JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/16/18 9:11 a.m.
feature_image

Our initial drive in the new-for-2019 Hyundai Veloster R-Spec impressed us. How much so? We called it the return of the original GTI.

The new Veloster a simple, lightweight hot hatch that doesn’t cost a mint. The R-Spec, the one you’d want, retails for $22,900. That package includes the turbo engine and six-speed manual transmission yet does away with the …

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/16/18 9:48 a.m.

I like the styling much better on this one. Thank god Hyundai styling is getting so much less offensive.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
8/16/18 10:04 a.m.

I'm glad the Veloster N is coming soon and keeping me patient, otherwise I'd be tracking down one of these and considering trading in the Elantra Sport.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
8/26/18 12:16 a.m.

I recently test drove a 2019 Veloster Turbo. I was really impressed. It was a genuinely fun car. I thought it stood well on its base sporting merits (nimble handling, good feel, decent engine). The base equipment makes it even more compelling (panoramic moon roof, leather seat trim/wheel/shifter, heated wheel, android auto/apple carplay, etc).

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/26/18 7:09 a.m.

Years ago Datsun had a plan to win races and Dick Roberts (mech engineer, racer) came on board to form the Datsun Competition Department.  I always thought the Korean manufacturers should grab this part of the market as Nissan doesn't really seem interested at this stage of the game.  After seeing the JG's video and the Hyundai chap giving his time to talk about this car I'm sold on this manufacturer.  If only I could fit a few reels of hose in the back it would be my work truck.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
8/27/18 8:20 a.m.

I'm shopping for cars now, and I stopped by a Hyundai dealership because of this article.  There were no R-Specs within 500 miles of New Orleans. :(

JG Pasterjak
8/27/18 8:29 a.m.

We just got the invitation to the Veloster N US launch later this year. Looking forward to that one. Hyundai is doing a lot of stuff right at the moment.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/27/18 8:51 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

We just got the invitation to the Veloster N US launch later this year. Looking forward to that one. Hyundai is doing a lot of stuff right at the moment.

I bet I could make myself free for this..... just let me know when! 

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/27/18 9:11 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Can you disclose when that is? Asking for a friend :)

JG Pasterjak
8/27/18 11:25 a.m.
goingnowherefast said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Can you disclose when that is? Asking for a friend :)

Late October, but that's the media launch. That doesn't really give an indication of when cars will actually be available. We'll probably find out at the launch what that date is. Based on prior experience, they could tel us anything from "In dealers now!" to "We're still finalizing shipping arrangements."

MattO
MattO New Reader
10/24/18 6:13 p.m.

2,700lbs & change?  The Hyundia specs has 2,833-2,921lbs.  Curious on the difference.  The Ford Fiesta ST specs it at 2,742lbs.  The hp & trq are pretty much the same.  I am thinking SCCA HS class?  If the weight is truly 2,700ish then it might give the ST a run for it's money in that class.  I have a 2nd Gen Neon ACR (no radio/no AC car) that runs in HS & can hold off all the local HS cars pretty well but I might be willing to park it for a season to see if this new Hyundia is any good if the numbers show it's competitive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9E4r5lIkKIjvHWyNA6qlEEgEu5QmpVMFycmNgQnOzEOToIo2CTCY3CmJYzRkGHCO