Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/12/18 10:21 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Spring is in the air. Temperatures are warming, flowers are blooming, and this year’s crop of new tires is hitting the shelves. This is the time when tire makers release their latest summer tires–especially the 200-treadwear, …

Read the rest of the story

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
7/12/18 10:31 a.m.

It looks like some numbers got transposed on the ES car results.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
7/13/18 12:17 p.m.

Nice informative test!  My only comment is to say that I've been running Dunlop Direzzas on my street cars ('99 M Rdstr, '99 M Coupe & '01 M Rdstr) for several years.  One (1) set of gen one and two (2) sets of DZII SS (all are staggered 235/40x17 & 255/40x17 tires on 7.5" & 9.0" stock wheels for both '99s, and the '01 has 8.0" & 9.5" SSR Comps). They have excellent dry and wet traction__wet traction being frequently tested here in SW FL__inspiring confidence under all circumstances.

The one (1) set of first gen tires should probably be swapped out soon, more due to age than wear, so I will stick with Dunlop, only the DZIIIs this time. 

I should look to see if the DZIIIs come in a 195/65 x 15 for my Healey, currently running on some aged out Hankooks!

Good job guys!

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/13/18 2:05 p.m.

So basically once again nothing has changed this year. Want to be fast? Get the RE71R or the Rivals. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/14/18 6:00 p.m.

Thanks for doing this test guys! It sounds like the Dunlop is in the mix depending on car setup, temp and driving style. 

I confess, I'm having a hard time understanding the results of the wider 225 on the ES car... can someone clarify? Were they all 225 on a 6" wheel on the ES car?

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
3/5/19 3:26 p.m.

What about a "Budget Tire Test" with the Ohtsu 8000, it's the reincarnation of the Falken 512 we loved for cheap when you tested it. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
3/5/19 4:45 p.m.

Love the tire tests, lots of details in this one too!

Ohtsu 8000 - is not in the same class. Additionally, they're not even tested in say the aggregation test data found on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk . IMO GRM is doing a great job of testing tires intended for the specific purposes most relevant to its readers.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/19 5:23 p.m.
Snrub said:

Ohtsu 8000 - is not in the same class. Additionally, they're not even tested in say the aggregation test data found on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk . IMO GRM is doing a great job of testing tires intended for the specific purposes most relevant to its readers.

^^THIS^^

they test tires that people are interested in at the pointy end of the field because that's what sells subscriptions.. 

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
3/6/19 7:06 p.m.

tirerack already does these tests for free geniuses, GRM is built on bangs for the bucks and a Budget Tire Test would sell more than tires already tested.

spacecadet
3/6/19 8:14 p.m.
svxsti said:

tirerack already does these tests for free geniuses, GRM is built on bangs for the bucks and a Budget Tire Test would sell more than tires already tested.

IMHO Bang for the buck means nothing if you can't be competitive in a competition environment. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/7/19 3:04 p.m.
spacecadet said:
svxsti said:

IMHO Bang for the buck means nothing if you can't be competitive in a competition environment. 

.........and that's what I love about it, when the guy with a cheap car and cheap tires beats everyone, now that's GRM.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
3/7/19 3:31 p.m.

No one is winning with 300TW tires. GRM has tested various 200tw options for various budgets and even some >300tw-ish Michelin PS4(S) and Conti ECS, for people who want to blend activities with a true street tire. Maybe there's a chance you could land near the top in a less than competitive event with one of those. There are lots of other budget tires in the 300tw class that have been tested elsewhere, including options made by Ohtsu's parent company.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/19 8:05 p.m.

200TW is relevant due to ST classes and crap can enduro racing rules. Nothing makes 300tw relevant. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/7/19 9:03 p.m.
captdownshift said:

200TW is relevant due to ST classes and crap can enduro racing rules. Nothing makes 300tw relevant. 

I guess all the weekend warriors are nothing lol, I've seen BFG SS A/S tires turn faster laps than a 100tw tire on the same car. Hell I even bought a set of Conti DWS for the summer. Bang for the buck is cost per mile in my book.

spacecadet
3/8/19 12:24 a.m.
svxsti said:
captdownshift said:

I guess all the weekend warriors are nothing lol, I've seen BFG SS A/S tires turn faster laps than a 100tw tire on the same car. Hell I even bought a set of Conti DWS for the summer. Bang for the buck is cost per mile in my book.

It all depends on what the end goal is. You openly stated TR posts videos and comparison info on their tires. So use that info for what you want to know. 

GRM tire tests offer feedback from National champion autocrossers in subjective and quantitative form. 

If you just want to turn laps and get max life from your tires regardless of what the times are and where you finish, that's awesome. But solo is built at its core as a driving competition and as such, people want to run the best stuff and the GRM tests give that data.

Andy did the 300TW test because it's OLOA relevant info because the Tires have to do 3500+ street miles and last a week at 10 different tracks. 

GRM has also turned down tire test data from Whitener before and he's put it up on tracktuned.com when GRM didn't want it. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/8/19 1:35 p.m.
spacecadet
3/8/19 3:45 p.m.
svxsti said:

I miss the good old days, https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/cheap-skates/

A very different time... 

The super 200's that have come out since the creation of SCCA Street class in 2014, and OUSCI have changed the game. These tires bring a breadth of performance and life options. 

The non Hoosier market of performance tires has lots of options now. 

Tires are also just more expensive. The price of a RE71R in a 205/50-15 has gone up 10% in the past 3 years. They're $128 today and in 2016 were $115. 

You and I come from very different schools of thought. I look at value per dollar to be competitive at the pointy end, otherwise all that matters is how long will a tire last. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wmXbGtaJdjBRORjeXV25xFIzv2pvkPQdfblewCWhYnts3WHbKUckAT0U4WeHyzp3