turbo kit that's about 2% installed so far.   Yikes!   :-(

I've gone quite insane with Valve Cover Racers.  I think I'm bringing six this year to loan out.  The latest one is GMC truck based, so it has a "tow hitch".   I made up a trophy to present to the lucky winner.... but then stumbled across a pretty snazzy real trophy.  Snazzy will likely win out over home made.  :-)  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/17/18 11:29 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

I'll be traveling solo.  As we get closer, let me know if you want to spend some time behind the wheel of a F250, but just a standard cab.  I'll be looking for a room share too.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 11:38 a.m.

I’m skipping this year, but I’ll be back. Hopefully with another car, but either way I’ll be back. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/18 12:00 p.m.
SVreX said:

No car for me this year either. 

But I’ll be driving down in this:

Yep, I’m the one that bought it.

Congrats! That thing is a beauty!

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/17/18 12:00 p.m.
wheels777 said:

Lots of chatter in the background....should be a good one.

Where is this "chatter in the background" of which you speak? Is there another forum I should know about? Are there some threads I've missed?

I've got the car and started my build ... in my head. The real wrench turning won't get going for another month. Hey, if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done...

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/18 12:08 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Never been to the Challenge in any capacity, but I did start building a wagon/specialty class car just before the 100 days to go post and am working on a challenge budget trade for a 2nd possibility. 

Hmm... Pretty sure I know what trade you're going for. I'll be impressed if you can make it work for challenge budget. Probably not too much room left for upgrades though. That said, if you don't get it, I'll be on my way to pick it up for a daily. ;)

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/18 12:15 p.m.
spin_out said:

We registered early to get in on the General Tire Challenge, but yes, time is ticking away.  We have a used turbo kit that's about 2% installed so far.   Yikes!   :-(

I've gone quite insane with Valve Cover Racers.  I think I'm bringing six this year to loan out.  The latest one is GMC truck based, so it has a "tow hitch".   I made up a trophy to present to the lucky winner.... but then stumbled across a pretty snazzy real trophy.  Snazzy will likely win out over home made.  :-)  

Can Colin partake of the valve cover raceshare program?  Because I’m not going to have time to make him one this year 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
7/17/18 12:25 p.m.

I was going to build a valve cover racer this year (still might), but I picked up my valve cover before reading the rules.  If I cut it in half my Jag in-line 6 cover might be short enough

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JewXXHqanU1aWTkSd2SlnSn2Yam7RqweaxEF2JFoxbY3DRUcKyZgH3ByUkJv7YYp