Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
5/7/19 9:56 a.m.
feature_image

For decades, OEMs and their in-house tuning firms have been turning pedestrian cars into chart-topping performers. BMW’s M division gave us the M3, Abarth gave us fast Fiats, and AMG gave us, well, a faster version of nearly every Mercedes ever built.

We’d argue that there’s a much less exotic brand that’s given us far more special cars, though: Ford. …

Read the rest of the story

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/7/19 1:50 p.m.

I consider the Raptor to be one of the most impressive enthusiast vehicles on offer today. 

I know people bemoan the Lightning but in 2019 you can get a 4-door Raptor that can haul your family/friends, do everything it does off road, and still be just fast through a 1/4 mile on 35" all terrain tires as the last Lightning was. This a far more compelling and impressive total effort than any Lightning has ever been.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
5/7/19 3:58 p.m.

I think that says a lot about the new Raptor. The Lightning was cool in an early 2000s kind of way, but the Raptor has its lunch. Of course, if SVT were to create a new Lightning...

Surely they'll create a Ranger Raptor before that, though.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

I don't know that we'll see a ranger based raptor, the massive size of the F150 based raptor gives it stability at pace over terrain, a ranger based variant would lack this advantage. However a RWD V6 Ecoboost based ranger with a 6 SPD and limited slip would be very Lightening badge worthy, and do so using parts bin bits while managing to not use an engine offered in the mustang. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/7/19 7:30 p.m.
Vigo said:

I consider the Raptor to be one of the most impressive enthusiast vehicles on offer today. 

I know people bemoan the Lightning but in 2019 you can get a 4-door Raptor that can haul your family/friends, do everything it does off road, and still be just fast through a 1/4 mile on 35" all terrain tires as the last Lightning was. This a far more compelling and impressive total effort than any Lightning has ever been.

Who will be the first to make an ON ROAD specific package for the Raptor.  Make a Raptor into a Lightning.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/8/19 12:29 a.m.

If money and parking / storage space were not real problems for me........

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/8/19 8:50 a.m.

If I could fit one in my garage, I'd buy it.  Unfortunately it's way too long to fit, it's not even close!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/19 3:15 p.m.

Do you know something we don't, Alfa?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/8/19 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

No, lol, not at all.  Just a suggestion to someone at SEMA.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/8/19 6:02 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Vigo said:

Who will be the first to make an ON ROAD specific package for the Raptor.  Make a Raptor into a Lightning.

Kinda surprised Hennessy hasnt already. 

That being said, an s/c coyote 2wd f150....would be badass. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/19 3:35 a.m.

If they sold it as a regular cab with 8’ bed I’d be all over it.  No I wouldn’t.  I’d buy a Power Wagon in Tradesman trim.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/9/19 6:42 a.m.
Mndsm said:
alfadriver said:
Vigo said:

I bet Lebanon Ford in Ohio would be happy to build you one. 

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/9/19 8:08 a.m.

The Lightning lives on, in somewhat more obscurity at it is a dealer package that has gotten some recent PR:

650HP supercharged V8 RCSB Lightning

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/9/19 9:14 a.m.

Yummy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/9/19 10:24 a.m.

That's pretty tasty!

I'd lower it, a lot. And want wider wheels, but otherwise pretty awesome.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/9/19 11:46 a.m.

One of those "SVT Lightnings" in the color red would be perfect to haul a lot of overnight JDM parts in. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/19 12:17 p.m.
Mndsm said:
alfadriver said:
Vigo said:

There's a newish RCSB F150 up the road from me with a blower on it. Seems to be an older dude's daily. I'm not the biggest fan of some of his aesthetic modifications, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous every time I hear that supercharger whine go by. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/9/19 1:47 p.m.

I’m kind of shocked they can no longer move cars but they plan on moving a lot of these(?) Then again, I’m apparently far from the “average car buyer,” so wtf do I know?

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/9/19 2:40 p.m.

I recently read some review that said the new Colorado ZR2 might give the Raptor a run for it's money. It's $10,000-$20,000 cheaper, smaller in every dimension but gets far better gas mileage with the 2.8 diesel. 

Bummer is that the crew cab long bed isn't available in ZR2 trim. 

I kinda wonder if you couldn't build a Raptor far cheaper by finding an older 2015 Coyote F150 Crew Cab Long Bed. Install a $5,000 long travel kit, some fenders and wheels and a $7,000 supercharger. Lets say it adds up to $15,000. Here's a 2017 Crew Cab for $30,000. 

That would give you a 650hp, long travel, Crew Cab Long Bed F150 for well under the price of a new base model Raptor. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zv0Q5RbPqs1LK8J8XgU5UX12oj0RmGnffQ9XxRElOfMutDFSFJG0ZzzW0IqHqjwQ