David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/20 1:52 p.m.
feature_image

The Civic Type R is getting a refresh for 2020, but we recently spent some time with the 2019 model–figured it would be a good ride for Publisher Tim while he was in L.A. for a few days. 

Want to hear what the rest of the staff thinks about the Type R? You can also read our review of the …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 7:18 p.m.

I was impressed by the size of the hatch, it is truly a useable space and makes the CTR much more practical than a pure sports car like the S2000 or BRZ.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/17/20 8:13 p.m.

I really like this car - I've said before that I rented one on Turo for 24 hours and I had a blast with it.  I would love to have one parked in my garage for not snowy days.  

The older I get and the more I try to live a frugal life this still seems like a lot of money.  With Illinois sales tax and plates/title it is pushing $40,000 for a new one.  Some of the places are showing used ones in the $33-34 range.  It feels like a lot of money for a Civic and I'm convinced they will some day follow the S2000 or NSX tax and I will be telling myself I should have bought one cause now they are crazy dollars.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/18/20 5:11 p.m.

Does the 2020 model have a "one-tone" interior option?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/18/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

It will probably be one of those cars you want to buy used before they stop producing them.  Or at least very shortly afterwards.  That seems to be the sweet spot in the depreciation curve for clean examples with low miles.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/20 7:03 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Does the 2020 model have a "one-tone" interior option?

There is a Honda dealer in Woodstock GA that has them. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/20/20 8:45 p.m.

I find the styling absolutely unforgivable 

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
2/20/20 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

I'm with you.  The old type R wasnt crazy over the top, just a sticker and some minor visual things with magic underneath.  This new one is so over the top visually i just cant look at it, even though I'm sure it totally backs up the looks.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
2/20/20 10:27 p.m.

I like it. In black it’s like a baby batmobile.

dps214
dps214 Reader
2/21/20 9:15 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I really like this car - I've said before that I rented one on Turo for 24 hours and I had a blast with it.  I would love to have one parked in my garage for not snowy days.  

The older I get and the more I try to live a frugal life this still seems like a lot of money.  With Illinois sales tax and plates/title it is pushing $40,000 for a new one.  Some of the places are showing used ones in the $33-34 range.  It feels like a lot of money for a Civic and I'm convinced they will some day follow the S2000 or NSX tax and I will be telling myself I should have bought one cause now they are crazy dollars.

We have one at work for a silly project. Everybody that test drove it liked it way more than any of us expected to. It's one of the better implementations of electronic shocks we've seen, certainly the best on a honda product. It doesn't photograph well but honestly isn't awful looking in person aside from the atrocious rear wing. Especially in red since it makes all the little red accents on the trim less out of place. Of course I can't fathom spending $40k on a fwd civic no matter how well it drives. But once the hype wears off a little and used ones get to reasonable prices, it'd be a good buy. Bonus points if someone comes up with a wing delete kit since Honda refuses to sell their new "adult trim" version in the states.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/21/20 9:52 a.m.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should looks at the new Type R Sport Line. Honda knows that the whole car looks very boy-racer, so they made a toned-down version for more "mature" buyers.

It doesn't sound like it'll be coming stateside, though, as the theory seems to be that U.S. buyers of the Type R tend to be younger and like shouty cars.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
2/23/20 10:44 a.m.

Just saw a new one at the local home and garden show (go figure), and it did catch my eye. I think it was in a good way, but I'm not sure.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/23/20 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Carbon :

Totally agree.  There's absolutely no way I'd buy something that fugly.  Inside and out its a total miss for me, which is too bad because performance wise it's the king of the hot hatch segment.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/24/20 10:42 a.m.

I love the Civic Type R.  My wife showed her approval when she wrote the check for a new one (below MSRP) on Valentine's Day.  One reviewer said there is no way you can look mature driving this car.  That's perfect for me!  I'm 59!  Only 250 miles on it as of today.  It's not a daily driver for me so the mileage will stay low.  What an incredible machine!  I do believe it was past time to replace the FX16 GT-S.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/24/20 1:33 p.m.
trucke said:

I love the Civic Type R.  My wife showed her approval when she wrote the check for a new one (below MSRP) on Valentine's Day.  One reviewer said there is no way you can look mature driving this car.  That's perfect for me!  I'm 59!  Only 250 miles on it as of today.  It's not a daily driver for me so the mileage will stay low.  What an incredible machine!  I do believe it was past time to replace the FX16 GT-S.

Wife obviously loves you. 

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
2/24/20 1:40 p.m.

This looks so much better/more subdued to me, but as said above, I guess this isn't coming to the US

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/20 3:03 p.m.

In reply to CobraSpdRH :

The only difference is the rear spoiler. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/20 3:19 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

If you haven't seen it yet, you should looks at the new Type R Sport Line. Honda knows that the whole car looks very boy-racer, so they made a toned-down version for more "mature" buyers.

It doesn't sound like it'll be coming stateside, though, as the theory seems to be that U.S. buyers of the Type R tend to be younger and like shouty cars.

I have seen a few CTRs.  Two of the drivers looked to be of retirement age.  The third looked like he was in his 30s and was pulling his kid out of a baby seat in the back.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/20 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

The CTR is sort of like the Focus RS: Aimed at the "youngsters" but only the "older" crowd can afford one.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/24/20 4:46 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to CobraSpdRH :

The only difference is the rear spoiler. 

You are wrong sir. The interior gets black seats similar to the Si and an all black steering wheel. This version of the Type R would steal all my money so fast if they brought it to the US. The red seats and steering wheel are horrendous. I love my red/black interior on the S2000 but that's because it's done well. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
2/25/20 9:00 a.m.

Also 19" wheels down from 20s which, while it isn't the 18s wheels it really should have, is definitely an improvement.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/25/20 11:15 a.m.

Personally, I'm still amazed that the car remains civil around town despite the performance. If only my old EG rode this nicely....

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
2/25/20 11:24 a.m.
trucke said:

...I do believe it was past time to replace the FX16 GT-S.

laugh Ya think?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/20 5:56 p.m.

That Corolla looks suuuuuper bummed out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NyiwD0moEaaKSkrTAMLZAYI7Is50rhVF8Euo5TZC9grgJovA3sW1VV0nWthaWU6Z