mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I need to make you and Pete Snow Fear stickers. cheeky

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
10/18/18 7:24 p.m.

Reading this thread honestly made my day.

The Challenge May be attainable for me after all!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 7:35 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

That sounds perfect!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/18/18 7:45 p.m.

I have a 2005 mazda 3 2.3 S sedan 5 speed that i would sell for $1,300.00 to a gastropoder...  if anyone is interested.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/18/18 8:11 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Please make them shiny blue. In no fear front 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/18/18 8:38 p.m.
Mndsm said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Please make them shiny blue. In no fear front 

I had a "Know Fear" logo made for rear of my race car back in the 90s.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
10/18/18 9:29 p.m.
dropstep said:
minivan_racer said:

In reply to dropstep :

Uh, it probably is since you're from the same area as the car.  Kinda strange that you would know that lol.

I'm really good friends with the guy who owned it from about 02 lol. The rockers are so far gone the door gaps changed when you floored the car near the end of its life.

I'm terrified to look underneath.  I want to save it, but I've scrapped them for less.  They are starting to be rare enough cars now (turbo dodges in general) that it is worth saving the ones that aren't so bad.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/18/18 9:35 p.m.

Austin had some sentimental attachment too that Sundance so it got really bad before he finally parted with it. The coolest feature was the fact the r12 A.C. still worked. Either way the only thing of any value left is the engine and I don't think there's alot of that in a stock t1.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
10/18/18 10:05 p.m.

When some agreements are reached, can the first post in this thread be updated?

I'm still a little confused on where everyone landed on whether or not the tires come out of the budget.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/18/18 10:16 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I'm still a little confused on where everyone landed on whether or not the tires come out of the budget.

I hope they do. If I'm playing high school mndsm, I didnt have free sneaky nothing. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/18 10:25 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Are we going to have negative points if E36 M3 falls off during the taco bell run? My current plan involves finding something stupid and Korean (seth and pete know, because they told me about it) but likely rattled to within half an inch of its life. I'm thinking how high school me would think, since that appears to be the going theme. I will not however go back to a high school hair cut. Or facial hair. Mostly because I didn't have the latter ans as anyone that has met me can attest to, I'm not real good at the former. Now to see if I can get some no fear stickers. 

My main high school ride was a vw fox with a paint roller tray upside down as a hood scoop, a really bad fabricated by me spoiler, and a cheap pep boys muffler tip.

I would love to have it back for this class.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 5:55 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I think we've decided to use regular challenge rules in that tires are outside the budget. The 300tw requirement should do a good job evening up the playing field though we may move that to 250 or so depending on what people find when they search for tires. The intent is to stay away from modern autocross tires and dig deep into the tire catalogs to see what we can find. Any decently new tire that is less than 400 should get you in the ballpark for the class which lets you focus on other aspects of car prep instead of spending 1000 hours shopping for the right tires. Use that time to detail your undercarriage. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/19/18 6:29 a.m.

I think we need an award for whoever buys the cheapest new tires.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/18 7:28 a.m.

I wish I could send some of these your way... since they'd be app appropriate for the trophy, and because the sleepykids were picking plenty of their out-grown shells in September that it became a nuisance... but I'd be afraid of some kind of agricultural importation violation

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
10/19/18 7:53 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I think we've decided to use regular challenge rules in that tires are outside the budget.

Great.  I think I'm in, once I figure out FMV.

Excited to make my first trip to the challenge.

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
10/19/18 8:28 a.m.

I love the idea of the class. 

This way people can come and have fun with out having a team of master builders.

I don't feal that a tire above 200TW is a safe tire for Extreme driving. I have never put a set of tires on a car that I push to the limit and expected it to last more that a year.  No one is going to look at a tire with 9/32 with heavy feathering on tires and tread broken on the edge and say. " Yes I can 30k more good miles ot of that."

Tires in the  300TW to 200TW are the same price. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/18 8:45 a.m.

I disagree. A ~300 TW tire is plenty capable of handling the autocross and drag racing done at the Challenge. I wouldn't want to run them through a whole track day. But they can handle 5-6 autocross laps and endless drag strip runs (without burnouts, because that really won't help these tires). I've autocrossed on 500TW tires on my wife's Focus. We still got 40,000 miles out of them.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/19/18 8:50 a.m.
ShawneeCreek said:

I disagree. A ~300 TW tire is plenty capable of handling the autocross and drag racing done at the Challenge. I wouldn't want to run them through a whole track day. But they can handle 5-6 autocross laps and endless drag strip runs (without burnouts, because that really won't help these tires). I've autocrossed on 500TW tires on my wife's Focus. We still got 40,000 miles out of them.

It's not like you're a tire engineer or something...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/19/18 8:52 a.m.

In reply to GVX19 :

I would be more concerned about speed rating then treadwear.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/19/18 9:41 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to GVX19 :

I would be more concerned about speed rating then treadwear.

It's sustained speed.  Anything DOT approved can handle 10 seconds at 100 mph, nevermind the 1/2 second at 100 mph that a couple of cars in this class MIGHT see.  We're not doing 180 mph in the 1/4 mile nor 100 mph for an hour stint.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/18 10:41 a.m.

Correct. The speed rating is more a measure of a tire's capability to withstand sustained heat generation at speed at a lower pressure (26 psi, if I remember correctly). Any modern T-rated tire can survive the Challenge.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/18 11:23 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

I have a 2005 mazda 3 2.3 S sedan 5 speed that i would sell for $1,300.00 to a gastropoder...  if anyone is interested.

Just repeating it since Jeremy is so nice to offer. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 11:30 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
pimpm3 said:

If I weren't literally at the airport flying to get a car I'd be emailing my wife about trying to buy this from Jeremy. Perfect car for the class. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/18 11:31 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
pimpm3 said:

Link to ad/pics?

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

Send pimpm3 a message. That's Jeremy. He builds weird Challenge stuff. He"s cool. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LlMaRZ7LYDCV3YZD2WKDSGnE5BfwSCVZrHRs2xqcHE8f2vdeEEwdg3ttYxtMBFPY