1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/18 12:52 p.m.

I'm working on some different options for the side stripes now. Curving stripes onto a fender is a big PITA though.

I kept the colors the same as Robbie's early sketch, I think it looks good, and Toyota uses them in either order on different liveries. Anyone think I should switch them around?

GameboyRMH
8/23/18 1:41 p.m.

Parallel stripes and painted door handle:

With white spoiler...I tried it without the stripes on the spoiler and it was too plain:

Very '80s but not in the best way I don't think...and here's another idea I tried, altering the white stripes on the sides:

I think this is the best design so far for the side stripes but it would require us to fix more of the underlying black paint rather than just painting over it with a new color.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
8/23/18 1:53 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Option 2 looks better. The lighter wheels and lower gearing will be big advantages in a pure autocross event. I'd recommend having tire insulators or heaters ready in case there are problems getting the tires up to temperature, the AMC Spirit team had that problem last year with Hoosier slicks.

If you can find some SM7s you won't need heaters. I had to reduce the pressure twice last year because they were heating up so much. Alan McCrispin actually asked if I had brought a sprayer to cool them.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/23/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That looks great!  I agree- your last version is best  

Maybe I’m nit-picking, but I think the changes angle of the stripes makes a big deal. 

The white spoiler is a matter of opinion.  I think I like it (but it definitely needs the stripes). 

I don’t mind the colors being reversed. 

Keep up the good work!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/23/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I can probably help with the existing paint issue.  

Since the car is in my back yard, I can hit that fender with some black paint (so it is cured when it gets to the Challenge).  I won’t be able to do a great job, but I can do something that would be a sufficient base under those white stripes.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/23/18 2:27 p.m.

I’d you’ll get me a Pantene color number (or equal), I can hit those door handles with yellow too. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/23/18 2:30 p.m.

Another option would be to paint the entire rear deck white (with the rear of the fenders). That would cover the damage. 

Spoiler could be white, or stay black. 

GameboyRMH
8/23/18 3:16 p.m.

Here's the white decklid and white spoiler:

White decklid and black spoiler:

For matching the door handle color, the best thing to do might be to settle on a certain paint, like Rustoleum brush-on yellow or something like that, otherwise we'll have to color-match paint which is bad for the budget and availability. It'll still look good if the shades don't exactly match - which they likely won't appear to in any case due to the different textures.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
8/23/18 4:40 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Don't forget I also have some Isuzu Impulse wheels, 14x6 +24mm offset, 4x100 bolt pattern.  They look like this and may be lighter than the MR2 wheels:  

There are also these which are semi-local to me on CL: VW wheels

Dude! Those are sick!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/18 8:59 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Don't forget I also have some Isuzu Impulse wheels, 14x6 +24mm offset, 4x100 bolt pattern.  They look like this and may be lighter than the MR2 wheels:  

There are also these which are semi-local to me on CL: VW wheels

Yikes! You are quickly adding to the options! 

Those vw wheels would be great for my slicks, and the impulse wheels are Soo Soo Sooweet.

Robbie
8/23/18 9:06 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Parallel stripes and painted door handle:

What if you take this one and butt the colors together, as well as run a thin red stripe from the red all the way back (at the top of the red, just under the window), a thin orange stripe just under that, then yellow, etc.

I think that might help "integrate" the white while still covering the bad paint.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/23/18 9:35 p.m.

I can bring a set of 15x6.5 wheels to use as another option.  No tires though...

They are gold now though...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/23/18 9:37 p.m.

I can bring a set of 15x6.5 wheels to use as another option.  No tires though...

They are gold now though...

I also have a set of four 225 50 16 bfg r1's with 6 autocross runs on them...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/23/18 9:38 p.m.

Not sure how I posted twice... weird

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/31/18 5:22 p.m.

So unfortunately the junkyard crushed the mr2 they had :(

Looks like we are going to have to source axles from somewhere else...

Robbie
8/31/18 6:44 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

So unfortunately the junkyard crushed the mr2 they had :(

Looks like we are going to have to source axles from somewhere else...

Doh! Thanks for going to look.

No worries I'll get to work...

Robbie
9/7/18 10:36 a.m.

Well, if you remember my priorities thread, I like working on shift knobs.

Here's what I've been up to for the mr2:

I got this chunk of broken camshaft in my grmer secret Santa this year. So I started cutting in.

It started to get hot.

Really hot.

Yep, I'ma let that cool down a bit...

It actually drills easier than I expected.

Enlarged the hole with a slightly bigger bit and flattened the cut surface with an angle grinder.

I have the correct (m12x1.25 according to the internet) drill bit and tap on the way from Amazon so hopefully this will be ready to thread on for the challenge! Luckily the lobes are offset in a way that fits nicely in a right hand, I'll grab a pic of that soon.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/7/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

That is brilliant. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/19/18 5:30 p.m.

Any updates Robbie?  What do you need me to bring?

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/19/18 7:18 p.m.

This has " florida man" written all over it.

We swap out engines in parking lots ALL of the time!

I'm all in.... :)

Image result for florida parking lot car fix

Robbie
9/19/18 8:52 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

Any updates Robbie?  What do you need me to bring?

Well, I think one big update is I've connected with a_florida_man, who (amongst many other talents) has a tire machine locally who can help mount and balance our tires. Andy is bringing his 14 inch slicks that would work well on the stock wheels and I may be able to wrangle a 13 inch setup as well.

I'm trying to speak with svrex one more time before I pull the trigger but I have a big shopping cart of parts on rockauto ready to go.

In terms of what to bring, I think it is time to start making a list of tools and then have folks post here if they are bringing something. Things I am thinking of:

-sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers/pliers

-electrical tools like wire, crimpers, circuit tester

-jack stands and jacks

-engine hoist/chains

-battery impact and drills

-many many hammers

-breaker bars

-vise grips

-brake job tools like flare wrenches and bleeding stuff

-gear pullers/ball joint separators/etc

-axle nut sockets

-long extension cords

-welder? Grinders? I'm hoping not but ok to have a backup plan

-what else?

I'll be bringing most of the above but would rather not drag the engine hoist and welder down if I don't have to. I figure with hand tools and battery impacts people might want to bring their own preferred tools, or use mine, up to them. We cannot have too many jack stands or jacks or hammers, etc. I have a large box of safety stuff like gloves and glasses and ear muffs, but please bring your own if you have preferred stuff.

In terms of parts I think we are mostly covered between me and the few folks I have already spoken with who are bringing stuff.

I'll bring a cooler "a la mode" too.

Robbie
9/19/18 8:53 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

SWEET!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/19/18 9:35 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Available tomorrow afternoon to talk?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/19/18 9:37 p.m.

I can bring an engine hoist and some tall jackstands.  I have a welder but the issue is powering it.  The year we did the gi joe trailerparkcet we brought a huge generator from my dads house.

Robbie
9/19/18 9:45 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Robbie :

Available tomorrow afternoon to talk?

Sure am after about 3! Give me a ring or let me know when you're free.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bNnilFNZzDx4zHs6ByZLub4yNSXtbAtJF7s0YgJqFgFhgDCeW0KsqQp6nM5LOaIF