1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/18 9:54 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

I will try to get to the junkyard next week.  If the axles are there and are not destroyed I will snag them.  Let me know if you think of anything else worth grabbing.

Motor mounts.

From what I can see, there are 4 engine/trans mounts on the aw11. a front and a rear, and two sides. Looks like the rear motor mount is different (transmission mount?) is different between manual and automatic. New rear mounts are super cheap (like less than $20), so I'll probably just grab a new one, but I cannot seem to find the 'side mounts' on rockauto to tell if they are different or not.

So, if available can you grab the side mounts just in case? Does anyone know if the side mounts are different or not?

reference rear mounts auto:

manual:

Robbie
8/20/18 9:55 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Do you have any motor mounts in your stash?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/18 9:59 a.m.

Check if there is a center mount attaching the bellhousing to the subframe, AE92s have those.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/20/18 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I have what's attached to the transmission in the pictures I sent you, can dig for more but I don't remember seeing any.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
8/20/18 7:15 p.m.
Robbie said:
pimpm3 said:

I will try to get to the junkyard next week.  If the axles are there and are not destroyed I will snag them.  Let me know if you think of anything else worth grabbing.

Motor mounts.

From what I can see, there are 4 engine/trans mounts on the aw11. a front and a rear, and two sides. Looks like the rear motor mount is different (transmission mount?) is different between manual and automatic. New rear mounts are super cheap (like less than $20), so I'll probably just grab a new one, but I cannot seem to find the 'side mounts' on rockauto to tell if they are different or not.

So, if available can you grab the side mounts just in case? Does anyone know if the side mounts are different or not?

reference rear mounts auto:

manual:

Side mounts are unavailble without going custom aftermarket poly. I reccomend taking the ones already on the car and using JB Window-weld to custom make new ones, al-la Driving4Answers youtube channel did.

I *think* the rear trans mount is different if the car is automagic.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/20/18 7:36 p.m.

I will try to go next week.  I have a work thing all this week through Sunday.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/18 7:54 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The MR2 logo is a bird????  

Oh. Do this but in ohner of the Japanese heritage you need to call it “Sake And Bigaku”.

Robbie
8/21/18 8:29 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

I will try to go next week.  I have a work thing all this week through Sunday.  

No problem! I can always rockauto or ebay the stuff, just let me know.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
8/21/18 10:33 a.m.

I'm just sayin' I'll be super impressed if this simply moves and stops without external human effort.  Looking forward to seeing it.   I will say the Firebird(?) PLB a few years back was super impressive.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/21/18 10:42 a.m.

Hopefully it will be more competitive than our last foray into building a mid engined forced induction challenger in the parking lot.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/21/18 10:53 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

With double autocross we won't be leaving it at the end of the track. laugh

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/21/18 11:03 a.m.

Don't speak too soon... laugh

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/18 11:10 a.m.

I love the ambition of the parking lot build crew!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/21/18 12:20 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I've been thinking about the actual build part of this, and I think the way to go (assuming things don't just melt down into chaos) will be to have two main groups, we'll call them A and B.  So the overview of the build would look something like this:

1:
A)
 Remove stock engine, transmission, axles, wiring, pedal assy.
B) Prep SC engine and trans, install clutch, mate the two together.

2:
A)
 Install SC wiring harness, manual shifter, pedal assy.  Assist B when done.
B) Swap fuel pump, install SC engine and trans.

3:
A)
 Connect axles, shifter cables, plumbing.  Assist when done.
B) Connect wiring, troubleshoot wiring, get engine to fire.

4:
A)
 Suspension and graphics.
B) Any remaining SC plumbing, exhaust, etc.

People can jump between the two groups at will but having the distinction between them will probably help a lot at the beginning.  We may want to have designated runners for parts/fluids/paint/food/drink as well as a person documenting, both would be separate from these groups.

We'll probably also want a piece of cardboard with two wishlists for "stuff" and "people" that we can add to and keep on display for people to jump in.  So 6 hours in it might say:
"Stuff: CV grease, JB weld, gear oil"
"People: Wiring wizard, aluminum TIG expert (BYOW)"

I don't know if any of this is a good idea, just brainstorming.

I mean this makes sense to me. I am guessing we will want to add brakes to that list though.

Robbie
8/21/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

yes, we will!

It will also probably fit in well with 2A because we have to swap the brake pedal as well as add clutch pedal. I dunno if that will require bleeding but it would be a good time to bleed and check the brakes. I was also thinking we might want to have someone take the rotors to have them turned before we re-install.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/21/18 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Centric rotors are about $10 each on rockauto, pads are about the same- might be worth just going new.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 1:46 p.m.

Centric C-tek metallics are particularly cheap...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/21/18 2:04 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie :

Centric rotors are about $10 each on rockauto, pads are about the same- might be worth just going new.

Rotors are not a budget hit. Buy new. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/21/18 2:07 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Hopefully it will be more competitive than our last foray into building a mid engined forced induction challenger in the parking lot.

So much to Do, so little time.

Robbie
8/21/18 2:35 p.m.
SVreX said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie :

Rotors are not a budget hit. Buy new. 

I can definitely grab a set of new rotors and pads, ill add it to my 'shopping cart'. Part of turning the existing ones however was 'rotating and unsprung' weight reduction. If you get them turned down to minimum thickness (or even a little past) they would be lighter than stock pieces. By how much? I don't know.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/21/18 2:44 p.m.

Get the new ones, the time and loss of a resource ie: helper, to get the rotors turned is not something we can afford to lose.. .

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/21/18 3:03 p.m.

Brakes only slow you down. I thought this was supposed to be a race!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/21/18 3:48 p.m.

Says the guy who removed his radiator fan...

Robbie
8/21/18 4:54 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Get the new ones, the time and loss of a resource ie: helper, to get the rotors turned is not something we can afford to lose.. .

Great point.

sooo, pads, rotors, and soft lines for all 4 corners including shipping from rockauto is $105 (wow that's cheap!)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/21/18 6:38 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Says the guy who removed his radiator fan...

He didn’t need slowing down once he removed the radiator fan! cheeky

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZpBaO1g9Mm8SUy1dsT0cBz1mR9iuPTUgNcy3aEwM2X2fBEXF6J9EWDmj2vWfsmN