David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/7/18 4:01 p.m.
feature_image

The 2018 Volkswagen Jetta that we drove is a bit of a lame duck as an all-new Jetta will be here for the 2019 model year. So call our time with the sixth-generation Jetta a bit of a benchmark for the new one.

We sampled the Jetta 1.4T SE fitted with a five-speed manual transmission–yep, just five gears. This model …

Read the rest of the story

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
5/10/18 3:50 p.m.

Interesting comment about the Jetta's manual transmission shifter, as there was a time (not all that long ago) when Honda AND VW were touted as having the best manual shifting feel.  Perhaps this car was a "one off" as so many cars are now equipped with automatic transmissions?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/10/18 5:16 p.m.

Sounds like the VW’s pocketbook has ran low and now they are forced to use crap materials to make their vehicles and offer them at a lower price in order to compete with everyone else and get business back to where it was. IMO. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
5/10/18 5:20 p.m.

We drove one when car shopping for Mrs. F1y.

It was just so vanilla.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
5/10/18 6:09 p.m.

I think the shifters on newer VW's aren't terrible. The 16 Golf Sport Wagen I test drove last night had a nice shifter. Much better than the Forester manual transmission I test drove last week angry...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n1O86FCKgXtVoYxBGvxyP6F9qo4rQoAG67pIAX5rGYDuUyWL6oQUdX00iJbfhDba