1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/5/18 9:54 p.m.

Anyone driven a base model 2018 (or similar) Elantra?

These are on my list of potential DDs to replace my 20 year old E36 M3box.  They are staggeringly cheap.  I'm cross shopping with used Mazda 3 hatches (<$10k) and Civic Sis.  The Elantra has a couple advantages on the finance side.

I don't expect similar performance but I was hoping for something a little bit fun to drive.  I was hoping to toss on some upgraded wheels/tires when the stock stuff wears out and maybe a set of drop springs or springs from the sport/gt/veloster(?)/whatever.  But it also has rear drums (wtf??) and a torsion beam rear suspension.

I don't have any experience with cars with torsion beams.  The closest I have experienced is the goofy straight axle in the Sentra SER which I hate with a passion.

Yes, I know I need to go drive one.  I hope to have a chance on Saturday this week before the snow hits, but I have *extremely limited* time at the moment which is why I'm replacing my DD in the first place. Tell me it will be ok, or should I suck it up and spend more?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/5/18 10:21 p.m.

What about the Elantra GT? They are still pretty darn cheap and are pretty fun. I think the Elantra GT prices are barely more than a non-GTI Golf (under $20k). The extra money you spend to get the GT probably isn't a lot more than you'll spend on upgraded wheels and suspension for the non-GT, in the end. 

Just a thought. 

EDIT: Just looked at my local Hyundai dealer here in Fairfax VA (a pretty well-to-do county) and the base Elantra GT can be gotten for under $17k (or mid-15s with various offers for military/recent college grad, etc). That's pretty damn cheap. Guessing the $2500 "Hyundai Offer" is something like VW has - a bigger discount if you finance through them. I think my GTI was $2k off by financing with VW. Seems to be a usual thing these days. 

In any case, that's only about $3k more than the non-GT Elantras at the same dealer...

One of the three in that price range is a manual, if that matters to you. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/5/18 10:26 p.m.

We drove a GT earlier this year, but our car had the twist beam. 

Swiss44
Swiss44 New Reader
12/5/18 10:33 p.m.

I have a 2017 Elantra GL (Canada). Basically all the basic options and no leather/Navi/Moonroof.

All I can say is if your looking for fun to drive, it ain't here. It has great economy but no power/fun .

I had a fully loaded limited for 24 hours while mine was in service, it drove better (Better rear sway bar, 17'' wheels) and had all the little bells and whistles but if your looking for fun to drive...

Either get the Turbo or get an Elantra GT.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/5/18 10:41 p.m.

My stepdad purchased a 17 too drive back and forth between Maryland and ohio, he loves it but it's not exciting. Both himself and my dad (dads is a 15 kia) purchased them with the 6 speed because they were even cheaper with a manual trans

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/6/18 5:35 a.m.
irish44j said:

What about the Elantra GT? They are still pretty darn cheap and are pretty fun. I think the Elantra GT prices are barely more than a non-GTI Golf (under $20k). The extra money you spend to get the GT probably isn't a lot more than you'll spend on upgraded wheels and suspension for the non-GT, in the end. 

Leftover 2018 Base Elantras can be found for $11,xxx.  Thats a very cheap 10 year warranty car.  The GT (or sport) price is significantly more.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/6/18 7:01 a.m.

I just picked up a base model 2018 Mazda 3 hatch for $16k + t/t.  Sticker on these was 20k.  Seemed like a pretty good deal to me- and it's a really sweet driving car.  I looked at, but did not drive, the Elantras.  The hatch IIRC was only available as a GT which had pretty mediocre real-world fuel economy.  I'm knocking down very high 30's with my 3, which I'm thrilled with.  

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/6/18 7:06 a.m.

The problem I see with buying a new Hyundai is that they depreciate so quickly, you'll be upside down on your loan for a long time if you finance it.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/6/18 7:11 a.m.

I bought a brand new Elantra Sport in 2017--the 1.6 Turbo, IRS, bigger brakes etc--for well under $18K in 2017--after discounts, rebate and Uber rebate.   It is a fun, comfortable car and at 29K into ownership, I have no regrets.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/18 7:20 a.m.

IIRC, they all come with the 2.0L GDI now, right? If so, its' the same basic car we bought the wife (14 forte Koup). The 6spd auto is smart, shifts predictably and really drives well. That 2.0L has great midrange punch, when driven nice will easily knock down upper 30's mpg. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/6/18 7:46 a.m.
bobzilla said:

IIRC, they all come with the 2.0L GDI now, right? If so, its' the same basic car we bought the wife (14 forte Koup). The 6spd auto is smart, shifts predictably and really drives well. That 2.0L has great midrange punch, when driven nice will easily knock down upper 30's mpg. 

There are a couple different 2.0s from what I've seen.  There is the 147hp elantra motor and 161hp elantra GT motor.

I'm sure they are both turds, but if the chassis was ok I might be convinced.  I just read a feature on a dealer website of a pass-thru rear seat though.  No fold down?  That's probably a dealbreaker :(

I really should focus my search on Mazda3 hatches, but there are very few to choose from within 100 miles from here.  And many are on shady used car lots.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/6/18 7:52 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The dealer I got mine from had it transported from another dealer ~200 mi away.  No charge.  Then detailed it and delivered it to my house, tags installed.  it was one of the last 2 on the East coast left in the color I wanted with the 6MT.

Man, buying a new car for the first time really spoiled me.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/6/18 8:28 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

The dealer I got mine from had it transported from another dealer ~200 mi away.  No charge.  Then detailed it and delivered it to my house, tags installed.  it was one of the last 2 on the East coast left in the color I wanted with the 6MT.

Man, buying a new car for the first time really spoiled me.  

Yeah, that's a new car though.  I'm looking at used.  I don't feel like dropping 16k+ on a car.  My original budget was $10k max, but when I came across something that had a 10 year/100k warranty for 11k it caught my eye.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/18 8:31 a.m.

The Elantra can be had in full "N" trim across the pond, so there are parts that will fit.  Maybe Hyundai will launch a performance catalog in the US? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/18 10:17 a.m.

Well, if you already think they're turds without trying one, I got nothing for you. I could tell you all day long that the chassis is really good, easy to work on and all that but what good does it do? Go buy the magical 3. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
12/6/18 1:43 p.m.

My experience is the same as Swiss44's, I've driven a base Elantra and a Limited Elantra and neither are nearly as fun to drive as my '17 Elantra Sport.

That being said, if you're looking for a reliable and safe commuter I don't think you can really beat the Elantra.  The 147 hp 2.0 is good old port injection, and the 6-speed auto seems pretty trouble-free.  It'd probably be sort of fun with a few add-ons.

I'm kind of thinking about upgrading/downgrading to a leftover '18 Limited because my commute sucks and I'm starting to feel like I'd rather have an appliance over performance I rarely get to use.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/6/18 2:06 p.m.

I have a ‘15 base model I have had since new. 

Wonderful appliance. But I wouldn’t put it in the “fun to drive” category.

It’s a heavy car.  That’s part of what makes it a very solid driver.  And also what will keep it from ever being very tossable.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/6/18 2:20 p.m.

At 10k budget, why not buy a MT Fit?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/18 2:24 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

2800lbs is heavy? Damn.... I guess I own nothing but gargantuans. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/6/18 2:43 p.m.

Almost exact same curb weight as a Honda S2000...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/18 2:49 p.m.

For those complaining about the handling, how many are still running OE size tires and all seasons? 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/6/18 2:51 p.m.

Well, I have several sub 2000 lb cars. wink

It has a heavy (sluggish) feel to it. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
12/6/18 3:55 p.m.
2002maniac said:

The problem I see with buying a new Hyundai is that they depreciate so quickly, you'll be upside down on your loan for a long time if you finance it.

I don't think their depreciation is worse than average now. They're an above average reliability brand and I think that's begun to sink into the public consciousness. We bought my wife's accent very slightly used 2.5 years ago and paid a bellow average price (BTW - not a single issue). Asking prices are literally the same now.

Is the base Elantra that much cheaper than all of it's competitors? I thought it was similar to many.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/18 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

depends on location. Some places depriciation is severe, others it's on par with the Japanese companies. It's part of the reason we switched to Kia's because their depreciation is still good for lightly used. 

I still will never recommend a Korean car to someone who buys something new every couple of years. They are more of a "buy it and drive it into the ground" kind of car. Much less money thrown away that way 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/6/18 6:16 p.m.
Snrub said:

Is the base Elantra that much cheaper than all of it's competitors? I thought it was similar to many.

Yes, the base model is very basic and is very cheap.  So cheap that I honestly don't think depreciation is that much of an issue.  Several year old Elantras still trade for the same amount.

Bob - I don't think the entire car is a turd, I was just guessing that the base level motor is.  That on its own doesn't bother me as it is a reliable mill and not grossly underpowered.  But if its surrounded by a car that has no hopes of being even moderately sporty I may take a different route.  Again, this is weighed against an excellent warranty and easier financing (meaning I get to buy into the market more while its down).

The weight isn't too much of a concern for me as almost anything suitable for appliance duty that is new-ish is going to weigh that much.  My DD is ~2400lb, but its 21 years old and rattly as hell.

I found a 6spd 2.0 SE local to me I hope to have a look at this weekend.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wGWhtJBBduollGQ6fdMlcYJTJa6XwJ7uvMkcidJqw51mb6ASjX9Fw2fPCWdRzFax