SVreX MegaDork
8/15/18 5:59 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Yes. But not well- blown head gasket

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/18 6:07 p.m.
EvanB said:

I am unsure if i will make it or not but if i do i will help. 

Stampie, what ats wheels are they? Do you want to sell them?

I just got them last week after chasing them for over a year so not yet. I'll probably use them on the 2002.  Not sure the model but here's a picture.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/15/18 7:06 p.m.

I have new but older 205/55-14 Hankook slicks. They were for my $2014 challenge car before the whole fiero thing happened. Stored in my basement since 2014. Or I have flares 245/275-17 hoosier A6 sitting at work, don’t think 17s work on that gen MR2.

I’ll bring Chris ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, he is a much better wrench than me.  

I’ll work on providing food and refreshments for the day. Gotta keep hydrated. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/15/18 8:06 p.m.

I checked my Avon slicks, and they're nearly as old as I am.  Unless we want to source new 13" slicks, I don't think we should use my wheels.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/18 8:38 p.m.

I'll be arriving sometime after midnight. What can I do at that point? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/15/18 8:54 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

In all likelihood, probably a whole bunch of things cheeky

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/18 9:12 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

There is a 1986 mr2 in the junkyard here in jax.  Do I need to see if it has axles? Any other parts we need?

Does the mr2 run currently?

Axles and tires are the major parts outstanding right now. Sounds like there are a lot of wheel and tire choices floating around. If you have time and you want to go check that would be great, but keep in mind rockauto does sell the axles for less than $125 for the pair. If the junkyard axles are like $10, good deal, if they are like $100, probably not worth it.

Robbie
8/15/18 9:13 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I checked my Avon slicks, and they're nearly as old as I am.  Unless we want to source new 13" slicks, I don't think we should use my wheels.

Ha! I have some slicks like that in my garage...

Robbie
8/15/18 9:15 p.m.
Stampie said:
EvanB said:

I am unsure if i will make it or not but if i do i will help. 

Stampie, what ats wheels are they? Do you want to sell them?

I just got them last week after chasing them for over a year so not yet. I'll probably use them on the 2002.  Not sure the model but here's a picture.

Uh, those are sick. What tires are on them?

Robbie
8/15/18 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Those 14 inch hankooks would be a great fit on the stock wheels probably. Anyone know if we would need spacers to run that size tire on a stock wheel?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/16/18 5:57 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

They may hit the spring perch, which we could solve with coilovers!  I have some period correct 14x6s off an Impulse I can check the offset on also- internet says they should be +24mm, which gives a little more clearance vs the MR2's +40mm.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/16/18 6:03 a.m.

The axles at the junk yard are 30 each according to their website.  How is the budget looking?

Stampie
8/16/18 6:47 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

205/60/13 Proxes with 11 date codes.  They appear to have been stored well but that's a little old .

Robbie
8/16/18 10:13 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Robbie :

205/60/13 Proxes with 11 date codes.  They appear to have been stored well but that's a little old .

Yeah, I agree. Love the wheels and color though.

Stampie
8/16/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Tya

Robbie
8/16/18 10:30 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

The axles at the junk yard are 30 each according to their website.  How is the budget looking?

Budget was still a bit in flux until this morning (it seems svrex and I are both hoarders who know we have a problem but we just. can't. kill the beast), but we should be pretty good.

$300 car

$600 supercharged engine and trans + 4AGZE related parts (ecu, intercooler, wiring, accessories)

$600 shipping (Svrex is trailering the car to the challenge hotel for me/us)

$250 c50 trans and manual swap kit + random parts like piping and tubing and hoses and cheap unknown coilovers

Total challenge qualifying budget currently is 300+600+250 = 1150. MOOP (my out of pocket - healthcare folks in california will probably understand this joke) is 1750. I checked ebay sold items last night and though I think 'recouping with FMV' is a bit sketchy, I think an e51 trans alone is worth about $300. So if I include that recoup or line up a buyer - singleslammer, eh eh? We could be as low as 850. Plus the axles we will have to buy (say 150 for easy MAX number) puts us at 1k.

So I think $1009 class is POSSIBLE but a squeeze (leaves almost nothing for paint/graphics/wheels/suspension/etc). But as a full budget entry we have some breathing room.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/18 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

You forgot the spares with the car. 

If you remove some body parts, interior, the auto trans, and the OEM engine, it will be easy to zero out the $300 worth of car. 

I think that puts you at $550.  

Should be easy to compete in $1009. 

Robbie
8/16/18 10:42 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Robbie :

If you remove some body parts, interior, the auto trans, and the OEM engine, it will be easy to zero out the $300 worth of car. 

I think that puts you at $550. 

That's a good point. I wonder how much stuff I can sell before I even get there...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/16/18 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Also, day of some innocent bystander who isn't getting their hands dirty can post stuff on craigslist at ONE DAY ONLY GET IT NOW sale prices.  We can literally just start shoving stuff towards them, photo, upload via hotel wifi, done.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/16/18 11:03 a.m.

I’ll try to do as much documenting of the build as possible out of my lawn chair. Might need to buy a nicer one(lawn chair) for this year. 

In other news I’ll bring my misc bolts bin and some spacers in case we or others need them. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/16/18 11:14 a.m.

I will try to get to the junkyard next week.  If the axles are there and are not destroyed I will snag them.  Let me know if you think of anything else worth grabbing.

Robbie
8/16/18 2:24 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I will try to get to the junkyard next week.  If the axles are there and are not destroyed I will snag them.  Let me know if you think of anything else worth grabbing.

That would be awesome. I will let you know right away if anything else I can think of pops up.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/16/18 2:42 p.m.

Very cool. And paging J.G. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

J.G. is partly responsible for this fiasco (the engine was once his!)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/16/18 3:02 p.m.

That engine has been owned by so many GRMers at this point that you'd think it was for a Europa. 

1 2 3 4 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HWGOzNdnw7LWYcL4CE7qe16EEJrznnMAhP3Cht9rs2aD9l3YrOUmrJAbIKVuDT3a