1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/21/18 6:22 p.m.
Cooter said:

I have no illusions of podium. Or even placing highly. 

Me either when I attended in ‘17... I showed up with a crappy $1k Miata that I did a trans swap on, aligned it, and ran some cheap take off tires from Patrick. I finished 18th. Had lots of fun although I missed out on meeting lots of folks.

Ill be back as long as the drags return. wink

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/21/18 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Pretty much explained in the rules.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/21/18 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Well, first read the rules. They cover it pretty well. Then read through the thread where everyone complains that they didn't get a good score and SVrex and Steve Stafford explain the concourse and then realize that it's not a static car show, it's an an opportunity to show and tell how awesome you and your car are. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/21/18 6:43 p.m.

Bribe tip: rice crispy treats and/or chocolate chip cookies are the surefire way to improve the judges moods during the concourse.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/18 7:11 p.m.
Patrick said:
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to Cooter :

The concourse complaining is generally from people who don’t read the rules or present well. They hear concourse and think show car. 

And they do it every year.  Don’t sweat it, the event is laid back.  Post challenge grievance threads are usually populated by an upset challenger that didn’t grasp the concept - it’s damn hard to do so without attending and experiencing it - and a bunch of never went never will go armchair builders.  

I’d like to see you make it Cooter,  I haven’t seen you for a few years and our visit was too abbreviated and snowy/cold

Be careful fellas. Posts like this make me want to start a NEW thread complaining about people who complain about people complaining about the concour.devil

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/21/18 7:28 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

realize that it's not a static car show, it's an an opportunity to show and tell how awesome you and your car are. 

Motion to add the above language in official rules with the following also added;

" If you don't like it, there's always Pebble Beach or Amelia."

stroker
stroker UltraDork
10/21/18 7:44 p.m.

So do the Gastropods have some sort of emblem or logo yet?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/21/18 7:56 p.m.

Approved helmet

mazdeuce - Seth
10/21/18 8:04 p.m.
stroker said:

So do the Gastropods have some sort of emblem or logo yet?

I'm working on it. I have two versions floating in my head. I'll sit down at the computer soon and knock them out. I need to finish the 16oz shirts and the kitchen before I get too deep. Luckily we've got some time. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
10/21/18 8:51 p.m.

I've already found two A-body Mopars nearby....  Anyone know of a 318 automatic for sale cheap?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/21/18 9:00 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I know of a meth lab looking RV that the tow yard would probably give you.  Pretty sure it had a 318 but I was afraid to look to closely in fear of catching some horrible disease.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/18 9:10 p.m.

Wait you're looking for a 318 automatic to put INTO a challenge car?!?! 

Wait a month or 2, I'm sure 3 to 4 will be getting pulled out of others ;) 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/22/18 6:05 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

I suggest finding a 5.9 Magnum. Should be able to find one for the price of a 318 .

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/18 11:37 a.m.

Are we doing 250 or 300 TW on this class?  Just scoped a civic with fresh 280 TW tires. Gastropod tire rules might dictate whether I buy this one. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/22/18 12:11 p.m.
Lof8 said:

Are we doing 250 or 300 TW on this class?  Just scoped a civic with fresh 280 TW tires. Gastropod tire rules might dictate whether I buy this one. 

Let's go 250 for this year. I don't antiipate any real problems as long as we stay away from 200 and below. If things get weird (or someone finds a ringer tire) then we'll evaluate for 2020. I'll go update the rules. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
10/23/18 1:49 p.m.

I like this idea, consider me in.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
10/23/18 11:18 p.m.

I like this idea and have put together a team of 4 teenagers and a couple of adults to build a car for 2019. The Gastropods class seems like a great place for a new team to work towards. 

In that mind I have a question about acquiring a car. We are looking to do an MR2 either AW11 or SW20. One option in an sw20 and a Camry solara to do an 1mz swap. the Sw20 I am looking at is a shell with two engines, and some extra parts as a package. Since the gastropod class is not allowing recoup if I buy the Sw20 could I have one receipt for the shell and one for the parts? I think the whole lot could be had for about $800 so I was thinking $400 for car and $400 for parts. The Camry donor is $600  so that would put us at $1000 for budget. My understanding would be we could sell the other parts for cash but they would not count towards recoup in the budget.

Just seeing if this sounds right to the group before we go off and start buying cars.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/24/18 5:30 a.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

I'm cool with that. If I were you I'd prep a "real" Challenge budget (since you have to anyway) and also keep a back of the envelope Gastropods budget. By all means, when you get that Camry, pull the motor and part the rest of it for maximum value and buy pizza for the team. It would actually be interesting to see if you could fit under half budget with normal recoup rules and under $2000 with Gasteopod rules. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/18 6:30 a.m.

I have a potential candidate for this class. The possibility will firm up in the next week or so.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/24/18 7:47 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Squishy possibilities are the best possibilities. I'll fully admit to spending too much time on CL and copart since we discussed this class at the Challenge. I need either an unbelievably smoking deal or to wait until after I finish the kitchen to bring home another car. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/24/18 8:16 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I need to finish my kitchen too.

Maybe we should have a roving Gastroprep home renovation team to travel the country finishing people's home repairs for spousal support?  wink

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
10/24/18 8:33 a.m.

Wait I need to finish my kitchen too.....

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/18 9:06 a.m.

I'm in for gastroprep home reno team. Meaning both that I will help and my house needs work, of course.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/24/18 9:12 a.m.

So, just so I've got this straight. This is a tire class (250 +) with no recouping, but anything else that fits the Challenge rules is still good?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/24/18 9:15 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

Yup. 

Plus working street legal components- lights, wipers, etc.  Should be registerable. 

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
99HaIlyLbA3W0oEGXYM0E5AmmkJIMCj5PWoT8MOFCU0zzWsxsuc7hhFMEGm2BnkV