David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/18 1:13 p.m.
feature_image

Perhaps third time is the charm for Maybach? The German brand first built cars from 1919 until World War II, with Daimler Benz reintroducing the nameplate as a premium brand to showrooms in 2002. Due to poor sales, that effort was dead a decade later.

Now the nameplate is being attached to the top-tier Mercedes-Benz S-class sedans. Unlike the previous …

Read the rest of the story

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/24/18 2:06 p.m.

Honestly when I saw this at the NAIAS in January my thought was 'It's actually pretty good value for less than $200K considering what you're getting'  Not my kind of car, but the back seat is a glorious place to be heading from the board room to you G600.

David S. Wallens
5/24/18 2:22 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Honestly when I saw this at the NAIAS in January my thought was 'It's actually pretty good value for less than $200K considering what you're getting'  Not my kind of car, but the back seat is a glorious place to be heading from the board room to you G600.

And that's kind of the point. If you operate in this financial bracket and life situation, yeah, this is what you'd want. 

When I had the press car, I ran into some friends of ours. Their first comment? "We were looking at getting one of these." Yeah, a new Maybach. So people like this do exist. 

Personally, if I had the scratch, I'd do the AMG S-class. All black, of course. :)

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/24/18 2:25 p.m.

Incredible car.  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/24/18 2:29 p.m.

Man I'd have spent the day with the staff shuttling each other between Krystals.

The interior details are stunning.

David S. Wallens

And a PS to my post. We discussed what they'd cross-shop against the Maybach. Their answer without hesitation: a Bentley. But the Maybach is a way better deal, and they've always had Benzes. Also a consideration, she added: Porsche Panamera. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork

We've been using a car service to drive us the 90 miles into Atlanta for business travel lately. It's only about $40 more than 2 tickets on the bus shuttle, and they'll pick you up at home. Plus, the luxury...

They're using a Genesis G90 5.0. The back seat has about 75% of the features on the Maybach - reclines, but not as far, has the collapsing front seat controls, stretch wheelbase, heated/cooled seats (no massage), hvac and media controls, power retractable window shades...

It's a damn nice way to get to the airport. I can't imagine how nice it must be in the Maybach. I considered sending them a link to the article but I'm afraid they might actually buy one and then I couldn't afford to use them any more...

David S. Wallens
5/24/18 2:31 p.m.
The0retical said:

Man I'd have spent the day with the staff shuttling each other between Krystals.

The interior details are stunning.

Sadly I didn't take this one to Waffle House. I took the AMG 63 Coupe to one.

My wife and I did play the "I don't know, what do you want to eat?" game while out with the Maybach.

We wound up at Panera. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/18 2:45 p.m.

I’ve seen a few of these around, used to see the old style more often.  Wasn’t the old one also an S class that had been changed up? All things considered though, I do think it’s going to do well. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/24/18 3:42 p.m.

By the time I can pop down to the dealer and get something in this class I'll be an empty nester which makes that back seat kind of useless. It would be fantastic for mid day naps at the track though. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/18 7:49 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

By the time I can pop down to the dealer and get something in this class I'll be an empty nester which makes that back seat kind of useless. It would be fantastic for mid day naps at the track though. 

MB really does owe you one. Considering the amount of press you got for the R63, it should be enough leverage to convince them to loan you a Maybach for One Lap next year. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/18 8:54 a.m.

I keep looking at a Maybach 57. At the bottom end, I could swing one, but there are two problems.

First, the maintenance costs, with expensive consumables, and expensive non-consumables. Almost everything is bespoke. There's a video on YouTube about a wrecked one that needs a $20k left rear door. If I recall, the alternator is water cooled and most of the size of a Smart engine.

The second, and bigger problem is opportunity cost. I'd love to wait about, and to have something so incredibly special, but the $40-50k luxury car needs to handle if it's going to earn it's parking space. I should fill that spot with a used Panamera, or an SS, or something with an M, AMG, or even a Polestar badge. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYOKrUeSbym7jhmFbCqoordnW0VKyorY80RX2GQXxctQUsgWPQzykpC3EwXc1sng