1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/20/18 9:45 a.m.

I am so happy that this is a success, I've been familiar with this since inception and was involved in creating the show car that came out in 2016.  At the time the OTT gullwing doors were so people who think it was a pure concept car not really related to the production vehicle, then when the production vehicle came out with regular doors but otherwise very similar the press went nuts.  It's an amazing place to travel in comfort for long distances.

I'm only sad that the really amazing Continental isn't selling, but people don't seem to want cars any more.  I've driven Continentals to and from Chicago a couple of times and they are wonderful to drive, you can be slowed by a snow storm and still get out feeling fresh after 6 hours.  If I wasn't planning on getting a new Bronco, I think I'd be taking advantage of gravity like depreciation getting a used Continental black label in a couple of years.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/20/18 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I really like the Continental.  Beautiful car.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/20/18 10:02 a.m.

I think the Continental was hurt buy the fact that they gave the MKZ the same front end as the Continental. 

In pictures the Continental looks big. When you see it on the lot you realize that it is based off the Fusion/MKZ, not the big chassis that was the MKS.  

For years now I have refered to the Taurus/MKS as a SUV disguised as a sedan. 

However, I would be interested in a fully depreciated Continental. Maybe it too will get the Yacht Club interior soon. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/18 10:18 a.m.

I drive a low mileage 2008 Navigator.  Got all the goodies.  For us, it performs well, and is a very comfortable highway cruiser.  Would love to own a new one one, but for that kind of dough, there are plenty of other things in life, I would like to do.  It's nice too dream though.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/20/18 11:41 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And impressive stats on the engine. So, what would you swap one into? 

I'm thinking a later Mk VIII:

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/20/18 11:45 a.m.

The Continental should have suicide doors to differentiate it from all the other luxo  coupes.   It needs something to stand out from the crowd.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/21/18 6:52 p.m.
alfadriver said:
David S. Wallens said:

Alfadriver, you'd know: Is the Navigator powered by EcoBoost? I noticed that the site doesn't mention that word. Or is EcoBoost reserved for Ford-branded cars? Either way, heck of a drivetrain, especially in that tune. 

Yes.  Same, basically as the other trucks and the GT (production GT, not the racing one).  Some big steps taken in 2018 for this powertrain- 10 speed trans, and a host of engine improvements.  

The one time I get to drive a dev vehicle I had a 2018 F150 with the 10 speed. however it was stuck in limp mode so out of 10 forward gears I only got the 1st 3 :(

Also my thoughts are congruent with yours, please keep buying these so I can keep my boss very happy.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/21/18 6:54 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

The Continental should have suicide doors to differentiate it from all the other luxo  coupes.   It needs something to stand out from the crowd.

Agreed. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/21/18 7:08 p.m.

98k is more than i bought my house for by a large margin, holy screaming monkey testes.

Having said that.....i would love to see that engine in lots of stuff, my ranger? absolutely and mark 7 would be cool as hell too

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
4/21/18 8:03 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

Rumor has it, that you might get your wish

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
4/22/18 1:54 a.m.

Of all the Black sedans at this weeks spring meetings for the IMF crowd it's Mercedes and Caddies with only a few Continentals if even that. Nothing says solving world hunger like blocks of black on black luxo barges. However I'd buy the current version of what I used to call the 'circum-navigator'. Because y'all be stressing 'tow'!smiley

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
4/22/18 5:32 a.m.

Not my world at all.  $100K, 3 tons, 16 mpg in the city. Another luxobarge clogging up the streets and parking lots.   Americas obsession with bigger is better to the extreme.  Black Label? Maybe they can release a Bill Blass, Cartier or Givenchy edition like they did back in the 70s on their town car. Sorry Lincoln,  I vote obscene, you won't be getting my money. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/22/18 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

insert ‘here, eat a Snickers.......’ meme  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
4/22/18 10:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to Feedyurhed :

insert ‘here, eat a Snickers.......’ meme  

Yes,  I knew I would come across that way! Good one though.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/22/18 3:07 p.m.

After casting about wildly for a Lincoln design language every few years Ford really hit a attractive and distinctive look.  I saw the Continental the other day and loved it and this behemoth looks the part as well.  Who did they hire?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/18 3:19 p.m.

Love it but the price is above my pay grade. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/23/18 6:54 a.m.
Shaun said:

After casting about wildly for a Lincoln design language every few years Ford really hit a attractive and distinctive look.  I saw the Continental the other day and loved it and this behemoth looks the part as well.  Who did they hire?

David Woodhouse came over from the London office about three years ago.  The Continental had already been designed (styled) by then but there was a lot of detail work still to do. The new Navigator was under his direction from start to finish though.  As have been all subsequent including the New Aviator Concept that was just unveiled at New York, you'll have to wait to see the final production version though.  I hasten to add David is the Lincoln Design Exec Director and head of advanced, not the person who actually designed the Navigator.Lincoln Aviator Concept (2018) - picture 6 of 23 - Side - image resolution: 1280x960

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/23/18 7:11 a.m.

The Aviator is based on the Exporer? Does that mean a possible third row and 5k towing? 

I look at the motor that they gave the Navigator and think that they may give the Aviator a similar hotted up motor and..... holy moly is it dead sexy. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/23/18 7:26 a.m.

This thread got me looking at the Lincoln wikipedia page. Lincoln has (and has had, for quite some time) a hybrid. Huh. This may make my search a little bit more octegenarianesque.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
4/23/18 7:58 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

THe MKZ hybrid is more or less the same thing as the Fusion Hybrid I believe. They seem to be fairly under the radar cars, but have gotten solid reviews since their release.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/23/18 8:39 a.m.

My #1 lottery car is a loaded Conti Black label in Rasphody in Blue. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/23/18 8:56 a.m.

The new design language really is pretty, and that Aviator is sexy. 

It also makes me hopeful that the guy with the inside track at Ford likes the upcoming Bronco enough that he's holding out on these for one. That's a good sign.

EDIT: you know, I'd never really looked at the Connie. That thing is amazing! 400HP/400tq? I'll take mine in Rhapsody blue with the Cappuccino interior please! Wow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cn5zN6c3xJDrL57ihp8xGfkxsKa6biIUUuCDgh96w49mELosWasAvLg7nogd0DKc