David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/7/18 2:16 p.m.
feature_image

Yes, you can still get a Mazda6 with a manual transmission. The six-speed stick doesn’t come paired with the new 2.5-liter turbo engine, though. Insert Sad Panda here.

As Mazda’s media materials boast, however, at least it’s not a CVT: “In too many instances, turbocharged engines are mated to continuously variable automatic transmissions (CVT), operating in a narrow band of …

Read the rest of the story

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/7/18 3:01 p.m.

i think a tuned one of those would be a hoot.  do you know if it comes with a limited slip? didn't see it called out.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/7/18 4:46 p.m.

A Mazda 5 with a stick?

How many of those are they going to make?  Four?

I just don't see a lot of modern buyers looking for something like this.  They will probably be ripe for a big discount when they don't sell.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
6/7/18 5:08 p.m.

I want to drive one of these, I really liked the 2015 I drove with the NA 2.5. 

From what I hear, they need real tires though. Hopefully Mazda will offer a summer performance option soon. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
6/7/18 5:29 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I feel like that's always been an issue with the 6. My speed6 has 215's on it with 275 horsepower.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
6/7/18 5:47 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Agreed. I never understood why they didn't go wider on the speed 6. 

It sounds like with this new 2.5T they were shooting for noise reduction over grip. 

The rebound springs they added sound cool.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/8/18 8:19 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

I mounted 225/45/17's on my regular 3's stock 17x7's (had 205/50/17's stock) and it completely changed the way the car handled. It was good before, but it is an absolute hoot in the curves now! 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/18 10:29 a.m.

I think the narrow tires were a compromise for fuel economy. And it definitely works. I had a 2014 Mazda 6 with the stick and reliably got 35-37 mpg in mixed driving.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/8/18 10:39 a.m.

...keeps its torque converter locked through most of its operation, giving a more connected sense of controllability...

Mazda continues to demonstrate that they are one of the few manufacturers who truly 'get it'.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LFIJbAC6MV3G9nB6W8xvxgHEYUfFFi7q5I73SBIw4TKBSpLRx4y6i3vck8bX4Pfb