Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/17/19 10:30 a.m.
feature_image

In a word, the Toyota C-HR is polarizing. And perhaps that’s the point, given the discussions its design surely elicits around the watercoolers of America.

Here’s how Toyota puts it:

“Stylish, athletic and filled with technology like Toyota Safety Sense P™ (TSS-P), the 2019 Toyota C-HR is the Coupe High-Rider, still representing a leap forward in design, manufacturing and engineering …

Read the rest of the story

Jordan Rimpela
7/17/19 10:40 a.m.

Ah ha! the C-HR dominates all!

(Not really, just entered in the wrong time so now it's stuck)

And I would have gotten away with it, too, had it not been for you sniveling kids!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/17/19 10:44 a.m.

Like Scion, intended demographic was younger millennials. However AARP geezers are all I see driving these.

With another new SUV from Toyota on the horizon , as Alabama factory is getting retooled, they are poised for the current climate

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/17/19 11:44 a.m.

First time I saw one, before I saw the badges, I thought, "This must be the next generation Nissan Puke."

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/19 12:27 p.m.

Looks like they've raised the bar on the inability to check blind spots. I could be wrong; maybe the crazy C-pillar/windows arrangement is actually really clever and works from the driver's seat. But I'm pretty dubious.

I keep hoping that recent years are going to be a passing thing, and that manufacturers figure out how to combine current safety features with a car you can see out of well enough to not need them as often.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/19 1:31 p.m.
Some Toyota marketing committee flacks said:

“Stylish, athletic and filled with technology like Toyota Safety Sense P™ (TSS-P), the 2019 Toyota C-HR is the Coupe High-Rider, still representing a leap forward in design, manufacturing and engineering for Toyota. [ ] The iconic gemstone of the Toyota C-HR evokes universal notions of luxury, attractiveness, sophistication, and strength, while also offering a modern and uncluttered interior with a keen placement of accents and a driver-centric “MeZONE” orientation.”

I understand that there are different demographic slots, but that description, and the vehicle it describes, contain literally NOTHING that I want.

Which is funny, because I just dropped a boatload of cash for a car that is - on paper, anyway - remarkably similar.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/19 1:52 p.m.

C HR.

"Because it's not a coupe, and you don't work in HR."

Can I be in Toyota marketing now?

_
_ HalfDork
7/17/19 2:46 p.m.

They were poised for something great, and then left off the two components that would’ve made it over the top. A turbo charger and a real all wheel drive.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/17/19 3:35 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Toyota doesn't do turbochargers, they leave that to BMW.

If these were available in manual I would probably have bought one instead of the Fit. I actually really like them. The Mrs? Not so much.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/17/19 3:38 p.m.
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/17/19 4:48 p.m.

It looks like every other mini-ute these days: high beltline, tiny rear windows and rear windshield, and funky lines. 

Then again, I'm not a teenage girl, so not like I'd get one either way, lol. 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/17/19 5:20 p.m.

I don't have a problem with car-based SUVs and this seems like a perfectly nice, if overstyled one. But where's the review? It looks like you just transcribed out of Toyota promotional materials and added a paragraph or so of kinda vague feedback. It's not so good when my newspaper contains more information about a vehicle than GRM.  

Jordan Rimpela
7/17/19 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

I've linked to David's counterpoint at the end of what I wrote. If you click on that or the bit 'read the rest of the story here', it'll take you to David's counterpoint. Ideally, we'd have more than one staff member's take on a vehicle, but that doesn't always happen. 

I will however bring your feedback to the others on getting the rest of the review to show up on the forum. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/19 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

Most of their ‘reviews’ that I have seen are like that. They offer a counterpoint but there is almost never any substantive information or opinion it’s in counterpoint to. Unless I’m just not looking in the right place. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/19 7:34 p.m.

You can always bring them to me for testing. I even like toyotas. 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
7/18/19 4:38 a.m.

This car is a 2.0T drop-in and lowering kit away from being Toyota's hot hatch

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/19 6:55 a.m.

This is one of the issues I have with the C-HR:

The rear side windows are tiny. Its like sitting in a cave.

One other issue is the styling. At first I thought it looked kinda cool but now after seeing a few on the streets, I feel like its overstyled and trying to hard to be a "lifestyle" vehicle. Why only FWD? Is it trying to be a CUV? Who is this really for?

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
7/18/19 10:20 a.m.

I was just thinking, "boy, I sure wish car companies would come out with a few new crossover SUV's."

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/18/19 10:28 a.m.

As much as I generally dislike crossovers and some of the styling choices of this one, their two-tone option works for me, particularly the blue-and-white. There's a blue and white C-HR that parks near my office and it always gives me pause.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gco7i2HgoysYz69Radufoq6CnTpbsbRMRUHaymGvjzQxo4fsgzUo6TF6v9euk5m2