1 2 3 ... 13
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/28/18 7:03 p.m.

Personally I think it should be called a Scrambler, but they didn't ask me.  4x4 is standard, 3.6l Pentistar for '19, Eco Diesel option for '20.  " 7,650-pound towing capacity and 1,600-pound payload, which out-specs the competition. With a wheelbase of 137 inches and a 5-foot box, the JT is about 400 pounds heavier than a comparable JKU."  Rubicon gets 33" tires.

No official word on price, but one article I read speculated a tarted up Rubicon would be around $55K. surprise

Apparently I can't embed FB or Youtube videos... sure wish someone would do something about that.

https://www.facebook.com/jeep/videos/360400594531239/

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/28/18 7:10 p.m.

Its ok, but i really wanted the green regulator cab army truck looking concept with the wagoneer style front clip they showed off a couple of years ago. 

That would have been my first new car if i could get the payments right.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/28/18 7:15 p.m.

Looks awkward with the roof on. Notice it's bigger than the Grand Wagoneer. 

I'm impressed with the towing capability but it just looks funny.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/28/18 7:25 p.m.

I want them to cut three feet out of the middle and sell me a single cab. I know that if they offered a single then 94% sold would still bedoubled, but I just don't want that much cab. I do want a manual manual truck with stick axles though, so I'm conflicted. They'll sell buckets of these. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
11/28/18 7:48 p.m.

That is a Scrambler. A Gladiator is a full-size, I know, I owned one.

This is like Ford calling the new SUV a Bronco. Broncos had two doors. Always. The new thing they're making is an Expedition.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
11/28/18 8:00 p.m.

This is extremely ugly and will be extremely popular because Jeep + pickup = $$$$$$$$$$

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/28/18 8:06 p.m.
Dave M said:

This is extremely ugly

You're probably right about that second part though.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/18 8:27 p.m.

Other than the pictures above is there any video?  Because, I like movies about Gladiators 

TJL
TJL New Reader
11/28/18 8:32 p.m.

Its not bad, looks good actually, BUT, NOT as a jeep. Its a boxy utilitarian looking crew cab truck. Thats cool but not real jeepy to me. I dont see much in common with this and a real scrambler. I see much more in common with this and just about every crew cab truck. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/28/18 8:38 p.m.

Personally I would rather have seen a single cab long bed but I'm weird. I think it's fantastic they have stick axles still.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/28/18 8:45 p.m.

In reply to TJL :

It's not like any other crew cab truck. Stick axles, double manual, roof comes off, freaking windshield still folds. It's a weird long Jeep, but it's a lot more jeep than regular truck. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/28/18 8:47 p.m.

They are going to sell a massive amount of those.  I think it’s pretty cool.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/28/18 8:48 p.m.

It is aperfect vehicle for me. I don’t care what they call it 

4 doors check 

convertible if wanted check 

manual trans check 

truck bed check 

I have never owned American vehicle and especially not a low quality FCA product thus I am very hesitant. However if I can replace my 200 series land cruiser and my Tacoma and get this, I would be very happy. 

My only concern is quality /reliability 

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
11/28/18 9:02 p.m.

I really want one as my shop truck based on name alone.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
11/28/18 9:27 p.m.

Dislike that 50k price rumor. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/28/18 9:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

4 doors check 

manual trans check 

truck bed check 

I have never owned American vehicle and especially not a low quality FCA product thus I am very hesitant. However if I can replace my 200 series land cruiser and my Tacoma and get this, I would be very happy. 

We have had great luck with the 2012 Jk we bought new.  It currently has 144k miles and has been extremely reliable.  We just bought a cpo G550 to have something newer with a warranty for my wife,  but we still plan to keep the Jeep.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/28/18 9:35 p.m.

I don't like Wranglers in general, but I think this looks pretty cool. If anything, it's a jeep that at least has some practical use with a bed and towing capability (something Wranglers really have none of....).

That said, I don't really get it as a concept other than people who "have to have a Jeep" but also want a pickup, I guess. Seems to me it will do "Jeep" things worse than a Wrangler, and pickup things worse than a pickup.

I also have no interest in front solid axles in any vehicle that isn't rock-crawling. There is zero upside to it over IFS for anything other than the most aggressive offroading.  there are way more than zero downsides. 

Props to Jeep for actually making it, though. There's certainly a market for it and I bet it outsells the Ridgeline easily....another "compromise pickup"

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/28/18 9:52 p.m.

Put me down as another on the "if only it had fewer doors and more bed" list.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/28/18 10:09 p.m.
Cotton said:
mr2s2000elise said:

4 doors check 

manual trans check 

truck bed check 

We have had great luck with the 2012 Jk we bought new.  It currently has 144k miles and has been extremely reliable.  We just bought a cpo G550 to have something newer with a warranty for my wife,  but we still plan to keep the Jeep.

That’s great to hear 

Tacoma forum is full of ex Jeep owners and how hey keep saying they are unreliable. Which doesn’t make sense to me, given how simple it is, how can it be unreliable ? 

Guess I will find out. I would like the diesel version

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/28/18 10:19 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Cotton said:
mr2s2000elise said:

4 doors check 

manual trans check 

truck bed check 

That’s great to hear 

Tacoma forum is full of ex Jeep owners and how hey keep saying they are unreliable. Which doesn’t make sense to me, given how simple it is, how can it be unreliable ? 

Guess I will find out. I would like the diesel version

I had an XJ, which aside from being unibody is a lot of the same "jeep parts" as wranglers. I wouldn't call the vehicle itself unreliable but I would definitely call it low-quality in almost every facet. I always wanted an XJ, and once I got it i never really liked it much. When I replaced it with a 4Runner (which had zero problems of any kind and was better at everything), I never missed the XJ. 

The short of it is, everything is unreliable and crude compared with a Toyota truck....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/28/18 10:26 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

So for me consolidating a 200 series LC and a Tacoma to a Gladiator will be eye opening I suppose 

crude doesn’t bother me. Had fj40/Nissan patrol early 80s 

low quality however bothers me .... heck the Mazdas/Subarus I have over the years bother me with how low quality their products are compared to Tier 1 Honda/Toyota products 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/28/18 10:30 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I don’t know,  I sold my 87 Toyota 4x4 after it ate it’s 2nd head gasket and rusted horribly,  I’m selling my FJ40 and keeping my CJ7,  and I still have my 99 XJ which was miles ahead of an earlier XJ I had.  Regardless, we’re comparing apples and oranges because the new stuff is totally different than either of our old XJs etc.  

Back to the topic at hand.  I’m happy Jeep is still being creative.  People can bag on FCA all they want,  but they are producing some cool outside the box stuff and I’m all for that.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/28/18 10:32 p.m.
ShawnG said:

That is a Scrambler. A Gladiator is a full-size, I know, I owned one.

This is like Ford calling the new SUV a Bronco. Broncos had two doors. Always. The new thing they're making is an Expedition.

Remember when Chargers, even FWD, were 2 doors?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/28/18 10:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to irish44j :

So for me consolidating a 200 series LC and a Tacoma to a Gladiator will be eye opening I suppose 

crude doesn’t bother me. Had fj40/Nissan patrol early 80s 

low quality however bothers me .... heck the Mazdas/Subarus I have over the years bother me with how low quality their products are compared to Tier 1 Honda/Toyota products 

granted, I was talking about 90s Jeep quality. I assume it has improved. The only modern Jeep I've driven recently (last year) was a Wrangler Sport, which was decent inside in terms of fit an finish, but was an awful vehicle to drive IMO.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/28/18 10:36 p.m.
Cotton said:

In reply to irish44j :

I don’t know,  I sold my 87 Toyota 4x4 after it ate it’s 2nd head gasket and rusted horribly,  I’m selling my FJ40 and keeping my CJ7,  and I still have my 99 XJ which was miles ahead of an earlier XJ I had.  Regardless, we’re comparing apples and oranges because the new stuff is totally different than either of our old XJs etc.  

Back to the topic at hand.  I’m happy Jeep is still being creative.  People can bag on FCA all they want,  but they are producing some cool outside the box stuff and I’m all for that.

Agree on all counts, and admitted the 80s Toyotas were fairly crude and definitely rust-prone. The 3rd Gen 4Runner and Tacoma were really a huge step-up from the earlier generation in every respect. 

LIke I said, I think it's cool that Jeep is actually making this. I just sometimes think that Jeep could ditch the minority of "purists" one of these days and put IFS on something like this, which is even less likely to go off-road than a wrangler these days (which is not very likely in its own right). Keeping the solid front axle is just lip-service to the "Jeep purists" and really makes little sense in a practical or performance aspect, in my opinion. 

Give me a Jeep that handles on the road like a 4Runner, I'll be interested again. 

1 2 3 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iFZI6DkMzJrTCvOWkyfcJRyFCh9sNlYs1GyoM6abDGYxYWcgPqzPE8X3rYGJXOU7