1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 36
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/27/19 3:06 p.m.

All this talk has me wondering if I can find an interior for the Q45.  Or would 4 Kirkey seats and aluminum skin door panels count?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/19 3:39 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Antihero :

If you’re making the trek to the Challenge we definitely have to put together a jam session this year. 

Thats the plan. I might not have the caprice totally finished but as it stands, it runs and drives and could be Gastropod material, budget is at less than half too.

So if i have to, im just gonna get in the car and go as is.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/19 2:45 p.m.

I don't think I can work coming this year, but I would like to.  So far I have a 1998 GS Eclipse with a 420a engine and a blown head gasket.  Car was given to me by my BIL.  Car is rough, but it runs.  Current scrap value would be I guess $200.  I have a set of 17" wheels that were free to me.  I have tried to sell them at the local flea market for $300 and was not able to.  I would still call FMV $300.  And I have a set of free to me used 17" tires that did not come with the wheels.  FMV would be maybe $25 each?  So I have a car with so far $0 actual funds in it with a potential FMV equivalent of $600.  Now for the big question.  Any bets it would last for three autocross runs and a 1/4 mile run or two without any coolant or water?  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/31/19 2:50 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Four tires are budget exempt, so you're only in it for $500 in Challenge money. Pop a new head gasket in and see if it holds. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/19 5:18 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to noddaz :

Four tires are budget exempt, so you're only in it for $500 in Challenge money. Pop a new head gasket in and see if it holds. 

I will tell Tire Rack that and see what happens...  Nothing personal, but Real Money is a real problem these days.

BTW, interior rules mean full carpet, proper number of seats, factory dash (but I can gut almost everything behind the dash), door panels ect?

Could I pitch the console if I had a shift boot on the floor?

packrat
packrat New Reader
4/2/19 6:18 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

The 335 is my car and I hope it is still running six months from now for the challenge.  From the research I’ve done reliability seems like an issue.  My wife and I have put about 500 miles on it so far in the last two weeks.  It doesn’t have JB4, just the JB plus quick install tuner, which supposedly adds about 3psi of additional boost and 30hp to the wheels.  If you guys have any ideas I’m totally new to this platform and would love some advice.  Hit me up on the build forum.  Thanks

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/19 9:51 a.m.

While my intent is to bring my drift e28 to the challenge, which is not a Gastropod qualifier in the least, I picked up a Miata this weekend which could be a Gastropod entry as a backup plan if the e28 is not fit for racing at the time. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-headless-miata-jamt/152639/page1/

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/8/19 11:35 a.m.

This might be down on power, but at least it has a new clutch...

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/herndon-97-acura-cl-22/6860591025.html

mazdeuce - Seth
4/28/19 7:18 p.m.

Looks like I have my Gastropod. The Hazmat Civic is at my house until the Challenge, probably, and since it's $200 under budget and already did well at an autocross, it seems like the easy button. This is probably going to be a lame "build" but that's ok as I'll be focusing most of my energy on t-shirts and stickers and making sure the group has a good time. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/29/19 2:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Edit: We've added a tiny limited recoup capped at $200. To remain eligible for the Gastropod trophy, recoup $ can only be spent on: 

Hoses

Belts including timing

Electrical wear items, points cap/rotor plugs and wires. 

Gaskets necessary for the retention of fluids.

The idea behind this recoup rule is twofold. 1. It let's everyone focus a bit of money on making the cars more reliable. Broken cars suck. 2. It gives some practice with the act and accounting of recoup which is a vitally important part of eventually getting to the pointy end of the field. I know it's controversial, but let's roll with it and see how it works. 

Could the re-coup $$ be spent on paint for the car?

Also are the Gastropods going to take the "don't judge me" route to concours ?

mazdeuce - Seth
4/29/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Nope. Cosmetics are in budget. At least this year. I want to have a sit down with everyone at the event to see how we want to tweak the rules. I've always known that I'm going to get something wrong with the rules. 

You can take a don't judge me if you want, but I think it will hurt your overall score. Put a bit of time into your presentation and I bet you can do better that the Don't Judge score. Remember, I'm not doing any scoring on my own. We're all going to take the numbers that GRM gives us and figure out who is highest on that list. I'm a party organizer, not a judge.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/29/19 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

On the “Don’t Judge Me” question, I’d assume that’s up to the individual competitors.  However, anyone who thinks they might score low probably should take it, especially if turnout ends up huge.  Don’t want to deal with a bunch of cranky, overworked judges...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/29/19 3:10 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Ok.  That's how I read it, just needed confirmation.  I'm flying to Florida to pick up a Jag for the challenge that I'd like to remain Gastropod eligible for.  The car 100% needs paint:

I've negotiated with the seller to purchase the car for the total cost of $2000.  So, as I see it, I have these options:

1. Don't paint it (looks like crap)
  2. Get creative and try to figure out how to paint a car for $0 (zero)
  3. Abandoned the Gastropod idea and just use normal challenge recoup rules to get car painted
  4. Ask seller to write a receipt for car that is less than $2000 and sell me the tires currently on the car on a separate receipt (like $1800 for car, $200 for tires)

I'd like to go with option 4, but I'm not sure this is within the "spirit" of the event for this sub-class.  What do you and the hive have to say?

mazdeuce - Seth
4/29/19 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Did a bear attack that car? 

I don't have a good answer for you. My opinion is that selling the tires separately is outside the spirit, but selling wheels separately and replacing them with cheaper wheels and proper challenge tires is within the rules. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/29/19 3:39 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Did a bear attack that car?

I don't have a good answer for you. My opinion is that selling the tires separately is outside the spirit, but selling wheels separately and replacing them with cheaper wheels and proper challenge tires is within the rules. 

Car had an off road adventure through some bushes (trying to avoid contact with a deer)

Would selling the wheels (and replacing them with a cheaper wheel) option be with in the Gastropod sub-class rules?  The car does currently have the desirable 5-spoke wheels that would sell easily.

Pic before the "bear attack" (note the wheels)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/29/19 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Any vinyl wrap/sign shops near you?  A lot of them just throw away the ends of the sheets of vinyl once they become too short.  Could either dumpster dive, or just ask for them, and “fix” the paint with zero budget hit.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/29/19 4:00 p.m.

Selling off the good wheels and replacing them with cheaper ones and spending the recoup on stuff is 100% within general Challenge rules as long as it's all documented. Cool. 

What you're suggesting is that you reeeeeealy want to buy a $1500 Jaaaaag and put the set of wheels you have in your shed on it because your buddy wants to buy the wheels from that guy, right? And the only way to make the deal happen is if you both show up in the truck and he buys the wheels and you buy the car and you get receipts for both, right? I do believe you have thought yourself out of the box that I built and I approve. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
4/29/19 4:03 p.m.

I would just drive it through a LOT more bushes until you have a Jungle Jag sort of theme.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
4/29/19 4:09 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Those bodies are aluminum, right?  Why not just strip it and run it bare-metal?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 4:26 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Selling off the good wheels and replacing them with cheaper ones and spending the recoup on stuff is 100% within general Challenge rules as long as it's all documented. Cool. 

What you're suggesting is that you reeeeeealy want to buy a $1500 Jaaaaag and put the set of wheels you have in your shed on it because your buddy wants to buy the wheels from that guy, right? And the only way to make the deal happen is if you both show up in the truck and he buys the wheels and you buy the car and you get receipts for both, right? I do believe you have thought yourself out of the box that I built and I approve. 

I may or may not have thought him outside your box

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/19 4:32 p.m.

Jag paint is thick, you'd be surprised how that might turn out after claybar, wetsanding, polish and ceramic

mazdeuce - Seth
4/29/19 4:38 p.m.
Patrick said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I may or may not have thought him outside your box

When I was thinking about it I was imagining you bringing Stampie along to fetch a car and how the two of you would make it work and I just KNEW that's how the two you would explain it. laugh

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/19 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Carbon fiber vynil wrap the hood, buff the rest, and send it.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/19 5:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Shoe polish the hood, buff the rest, and send it.

Fixed

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 6:42 p.m.

Honestly mr Indianapolis, the damages and the story of deer and that’s how you got a monster xjr for challenge money are a better concours story and score than a freshly painted jag.  Leave it as is, run it, tell the story of the deer, the fly and drive with your son, the enabling of one monsieur yupididit, and send that berkeleyer.  Paint it next year when it’s going to be your driver, or sell it to me for 2 grand after the challenge.

can we put nitrous on it?

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGfHfKaGQjAzdjr5IKJdK7sig3ooNhIhhHazUjkvGOKbldfYLeeXr6cIiNrBmXf3