1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/14/19 2:27 p.m.
feature_image

For those who need to conquer the wilds while still bathed in opulence, Mercedes-Benz has offered their G-class wagon since 1979. The line is new for 2018 and, of course, there’s now a high-output AMG version. That’s the one that we sampled.

Some numbers to chew on:

Its handcrafted 4.0-liter biturbo V8 produces 577 horsepower along with 627 lb.-ft. of …

Read the rest of the story

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/14/19 3:02 p.m.

My old neighbor worked for MB NA and brought a metallic orange one of those home once, it was a 2017 I think.  He let me drive it for about 20 minutes and my biggest take away was that something that big and heavy should not move that fast.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/14/19 3:13 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

He let me drive it for about 20 minutes and my biggest take away was that something that big and heavy should not move that fast.

That pretty much sums it up. It's like driving a really fast shed. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/14/19 4:23 p.m.

Coming soon to school pickup lanes and nail salons all over LA!

It's astonishing that Mercedes has managed to take a humble farm vehicle and turn it into one of the most "look at me" rich lady cars out there. Brilliant, really.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/14/19 4:29 p.m.

These cars are the ultimate status symbols for housewives.  Discrete enough that it's not a Bentley or RR, but expensive enough that everyone knows what you're driving, especially other housewives.  And like 90% of the ones I see on the street are the AMG version, vs. the non-AMG variants.  Because you know, the non-AMG versions would get looked down upon...  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/14/19 4:41 p.m.

Ours moves on pretty good and it’s just the NA G550.  I need to drive a newer G63 for comparison.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/14/19 4:46 p.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

The right people know. laugh

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/14/19 4:48 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah, right?  You don't want to get disinvited to the next week's lunch at the Four Seasons!!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/14/19 4:51 p.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

Dude, I HOST that lunch. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/19 5:52 p.m.

I'll drive it every day. Red and everything. berkeley what people think! 

Bubbal
Bubbal GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/14/19 9:09 p.m.

The really right Mom’s drive the awd Sprinter passenger van with the ac on the roof.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
5/14/19 11:30 p.m.
Dave M said:

It's astonishing that Mercedes has managed to take a humble farm vehicle and turn it into one of the most "look at me" rich lady cars out there...

Farm vehicle? Maybe you're thinking of the Unimog. The Geländewagen was developed with Steyr-Daimler-Puch as a military vehicle, not for farmers. And, of course, this thing shares nothing with a real G-Wagen other than the styling.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/15/19 5:21 p.m.

Someone needs to put together a body kit to dress up old Isuzu Troopers to look like these! I can just see the crestfallen expression when the pretty little gold-digger climbs into the cab only to find janky old cloth and plastic.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/15/19 7:05 p.m.

You know,  you’d think a forum full of Miata fans would be a little better about stereotypes.  It’s funny,  I drive something like my old square body Suburban and people think I’m a poor hillbilly,  drive the g wagon and,  well,  you can see with how this thread is turning out.  Of course,  I have so many cars that invoke some sort of stereotype that I look at like Yupididit, “berkeley what people think!”

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/15/19 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Brian_13 :

Sorry, farm/Jeep, tomato/tomahhto!

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/15/19 7:30 p.m.
Cotton said:

You know,  you’d think a forum full of Miata fans would be a little better about stereotypes.  It’s funny,  I drive something like my old square body Suburban and people think I’m a poor hillbilly,  drive the g wagon and,  well,  you can see with how this thread is turning out.  Of course,  I have so many cars that invoke some sort of stereotype that I look at like Yupididit, “berkeley what people think!”

Welp, aren't something like 1/3rd of all US AMG sales in LA? I guarantee that 0% of those are going off-road. You may destroy mad Moab trails in your G-Wagen, but the vast majority of folks who drive them don't.

Sometimes stereotypes are earned (AMG G Wagens), sometimes they're not (Miatas), and sometimes it's in between (WRXs). 

Btw the most amazing thing is that Mercedes will sell you, the discerning rich buyer, whatever car you need. If you're the fifth-generation blueblood who needs stealth wealth, E-Class wagon. If you're the trust fund daughter of a Qatari shiek, AMG G Wagen. And everything in between.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/15/19 7:41 p.m.
Dave M said:
Cotton said:

Welp, aren't something like 1/3rd of all US AMG sales in LA? I guarantee that 0% of those are going off-road. You may destroy mad Moab trails in your G-Wagen, but the vast majority of folks who drive them don't.

Sometimes stereotypes are earned (AMG G Wagens), sometimes they're not (Miatas), and sometimes it's in between (WRXs). 

Btw the most amazing thing is that Mercedes will sell you, the discerning rich buyer, whatever car you need. If you're the fifth-generation blueblood who needs stealth wealth, E-Class wagon. If you're the trust fund daughter of a Qatari shiek, AMG G Wagen. And everything in between.

Well,  it’s good to know I’ve found the source of truth for stereotypes on the forum.  What sort of paradox does it create when someone owns a g wagon as well as an e class wagon?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/19 7:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to bcp2011 :

Dude, I HOST that lunch. 

Gives new meaning to "fast food".

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/15/19 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Sorry to have hit a nerve. Did not intend to offend. Having said that, the stereotypes for the AMG version of this car is pretty spot on. I’ve seen it play out the same way in Houston and Chicago and burbs of New York City. MB has even admitted that the bulk of G class sales are for the AMG version. Why if not for status?  Because most people spending that type of dough needs a hand built 500+hp motor?

Stereotypes exist for every car and every make. I think most people on this forum would not look at Porsche or bmw owners for their general population stereotypes, but maybe this one is pretty spot on?

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/15/19 8:48 p.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

It’s no big deal.  I just came from a hellish shopping experience at the mall,  the Prada store didn’t have the latest man handbag I’ve had my eye on,  then off to the salon for a pedicure and they tried to use the cheap feets lotion....ridiculous.  And to top it all off another g wagon got the best compact car slot....it’s been one of those days!  laugh

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/15/19 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Totally understand. Sounds like you need a Dom and caviar night to me!!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 12:49 a.m.

Just had a G350D in Tokyo for a week, what utter rubbish! Slow, noisy, poor manners. 

Glad to have the v8s on this side of the pond! 

Love the G, even though they are getting rarer locally, with everyone driving the ugly Bentayga these days at the school line. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/16/19 7:14 a.m.

I'd probably order mine in an even more garish color. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 7:23 a.m.

My wife has been bugging me for one as a replacement for her H2. This revamped one hopefully will result in many being traded in so the used market for the older ones comes down a bit. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/19 7:37 a.m.

What’s the coolest car an “uber-rich and everybody knows it already” dude can drive?  I just look to my friend of a friend, family money, one term Congressman (as a hobby-only ran once), and all around great guy’s garage.  What do I find?  15 year old rusty club cab Toyota 4X2.  Ha.  Airplanes though,...that’s another story.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pcg3Ohr2ClsHu4xxD8UtXyJXpyJAGWcjlK9x3Nxmub5x6fy76FAKMfkh0FX44DyV