bobzilla MegaDork
11/5/18 4:00 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Does Mazda make that car anymore?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/5/18 4:09 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Sadly - no - it's why I'm so excited about Hyundai and this car. Definitely wasn't trying to derail, just very happy to see a high power, real differential (it's my biggest gripe with the Ford's ST brothers), goofy hatch in the US! I felt the numbers really lined up neatly - the lack of crazy brakes (just big standard brakes), etc, etc. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/5/18 7:21 p.m.

It looks like a speed 3 on paper, but nobody ever waxed poetic about the sublime handling of the Mazda. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/18 7:37 p.m.

Neat car, limp "track warranty" support. Wish we got the i30N instead of the veloster. 

I dislike this veloster less than the previous ones and this one got decent suspension from the i30..... 

Sounds like it will do decent on track though. so regardless of warranty it should do well. 

Nice to see Hyundai try hard and not just put lipstick on a pig pedestrian car like the previous Kia racing efforts... 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/5/18 11:18 p.m.
spacecadet said:

Neat car, limp "track warranty" support. Wish we got the i30N instead of the veloster. 

I dislike this veloster less than the previous ones and this one got decent suspension from the i30..... 

Sounds like it will do decent on track though. so regardless of warranty it should do well. 

Nice to see Hyundai try hard and not just put lipstick on a pig pedestrian car like the previous Kia racing efforts... 

No one is going to give you full "track coverage" from teh factory. There's just too many variables. I'd say the good news there is it won't void the rest of your warranty, and they'll take everything on a case-by-case basis, giving owners, techs and service managers to talk about it like grownups.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/6/18 1:09 a.m.

Looks a lot like a Ford Focus to my eye, a little porky at 3100 pounds,  but that much horsepressure would be a bit intoxicating.  I bet I would get really crappy gas mileage if I had one of those, and use up a lot of tires.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/6/18 6:58 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

You mean the Optima racing team that was going head to head with mustangs and the Acura teams? That one? I think they did pretty damn well. 

Shaun
Shaun Dork
11/6/18 10:22 p.m.

3-4 years ago my wife and I test drove a Veloster after going to the Portland Auto show thinking we wanted a Mini Cooper.  The interior of the Mini was all cheap plastic and O o O oO OOO's everywhere.  We O'd out and forever lost interest in the current MIni.  At the same show we saw the Veloster and the interior and exterior were really tasteful- so we later drove one.  Meh- the motor was not ready for prime time.  Now it is a fully cooked pckage.  We both think they look great plus Great Gobs of FWD Go!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/7/18 7:06 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
spacecadet said:

No one is going to give you full "track coverage" from teh factory. There's just too many variables. I'd say the good news there is it won't void the rest of your warranty, and they'll take everything on a case-by-case basis, giving owners, techs and service managers to talk about it like grownups.

Has Chevrolet removed the track warranty from the 1LE cars?

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/18 10:25 a.m.

Nice blue, the Veloster has come a long way.  BTW, that grill looks like it could eat squirrels and small dogs...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 12:25 p.m.

I drove past the Hyundai dealer today & they have an orange Turbo R with black wheels parked out front. It sure looks nice from the street. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/7/18 4:58 p.m.

The orange is a great looking color.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/8/18 10:09 p.m.
z31maniac said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Has Chevrolet removed the track warranty from the 1LE cars?

To clarify, it applies for the 1LE 4/6cyl, regular SS and up models.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/7/19 10:44 a.m.

So is this worth the price difference over the R-Spec?  I do know the N is supposed to be in DS for the 2019 SCCA autox season.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/7/19 12:33 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

It looks like a speed 3 on paper, but nobody ever waxed poetic about the sublime handling of the Mazda. 

They have and still do rave about the 3's handling. It's what Mazda does best. 

Car and Driver:
"What makes the Mazda 3 one of our favorite cars—not to mention a multi-time 10Best Cars winner? Its winning formula is simple and continues to win us over: sharp looks, a near-premium interior, and sublime driving dynamics."

I dropped by a Hyundai dealership - the lower tier Velosters don't have much presence still - though they are cheap! I can't wait to see that crazy blue color in person.

spacecadet
1/7/19 4:15 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
spacecadet said:

My issue is that unlike the GM warranty that says, here's what you have to do in order to maintain your warranty for the powertrain, "change your oil with oil meeting this exact spec every 4 hours of track time."

spacecadet
1/7/19 4:16 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to spacecadet :

You mean the Optima racing team that was going head to head with mustangs and the Acura teams? That one? I think they did pretty damn well. 

but the street car was still nothing special, that was more my point. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/7/19 4:54 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Not a fan of turquoise colored cars but in the end I really like the blue color on both of these cars.  

Maybe I just like Datsun’s in general.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/8/19 7:20 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Neither was the Acura TLX in street form. Both were boring pedestrian sedans. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/8/19 7:54 a.m.
Ozzy said:

So is this worth the price difference over the R-Spec?  I do know the N is supposed to be in DS for the 2019 SCCA autox season.

Depends what you are after.  From a performance standpoint, almost certainly. I have an R Spec.  Its got a smaller motor, lower redline, 75 less hp, and an open diff (the N gets an electronic LSD, I'd like to see some feedback on whether or not that actually works).

Neither of them will be classed competitively in stock class.

I am curious how much tire someone could fit under the body.  It doesn't look like a whole lot.

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/8/19 2:22 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Ozzy said:

Depends what you are after.  From a performance standpoint, almost certainly. I have an R Spec.  Its got a smaller motor, lower redline, 75 less hp, and an open diff (the N gets an electronic LSD, I'd like to see some feedback on whether or not that actually works).

Neither of them will be classed competitively in stock class.

I am curious how much tire someone could fit under the body.  It doesn't look like a whole lot.

I saw your post about getting one.  I am following to see your long term input on how you like it.  I did look at Tire Rack's site & looks like you can get the RE71 in the size for the R-Spec.  Though without the option for much negative camber on the front I am sure it would eat them up pretty quick if used for hard autox.  The wife and I drove down to Indianapolis today for a dr appointment & there was a dealer near there that had a black one.  If she hand been feeling bad I would have stopped to look/drive it.  Our local dealer in Fort Wayne said they aren't planning to get one in.  I like the price point & warranty.  We have a 07 Entourage van that we put 165,000 miles on with only a few very minor issues.  It has very little rust & still ran great when we sold it.  Based on that I am not scared to buy another Hyundai.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/8/19 3:13 p.m.

Yeah mine appears to have zero camber.  I don't know if there is any ability to get camber out of the stock suspension, or if camber bolts would be legal.  If not, it would certainly chew through tires very quickly.

For the R spec, which comes with 18s, I'd run 17s

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/8/19 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Ozzy :

We all know I'm the Korean car fanboi here. All in, we've now put 510k miles on 2 Hyundais and 3 Kia's. The 2000 Accent had the highest mileage with 250k when we sold it. The only failure was a manual trans that had the driveshaft shoved into the diff, causing an early failure at 130k miles. $300 and a pile of spare parts later and it ran another 120k miles without an issue. 

I have no qualms buying a used Korean car that's not a Daewoo. 

Ozzy
Ozzy New Reader
1/8/19 5:34 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yeah in SCCA "Street" aka stock class you can't use crash bolts or exceed the spec range specified in the factory service manual.  My 2nd gen Neon gets around this problem because Dodge put a racing alignment in the manual but you have to use a specific dodge part# crash bolt & specific slotting procedure.  But that's because it has the factory "competition package".  All the other Neons can't use the racing alignment.  I think I looked at a new Hyundai Genesis Coupe a few years ago & it came with the OEM crash bolts that were for racing purposes.  They were in a package in the trunk.  I know the local dealer sales manager thought the R-Spec came with crash bolts too.  I never found anything in Hyundai's info about it having them or I didn't talk to the service manager about an alignment spec. range.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/9/19 11:49 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Ozzy :

We all know I'm the Korean car fanboi here. All in, we've now put 510k miles on 2 Hyundais and 3 Kia's. The 2000 Accent had the highest mileage with 250k when we sold it. The only failure was a manual trans that had the driveshaft shoved into the diff, causing an early failure at 130k miles. $300 and a pile of spare parts later and it ran another 120k miles without an issue. 

I have no qualms buying a used Korean car that's not a Daewoo. 

Dont know if you remember me from the Elantra club forum or the ElantraXD forums but my XD model Elantra was a total tank. Thing had 350+k miles on the car without a single issue. Rusted to death finally and gave up the ghost on the subframe. Sold it for $500 and the guy put a new subframe in it and still drives it. I beat that car every day for 7 years with everythig i could throw at it. Snow, nitrous, 5000rpm clutch bombs, autocross and drag racing. Never let me down. Bought another one to turn into a $2000 chump/lemons racer.

I am very keen to drive one of the new 201hp Elantra GT Sport hatchback models to replace my Fiesta ST. I wish they would bring the I30N over here as that would be perfect. Im unsure about the 3 door Veloster as the last one i sat it didnt have very much room in the hatch area nor the back seat.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NnurMIgaHH8s1M1MjbQqb9trs7LzMWPIEFcLSYN7aXFPHKCvW3f5eGkoxE5bKORw