David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/24/18 3:52 p.m.
feature_image

The Volkswagen GTI might not be all-new for 2018, but it does get some updates this year, including a 10-percent bump in power. Output is now 220 horsepower.

We sampled the top-of-the-line Autobahn model. While it doesn’t get any more power, it does receive the Golf R’s brakes and what Volkswagen calls “an electronically controlled, torque sensing, limited-slip VAQ differential.” …

Read the rest of the story

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/25/18 5:34 a.m.

I was this > < close to taking home a leftover Autobahn, DSG, Performance Pack, '16 GTI in the Spring of '17.  I test drove it, and a '17 SE.  Absolutely loved both.  I still think of "what might have been."

In the couple of weeks I was haggling on the '16, and a few days before the dealer had talked me into coming back and talking it over again, VW was allowed to sell their '15 TDI Dieselgate leftovers.  I showed up to talk GTI one last time, and left with a '15, TDI, DSG, SE Golf. laugh 

When I start pondering about what might have been, I just remind myself of all the money and fuel I've saved. 

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/25/18 8:19 a.m.

I see lots of leftover 2018 inventory of S's and SE's for decent prices, and they now offer the 6 year/72k mile warranty on new VW's, which makes them very tempting. Sounds like the Autobahn has some nice stuff, but to me not worth the extra $$$.

aw614
aw614 New Reader
7/25/18 8:28 a.m.

I still can't get over the huge price increase for the autobahn edition, that is getting into Golf R money. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/18 11:51 a.m.

I bought a CPO '16 GTI SE 6-speed with the Lighting Package on Saturday for just under $21k. I've been a pretty serious VW nay-sayer for a long time but it is truly everything I wanted in a car. Quick, very comfortable, economical, fun to drive, with a big hatch to put stuff in.

All that said I also threw down on an additional extended warranty until 120k, so at least I'm covered if the car confirms my worst VAG fears...

I do agree that the Autobahn is some serious money to put down on a GTI. The SE has 90% of the features at quite a big discount.

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
7/25/18 1:22 p.m.

When you can get an 2018 SE for $25k, the full MSRP Autobahn really gets ridiculous-sounding in comparison. Never mind that a Golf R can be had at $38k.   Great cars though, if you like a front-driver. 

foshjowler
foshjowler New Reader
7/25/18 2:28 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Shoot. You could find a new Focus RS for that money in many parts of the country.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/18 6:11 p.m.

Or a new WRX for more power and a pile of cash left in your pocket.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
7/26/18 2:36 a.m.

Not to knock the car but at that money I'd buy a left over Nismo Juke.  Sure I'd be the object of more scorn than envy but I'm okay with that.  smiley  I'm sure the Golf would kick the Nissans butt also but again I'd be okay with that.  Would the Golf get me more respect and possibly quim yes most likely but.....devil

TR7
TR7 Reader
7/26/18 10:13 a.m.

I was able to buy a leftover autobahn at an S price, with 0% financing. Something I couldnt do with the Focus RS (or Golf R). 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 12:36 p.m.

And let's not forget that the GTI is offered by a bunch of liars and cheats who tried to ruin the environment for our children, and then got away with it by and large.  

TR7
TR7 Reader
7/26/18 1:21 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I keep forgetting that VW cheated the system and got away with it. No other company has ever done anything like that in recent history of environmental regulations in the US. Wait...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-daimler-emissions/software-may-have-helped-daimler-pass-u-s-emissions-tests-report-idUSKCN1G20B2

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/american-honda-motor-company-clean-air-act-settlement

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-02/u-s-said-to-seek-major-fines-recalls-in-fiat-diesel-settlement

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/hyundai-and-kia-clean-air-act-settlement

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/18 1:48 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

And let's not forget that the GTI is offered by a bunch of liars and cheats who tried to ruin the environment for our children, and then got away with it by and large.  

There are a few folks in jail who would probably dispute your assertion that they got away with it.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/26/18 3:03 p.m.

.....and BMW and Mercedes with their diesels. 

Not that what VW did was right but they certainly weren't the only ones. They did double down and try to cheat again after being caught. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/18 4:41 a.m.

De-railed thread:

The ruling now brings to around $30 billion the costs VW will incur after being caught rigging two of its diesel engines to pass U.S. emissions tests — NBC news

30 billion (in the US) and jobs lost for some of those in charge is hardly "getting away with it".  Yes, VAG can afford it.  No, there was nothing "right" about rigging the cars. Back to the thread subject, the high priced GTi.

Noddaz

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
7/29/18 2:54 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

yeah, most of the major manufacturers just hire lobbyists and pump a ton of cash into politicians' pockets in exchange for legislation that makes that kind of stuff "legal." 

Just think about the funky laws that somehow allow Ford and GM to meet fuel efficiency standards even though most of what they sell are big pickup trucks and SUVs and they're basically killing off most of their fuel-efficient cars. But they didn't have to trick regulators, they just had to pay off legislators. 

.Back on topic, GTI is on my short list when my WRX finally bites the dust, Not real interested in the Autobahn when the SE seems to have all the stuff I want for $10k cheaper. I've never wanted to buy a VW before, but the new 6/72 warranty puts my mind at ease to some degree, and GTi is one of the few sporty cars out there that is affordable, gets good fuel economy, and still comes wht 6MT and LSD.  Looking at you, Hyundai....put an LSD in the Elantra Sport already....

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
8/1/18 11:45 a.m.

So what is realistic pricing and financing on the 2018 SE's? For a 4 door manual (might have to test drive DSG) SE with leather?

Also, I don't see any VW financial offers, best rates I'm seeing are hovering around 3%. Seems like so much car for the money, especially with the warranty.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/24/18 7:01 p.m.

ok GRM, you convinced me, 2 months after my last post two up, haha...... The 10-year-old, 170k WRX was sold last weekend, and today picked up an SE for $26k out the door. 6MT, Night Blue, LSD. LED headlights. Cloth interior (I prefer that to leather, personally). 

I still immensely dislike the wheels and have every intention of getting something else that's less "import tuner." I also plan to paint the calipers black. Because ugly sliding calipers should not be accentuated!

I would say it's interesting that the GTIs on the lot had three different tires on various cars. Some had some crappy Pirelli Grand-Touring tire, Some had a so-so Bridgestone, and mine had higher performance A/S Hankook S1 Noble 2's, which feel a lot better than the other ones. 

All in all, so far I really enjoy driving it, though it doesn't have the raw get-up-and-go that my WRX (tuned, 280awhp) had. The LSD on this was very impressive accelerating through corners on the rainy drive home, I have to say. The car has nice manners and a nicely-weighted steering, and excellent brakes. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
9/24/18 8:59 p.m.

Congrats! Cool car. What's the warranty like?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/24/18 10:10 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Congrats! Cool car. What's the warranty like?

6 years/72,000 bumper-to-bumper ("limited" and powertrain). So basically it beats everyone except Hyundai.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/24/18 10:12 p.m.

I do wish they didn't have such rubber-band tires on them. That small of a sidewall really scares me on my crappy commute, but with the huge sport brakes on this, only certain 17s will even fit. I may actually just get a taller sidewall for the 18s since there is plenty of wheel-well space at stock height.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/24/18 10:49 p.m.

I went from WRX to GTI and haven't looked back. Now, it was an '02 WRX wagon, but the '15 GTI is a whole different class than anything else I drove in comparison.  I didn't like the focus RS or WRX when we were cross shopping.... too puerile.  The GTI is fast, fantastic engine, slicker than snot 6 speed manual transmission, and got my wife, two kids, and a cat across country in our move, with aplomb. 

TR7
TR7 Reader
9/25/18 9:49 a.m.

Congrats, welcome to the club. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/25/18 10:54 a.m.

Once my daughter starts driving I plan on giving her my current '08 GX470 and picking up a GTi/Golf R for myself.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/25/18 11:18 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

You know I can't blame you.   I'm still very annoyed with VW brass, and the entire dieselgate conspiracy, but I very much enjoyed the Golf R I recently spent time in.  Yes, it's over $40K, but you know what?------ I'd rather have a Golf R than a Mustang GT, Camaro SS, or CTR.  It's a damn good car, and although I hate to admit it, it's probably better with the DSG than it is as a manual.  

I hate that VW ruined their reputation as a car company that actually gave a damn about the environment.   I certainly can't blame someone for buying a new one though---as the R at least is an extremely versatile, refined machine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gPV21tOTWvq0sFSe9krhRYRbCugyR1k3PwX4FDNYnNjiBV1qQKMKe60P8zH5jhGF