1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/4/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I was just doing the same. It gets expensive quick if you're planning on actually towing anything.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
4/4/19 2:07 p.m.

As I’ve found while shopping for camping trailers to pull with my Tacoma, payload and GCVW are the limiting functions for mid-size trucks well before actual towing capacity. Probably all trucks. A Gladiator Sport S with the manual transmission has a 1600# payload limit with a 4500# towing capacity. That seems to be actually pretty realistic of what you can actually safely pull, unless you always tow without passengers and luggage.

The extra payload over a Tacoma, 6” more rear legroom, and manual transmission with open roof options are really the keys to me. A quick revision of my Sport S build has me to $42,500 (manual, hard top with liner, trailer package, cold weather package, aux switches, and a few other small options). That’s only $10k more than my Taco stickers new, and about the same as an F-150 XL that’ll do everything but off-road, top down, and “be easy to park in town” better...

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/4/19 5:14 p.m.

Wait wait what now? The manual can only tow 4500lbs max? That can't be right, can it? 

Why not? Isn't that about what they rate a Wrangler for? Stupidly low tow ratings for manuals are standard operating procedure nowadays.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/4/19 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Because it seems like we're only a decade or so out from manual transmissions and towing being a thing. Like, big trucks ONLY had manuals. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/4/19 9:01 p.m.

I havent seen one in the wild yet, but the only decent looking ones I've seen in photos have a good bit of lift and big tires. So...to make it look good I have to spend 10 grand and ruin the towing capability?  Hmmmm... 

Hopefully they're better looking in real life...

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/4/19 10:15 p.m.

Because it seems like we're only a decade or so out from manual transmissions and towing being a thing. Like, big trucks ONLY had manuals. 

Well, manuals are gone from new full size trucks (iirc?). They exist in midsizes but I don't know for how long, or even really why. I can see why an auto would be rated higher in terms of pure mechanical ability, but i do think the ratings on manuals are lower than what  the pure mechanical aspect justifies. I guess that's a tiny downside of warranties.  I think anyone mechanically inclined enough to have a strong inkling that the manuals are underrated has only one option: ignore the ratings. They aren't going to get better. Enthusiast drivers 'drive around' things far more difficult than whatever warranty concerns the OEMs have about rating the manuals higher. We're the experts on finessing the human inputs to the machine to get results the machine wasn't necessarily built to produce. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/5/19 8:04 a.m.

Jalopnik just did a very good, in-depth dive into how Jeep got the Gladiator to get that 7650lb towing capacity. Pretty interesting hearing how they wrangled (no pun intended) the better cooling within such a limited space, including such things as widening the slats in the grille and using a different grille insert material. Unfortunately, the diesel version will have a lower towing capacity than the gas jobs, because the charge air cooler will reduce the radiator and transmission cooler efficiency

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/5/19 3:40 p.m.

So you either order the max towing package orcdo without also not available on a rubicon or overland it seems.....

AnthonyGS
4/6/19 10:36 p.m.

After a little more digging it seems the towing max is 7650 in the sport with max towing package.  The overland with auto can tow 6000 lbs and the Rubicon with auto is rated at 7000 lbs.  7k is my personal goal since that can conceivably tow anything I would ever want.  I guess I will be hunting discount Rubicons in December.... and probably wait until Dec 2020.  I have no problem telling a dealer, see you again in 12 months if they can't be favorable. 

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
4/8/19 6:17 a.m.

Jeep seems to be trolling us that want a two door truck with the J6 Concept from Easter Jeep Safari this year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27066909/jeep-j6-concept-2019-moab-easter-jeep-safari/

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/8/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to madeatdark :

Rhats the jeep truck i want. Not the one they have actually made.

Granted, im not sure i could actually afford either one, but lets not cloud the issue with facts.

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
4/8/19 7:13 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It is exactly the truck I want as well! Give me all fun Wrangler features, in a small-ish truck. FCA/Jeep needs to build this quick! Hopefully they'll get a lot of positive feedback at Easter Jeep Safari and they'll make it, until then I'll go back to looking at two-door Ram trucks.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/8/19 7:58 a.m.

In reply to madeatdark :

I will grab a lawn chair and camp out at my local dealer for an order of they decide to build that. That is the Jeep I've been wanting since I was a kid. 

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
4/8/19 8:05 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'd be right there too! There has to be a market for something like this, right? I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is interested in something like this concept

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
4/8/19 9:41 a.m.

That J6 is based off the Wrangler Unlimited, not the Gladiator. Just like before. Here's a link to all the Easter concepts. Always cool to see what they cook up behind the scenes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/2019-easter-jeep-safari-concepts-bring-companys-truck-heritage-to-moab/ar-BBVIgTs?li=BBnb4R5

Of course there is an actual Scrambler...

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
4/8/19 9:58 a.m.
llysgennad said:

That J6 is based off the Wrangler Unlimited, not the Gladiator.

Ok perfect, plenty of JL aftermarket goodies already available for it. I know standard cab, short bed is a niche market but damn I want this exact Jeep/truck... FCA if you're listening, build it!

mazdeuce - Seth
4/8/19 10:06 a.m.

I'm 100% ok with it being on a WU frame and running gear. I can live with the 3500lb towing for that particular truck. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/8/19 10:40 a.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

Something about that picture makes the Gladiator look even bigger, almost to the point of ungainly. I really want that standard cab FCA was showing off in the Easter concepts today as I've been kicking around the idea of a Ranger.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/8/19 12:21 p.m.

If we are demanding Easter Safari concepts be made into production, then I'll be waiting for the Shortcut concept, where they chopped down a Wrangler to CJ-5 proportions and threw in a bunch of retro touches

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/8/19 1:08 p.m.

I want the J6 shortbed with the Scrambler graphic treatment and sport bar. And a lotto ticket to pay for it.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
4/8/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I'm waiting for the Hurricane. Twin Hemi's, 4 wheel independent steering...

AnthonyGS
4/8/19 9:02 p.m.

In reply to madeatdark :

As a two door Ram owner, I say don’t do it.  I live in the city and every parking spot wants me to be an Asian girl in a smart car.  It’s too wide to park, doesn’t move wnough people when you need that function and it sits too damn high and rides like a 4x4.  It has a 4x4 suspension and ride height.  

If you really want to get a two doir truck, the old two door trucks are better.  Lightning, 454SS, CK 1500 sport or stepside with 350....  

Wanna buy mine?  

AnthonyGS
4/8/19 9:07 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to llysgennad :

Something about that picture makes the Gladiator look even bigger, almost to the point of ungainly. I really want that standard cab FCA was showing off in the Easter concepts today as I've been kicking around the idea of a Ranger.

The practical side of me tells me I really want a Ranger crew cab with the FX4 offroad package.  It’ll ride better, drive better, last longer, be better on fuel, easier to add powah, and go everywhere I plan to go.....  but JEEP!!!!!  1st world problems suck.

What I don’t want anymore is a two door too damn high too damn wide RAM. And I really really don’t want a too damn wide too damn high and two damn long double cab RAM...  but a RAM hemi powered 2D is surprisingly quick.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/9/19 1:02 a.m.
NickD said:

Jalopnik just did a very good, in-depth dive into how Jeep got the Gladiator to get that 7650lb towing capacity. Pretty interesting hearing how they wrangled (no pun intended) the better cooling within such a limited space, including such things as widening the slats in the grille and using a different grille insert material. Unfortunately, the diesel version will have a lower towing capacity than the gas jobs, because the charge air cooler will reduce the radiator and transmission cooler efficiency

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

That reminds me of the first Challenge i ever attended, when my tow vehicle was at least 50% over its tow rating and had a failing thermostat that was sticking closed. I had enough tools on me to take it out, but for whatever reason i didnt and nursed a semi-overheating, 50% overcapacity tow vehicle across thousands of miles (well, two thousand anyway) at full highway speeds. I was thermally limited to a top speed of 85, but only the maddening monotony of north florida in the middle of the night could drive me to such desperate levels of not wanting to be where i am. I did ~70 most of the time. I'm pretty sure if my tow vehicle was only rated for 6000 because of the radiator I'd barely be able to tow a house at all! 

skierd
skierd SuperDork
4/9/19 2:41 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

After a little more digging it seems the towing max is 7650 in the sport with max towing package.  The overland with auto can tow 6000 lbs and the Rubicon with auto is rated at 7000 lbs.  7k is my personal goal since that can conceivably tow anything I would ever want.  I guess I will be hunting discount Rubicons in December.... and probably wait until Dec 2020.  I have no problem telling a dealer, see you again in 12 months if they can't be favorable. 

The problem with towing with a Rubicon is the same problem I’m having with my Tacoma: payload. Tongue weight on a 7000# trailer will eat at least 700# of rubicon’s payload 1160# rating, only leaving you 460 pounds for you and anyone/thing else you’re carrying. Practically you’re limited to 4000-5000 pounds of towing unless you’re very light weight, always alone, or don’t put anything in the truck. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Azy77RcX8wy3M3Qzsvs3aNsIHz5mFR9cFBAoW1fTDUhUXYeznc9zLKiThwNZE4Xh