1 2
spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/19 8:46 p.m.

So Hyundai snuck this in under the radar today, and it found out when someone mentioned it on another forum. 

Body, Grill, front facia and "rear diffuser" is very much the Euro i30 N with a bit less flair, and the specs seem to be a Veloster Turbo R-Spec.

I don't need to replace my Focus ST. but if this was on the market 12 months ago... I'd would've definitely considered it, even if it wasn't autox competitive because I dislike the looks of the veloster and this fixes the looks and uses the same running gear underneath. 

2 BIG thumbs up from me. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25872807/2019-hyundai-elantra-gt-n-line-hatchback-photos-info/

spacecadet
1/15/19 8:49 p.m.

I missed the fact this drivetrain existed last year... interesting... 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/16/19 7:51 a.m.

That is a compelling car even if I do like the Veloster better from a visual standpoint. I really wish I had the ability/desire to spend $1000 a month on cars. I'd buy a new hot small car every year and just eat the depreciation and have fun. Stupid reality. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/19 8:27 a.m.

Yeah if this existed when I bought the GTI I would have been giving it a hard look.

I was looking at the GT Sport before the N-Line existed and hardest thing was finding a dealer with a manual one. FWIW, the Hyundai dealer experience still sucks; I asked a dealer if they could bring in a manual one for me with cash down and their response was essentially "manual ones are rare and hard to find, put people who love driving manuals love the dual-clutch ones that we have in stock!" Second time in a year I had a Hyundai dealer basically turn my business away.

Weirdly, these are also at the bottom of the pack for gas mileage, like 5MPG down from a GTI, for reasons unknown to me.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/19 11:24 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Weirdly, these are also at the bottom of the pack for gas mileage, like 5MPG down from a GTI, for reasons unknown to me.

Remember that Hyundai had a big ol' lawsuit about 5 or so years ago about fuel economy ratings. I think they're still a little gun shy on what they report. Probably why we are so easily meeting/exceeding the posted ratings in all of ours. The old Rio was rated at 33hwy/24 city and I can't remember ever getting worse than 32 out of it when I was beating the dog snot out of it. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
1/16/19 11:26 a.m.

Prior to clicking on the article, I thought this was an Elantra with the same motor as the Veloster N.

spacecadet
1/17/19 1:00 a.m.
JamesMcD said:

Prior to clicking on the article, I thought this was an Elantra with the same motor as the Veloster N.

I wish, I like this a lot more than the veloster.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/17/19 2:30 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Re: Hyundai Dealers
we were set to buy a new hyundai back in 2014... and sleepywife goes out on a test drive in one car, while they dig out the color/options she wanted.  Then the test-drive car ran out of fuel.  So, I spent 30mins with an infant trying to stay happy while the dealer faffed around getting a fuel can to the test drive.  Then, she finally gets back, and they give us a song and dance about the car being in a second storage lot than they originally thought.  So, we split, and I don't think sleepywife will go back to that dealer ever again.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/19 8:47 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

The multiple lots is not uncommon here. I know many dealers around where I used to work had 2-3 storage lots for vehicles. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/17/19 8:52 a.m.
bobzilla said:
pointofdeparture said:

Remember that Hyundai had a big ol' lawsuit about 5 or so years ago about fuel economy ratings. I think they're still a little gun shy on what they report. Probably why we are so easily meeting/exceeding the posted ratings in all of ours. The old Rio was rated at 33hwy/24 city and I can't remember ever getting worse than 32 out of it when I was beating the dog snot out of it. 

You live in a pretty rural area though, right?

The Veloster R spec is rated at 26/33 and the median mileage for it on fuelly is 28mpg.  http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/veloster?engineconfig_id=&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=73387

I drive in a very tame manner and have managed to squeak out 29mpg.  I see no scenario where I would average higher than 33, unless I drove pure highway.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/19 9:01 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Rural-ish. The drive home for me is 15-20 minutes of stop and go with 5-10 minutes at 40mph. And rain... I don't know what the hell it is with Kia's and rain. Seriously.... 4-5mpg drop when its raining. Saw this across 3 cars (two fortes and a Rio). It starts raining and the mpg goes to hell in a handbasket. 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
1/17/19 9:28 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

My Wife's Santa Fe beats the rated mileage on a regular basis. Haven't noticed a change when it's raining but snow has a definite impact.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

I know the inlaws Sorento does as well, but none of our cars are turbo cars either. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/17/19 11:08 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm not knocking their having multiple lots... I understand that, especially around NoVA.  I have a bigger issue when they can't keep track of which lot they've stashed the car, let alone don't know the car well enough to make sure it has enough gas to go for a 2mile test drive.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/19 11:11 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

that surprises me even less to be honest. Then again, looking at the dash and saying "huh, it needs gas" should be fairly simple. I know that we always had a hard time keeping track of what cars where were because salesmen would move them and not record it because they were busy with a customer etc. It's pretty normal to not have any idea where a particular car might be!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/19 4:10 p.m.

I've got the non-N Line version now as a rental while my car is in the body shop. 6 spd auto, Apple play, and 161 hp. This thing is actually pretty fun to toss around in sport mode and manually shifting. I see the N Line has over 200 hp and is available in a 6 spd manual and a 7 spd dual-clutch auto.  Not a huge fan of the driver's seat and I wish it was a keyless start but this thing is now on my radar.

Edited* It has a 6 spd auto

Error404
Error404 New Reader
7/17/19 5:13 p.m.

Since I might be in the market for a car, if insurance scraps my beloved GTI (stupid BMW driver), I thought I'd take a look at this. I'm not the market for a new model but ya gotta keep up on the future trickle downs, right?

The back/hatch is shaped way too weirdly. I don't like the reflecters on the hatch. Could they have made it any more generic looking? Nothing about this car really stands out to my eye, it looks like any other practical hatch and doesn't look as good as a GTI. The cockpit area just doesn't do it for me, what with push start and the big screen. I'd like to see higher thigh bolsters on the front seats and that engine bay is an off-lease nightmare.

The hatch looks deeper than the one on SWMBO's Focus. I like that. My GTI has better storage than the Focus and this looks comparable.

Sticking the performance upgrades are pretty cool, though, and maybe bump it up for other people looking for practical/sporty/family friendly.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
7/17/19 9:53 p.m.

Everyone raves about the N-line, but the R-Spec turbo has big bang for the buck. IMO it has a lot going for it and it's a legitimately fun car. I'm not sure if it makes sense to have two different looking cars which are the same underneath, but Hyundai/Kia/Genesis can legitimately claim to produce a good number of enthusiast vehicles.

Car dealers are always super cheap with gas and keep them as low as possible. I sort of get it, they might dealer trade it, but the hassle and the uncomfortable feeling it leaves with customers test driving cars makes no sense to me.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/19 9:23 a.m.

Oddly enough, this just landed in our parking lot.

So, everyone going to join us Wednesday at 9:00 p.m. Eastern to take a better look? Official pre-show announcement to come soon. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/18/19 9:43 a.m.

Wow, what a happenstance 

David S. Wallens
7/18/19 9:52 a.m.

Totally. Ours has a trunk, but it's got the good brakes and rear suspension. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/19 10:13 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

What trim is it? Nothing is pulling up with these kinds of specs on the 2020 elantra sedan on the Hyundai website... 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
7/18/19 10:15 a.m.

That's the refreshed Elantra Sport.

The new face seems kinda polarizing.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/19 10:24 a.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

What trim is it? Nothing is pulling up with these kinds of specs on the 2020 elantra sedan on the Hyundai website... 

Hyundai has eliminated the 6-speed manual as an option for 2020 and now forces you to get their abysmal DCT in the Sport.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/05/2020-hyundai-elantra-ditches-the-manual-ups-the-content/

GRM must have a 2019 tester.

David S. Wallens
7/18/19 10:24 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

It's a 2019 Elantra Sport M/T. The window sticker (sitting here in front of me) lists the multi-link rear suspension and bigger brakes. MSRP is $23,655.

But, yeah, I don't see it on the Hyundai consumer site. The media site lists the Sport for 2020, but some specs are missing--like, what transmission comes standard. I have e-mailed a contact at the company. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mhMDUZiOueryvzxNyiiTisNfNQtCR1fRTo87rbAONrTEn470bLruklPwfmOPe9zL