1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/4/18 10:06 a.m.

A quick search on Autotrader didn't turn up anything other than HILARITY. I literally saw some dealerships advertising 2018 Miata's at MORE THAN MSRP. Trololol

Whereas most other dealers are offereing 2500-4500 off MSRP on leftover '17s and '18s.

Just curious if anyone has seen anything yet?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/18 10:10 a.m.

Hard top or roadster? I ask because at the press intro Mazda said that RFs would come first since they sell more of them. 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
10/4/18 10:22 a.m.

At least around here they are already on the lot in RF form.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/4/18 10:32 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Hard top or roadster? I ask because at the press intro Mazda said that RFs would come first since they sell more of them. 

Roadster for me, sir. The hard top does look good, but the extra weight and roll bar fitment (or did they get around that yet?), make it a no for me. 

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised the RF sells more than roadster. With the NC PRHT, you still get the full convertible experience with the top down, so I could understand that. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/18 11:30 a.m.

Don't quote me, but I believe they said it was a 60/40 split on RF vs. roadster. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/18 12:15 p.m.
z31maniac said:
David S. Wallens said:

Roadster for me, sir. The hard top does look good, but the extra weight and roll bar fitment (or did they get around that yet?), make it a no for me.

RF bar solution exists:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/rf-roll-bar.html

It does make it a non-vert though, so that may be a problem for some.

Just an FYI

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/4/18 2:36 p.m.
Stefan said:
z31maniac said:
David S. Wallens said:

RF bar solution exists:

Just an FYI

Ahh gotcha. 

Yeah, buying an RF than adding a roll bar so it no longer is able to drop the top seems silly to me. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/18/18 12:37 p.m.

Just did a search. The roadsters are starting to hit the lots. Even saw a few '19 Sports already being advertised under MSRP. 

Of course this is on the coast, they don't seem to have made their way inland yet. 

However, MazdaUSA still does not have the 2019 roadster configurator on their site yet. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/18/18 8:56 p.m.

Local dealer here had them back in mid-late August.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/18/18 9:54 p.m.
Snrub said:

RF or Roadster? I haven't seen any '19 'verts until the last couple of days. I'm not interested in any way, shape, or form with the RFs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 10:09 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Stefan said:
z31maniac said:
David S. Wallens said:

RF bar solution exists:

Just an FYI

Ahh gotcha. 

Yeah, buying an RF than adding a roll bar so it no longer is able to drop the top seems silly to me. 

“But we waaaant a coupe!” wink The RF is a good coupe if you don’t put the top down. Blah blah, excuses. I have permanent hardtops and no soft tops on my personal Miatas, and I'll drive the RF every time instead of the soft top. I like the looks and I like the lower sound levels and I don't find the 100 lbs of extra mass on the rear wheels to be objectionable when the car still weighs less than a 2004 Mazdaspeed or any NC Miata.

We’ve had our 2019 RF for over two months now - long enough that the temp tags expired. The soft tops are appearing in dealers, but it’s taking a while for them to work across the US. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/19/18 8:06 a.m.

^Different strokes for different folks. 

I don't have a desire to buy a convertible, then make it not a convertible. wink

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/19/18 8:11 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Snrub said:

RF or Roadster? I haven't seen any '19 'verts until the last couple of days. I'm not interested in any way, shape, or form with the RFs.

Back in August I sat in both to confirm there is no way in heck I fit in a RF and drove a ST.  Then my wife vetoed it. I didn't drive a ND1 and ND2 back to back, but it didn't feel like radically different, just that a minor issue had been corrected in the top end performance of the engine.

Just a suggestion - If you haven't already, try the Fiat 124 as well. I know all the reasons not to, but there are some brand new 2017s out there for $10k+ off (I'm talking arctic pesos so call that $7500, but discounts in general tend to be larger in the US).

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 8:11 a.m.

Some of us like the car regardless of the fact that it's a convertible, and the RF is a good option for us. They're both available, so the popularity of RFs - even those that never put the top down - only makes it easier for Mazda to justify further development of the platform. Instead of saying "it's silly", say "I'm glad there are options that benefit all of us".

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/19/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I suppose... all I can say is I would have been considerably more likely to buy a PRHT version than the RF.  Yes - a targa is "almost" like a convertible.  But "almost" isn't what I want.

The DG Motorsports hardtop looks OK, although I'd rather have a glass window option with a defroster. 

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 9:06 a.m.

That's because you want a convertible that has a nice top in case of weather. The PRHT is goofy looking with the top up. The RF is a gorgeous coupe that can lose part of the roof. I guess it depends on what you consider to be the default state of the car.

Glass windows on aftermarket hardtops either have to steal a window from another vehicle with the accompanying odd styling, or they're really really expensive.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/19/18 9:18 a.m.

The RF is so damn pretty. They have 2019's at my local dealer and I have to drive past the stupid things. My life would be better if they put them at the back of the lot.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/19/18 9:29 a.m.
Snrub said:
z31maniac said:
Snrub said:

Back in August I sat in both to confirm there is no way in heck I fit in a RF and drove a ST.  Then my wife vetoed it. I didn't drive a ND1 and ND2 back to back, but it didn't feel like radically different, just that a minor issue had been corrected in the top end performance of the engine.

Just a suggestion - If you haven't already, try the Fiat 124 as well. I know all the reasons not to, but there are some brand new 2017s out there for $10k+ off (I'm talking arctic pesos so call that $7500, but discounts in general tend to be larger in the US).

I don't find the 124 attractive. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/19/18 9:34 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Some of us like the car regardless of the fact that it's a convertible, and the RF is a good option for us. They're both available, so the popularity of RFs - even those that never put the top down - only makes it easier for Mazda to justify further development of the platform. Instead of saying "it's silly", say "I'm glad there are options that benefit all of us".

I said, "....seems silly to ME." 

And I said I like the way the RF looks, but it's not for ME. 

Do we need to start adding CW/TW for opinions on cars here now? devil

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 9:35 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

The RF is so damn pretty. They have 2019's at my local dealer and I have to drive past the stupid things. My life would be better if they put them at the back of the lot.

And they get so much better with a set of wheels and a suspension upgrade. There are a bunch of lines in the soft top that don't make sense until you see the RF, then you realize the soft top is really an RF with the top cut off instead of the other way around. The blue car is a 2019, BTW.

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 9:39 a.m.
Snrub said:
z31maniac said:
Snrub said:

If you shift at 6000, the ND2 is the same car as the ND1. It just has better throttle response. If you go above 6000, you discover an extra 1500 rpm of powerband that just keeps climbing and climbing. It's turned a very effective engine into an effective and fun one.

The 124 does not have a fun engine. The styling is subjective, but the engine behavior and the 100 lbs hanging off the nose are hard to miss.

I don't know what CW/TW means. And yes, not dropping the top on the RF might seem silly TO YOU, but it's a very valid option for all those people who keep saying there needs to be a Miata coupe. For decades we've been hearing this. Now there is one. Rejoice in it instead of calling it silly with or without personal disclaimers.

It's been quite entertaining watching the C Stock drivers trying to justify not trading in their ND1s on ND2s. Stuff about "it'll only be faster on Nationals courses" and "while the ND2 is sitting on the rev limiter in second, the ND1 will be in third and going 5 mph faster". The real answer is that the ND2 will never be slower than the ND1 - but it's got an extra 1500 rpm of powerband that provides 26 hp more than the ND1. Can't tell me that won't be a better car in competition, no matter how narrowly you define your parameters.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/19/18 9:53 a.m.

Since I have no ability to be productive today and the original question has already been answered, a question for Keith:

I'm 100% ok with the fact that you can pop the center panel off on a Corvette, so if I'm honest with myself I'm also cool with a RF. How far away are we from someone taking the top off, ripping all the actuating guts out and putting it back on with a rollbar and full-ish interior? A car like that pushes about 90% of the buttons I need pushed. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/19/18 9:54 a.m.

That blue RF is definitely a sexy car. 

Now post some sexy roadster pics on the same setups :)

I've already been contemplating buying one, taking a roadtrip to Colorado, and dropping it off with you guys for a few days to work your magic.

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 10:06 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Since I have no ability to be productive today and the original question has already been answered, a question for Keith:

I'm 100% ok with the fact that you can pop the center panel off on a Corvette, so if I'm honest with myself I'm also cool with a RF. How far away are we from someone taking the top off, ripping all the actuating guts out and putting it back on with a rollbar and full-ish interior? A car like that pushes about 90% of the buttons I need pushed. 

People have been asking about that since the RF was introduced, but I suspect the actual take-up by the market would be basically zero. Just like the guys who said "I want roll protection, even if the top is fixed" and then it turns out they didn't really want that after all.

You wouldn't save any weight and you may have trouble keeping the bar away from your head, so it would really be primarily to turn an RF into a full-on track car. It would definitely be expensive.  I will admit I'm mentally putting together a proposal for a V8-powered RF track car built along those lines. A Texas flood car would be the perfect donor. We'll probably see this eventually but not until the prices drop a bit.

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 10:16 a.m.
z31maniac said:

That blue RF is definitely a sexy car. 

Now post some sexy roadster pics on the same setups :)

I've already been contemplating buying one, taking a roadtrip to Colorado, and dropping it off with you guys for a few days to work your magic.

Sexy roadsters, coming up!

I know we're supposed to be all about boost, but I've been driving the ND2 with the new FM exhaust bits (16 hp!) and I'm really, really digging it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rwxmQqVLQP07EXbaCVt66Oifjvh0KVMMNeg9DBtdnarWMW70T8XoSdOZUFzzaprh