1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/10/19 9:28 a.m.

They just released a bunch of stuff on the 2020 Explorer and it's interesting. RWD platform. Tows 5600lbs with the big motor. Three rows and Ford has been hitting the luxury interior game pretty hard. 

Also, is this the platform that the new Bronco will be on? 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/19 9:42 a.m.

I like the looks of the thing, more aggressive than the current gen.

Not a fan of that giant iPad sticking up out of the dash, though:

mazdeuce - Seth
1/10/19 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Welcome to the future. I thought the one one the ND Miata looked ugly but I don't even notice it driving. I suspect this will be the same way as long as it's durable. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/10/19 9:56 a.m.

Those stand out ipads are going to look incredibly dated in some time.  They're designing it as a visual feature and highlight of the design as opposed to integrating it into the overall design, but that seems to be the trend lately.  

The vehicle itself looks great, and should drive nice being a RWD based chassis.  Tow rating is impressive as well.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/10/19 9:58 a.m.

Seth, no, the Bronco is off the T6 platform like the new Ranger, real Body on Frame.

Tom, all, that large screen is only for the top of the line models, the regular vehicles get a smaller screen.  Stop complaining everyone, it's a race for bigger screens across the industry, especially for the China Market.

I nearly posted this earlier, but I thought I'd wait for someone else to so I don't get accused of whoring up my employer!

No massive consternation about the fact there's an ST model?  I thought after the outrage from some quarters over an ST Edge this would have set heads to explode setting!

Don't forget, externally this hasn't grown much, but it's got a much longer wheelbase than the outgoing model, should help stability, especially when towing.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/19 10:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Tom, all, that large screen is only for the top of the line models, the regular vehicles get a smaller screen.  Stop complaining everyone, it's a race for bigger screens across the industry, especially for the China Market.

When have you known me to buy anything BUT the top model? cheeky

No massive consternation about the fact there's an ST model?  I thought after the outrage from some quarters over an ST Edge this would have set heads to explode setting!

Check the comment section in the Jalopnik article.......

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/10/19 10:24 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
When have you known me to buy anything BUT the top model? cheeky

Mustang GT not Shelby devil   Hang on, I don't recall an F150 Platinum, Limited, King Ranch or Raptor either cheeky

Check the comment section in the Jalopnik article.......

JAlopnik commenters, the one group on earth to make YouTube commenters look like intellectuals!  

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/10/19 10:25 a.m.

So it's based on the Ranger but has 2k lbs less towing capacity with a bigger engine? Not that I wouldn't tow whatever I felt was safe with it, but that's interesting. 

I dont like the front end. I actually think the '11-15 model was the best looking Explorer in history with the '16 being a couple notches down and the front end at least on this one being another notch down from that. But even I don't value my opinion on this very heavily. cheeky

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/10/19 10:33 a.m.
Vigo said:

So it's based on the Ranger but has 2k lbs less towing capacity with a bigger engine? Not that I wouldn't tow whatever I felt was safe with it, but that's interesting. 

I dont like the front end. I actually think the '11-15 model was the best looking Explorer in history with the '16 being a couple notches down and the front end at least on this one being another notch down from that. But even I don't value my opinion on this very heavily. cheeky

No, no no.  It's not based on the Ranger.  This is an all new rear wheel driver unibody platform.  The only thing it's related too is the new (stunning) Lincoln Aviator.  The Ranger is BoF and is the basis for the new, not yet released Bronco.  

mazdeuce - Seth
1/10/19 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Thanks for the clarification. I was kind of hoping you would show up with the details. laugh

Talked to Mrs. Deuce after she read the article and she's interested as it looks functional as we transition to only needing emergency seating for six instead of full time. 

Are we gong to see the Bronco at Detroit or is that still off in the distance? 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/10/19 11:10 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Are we gong to see the Bronco at Detroit or is that still off in the distance? 

No.  Sorry, not going to comment on timing beyond that!

mazdeuce - Seth
1/10/19 11:11 a.m.

Ah crap. I suppose I'll just go wash the FJ then. sad

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/10/19 11:12 a.m.

Seth, look me up when you upgrade, and sell the FJ :)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/10/19 2:51 p.m.

The Massachusetts State Police will buy most of them apparently. I’m guessing they’ll be able to fly past you at 90+mph with no lights on after they give you your first speeding ticket in 28 years. I know the current ones do that!frown

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/10/19 4:20 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

Those stand out ipads are going to look incredibly dated in some time.  They're designing it as a visual feature and highlight of the design as opposed to integrating it into the overall design, but that seems to be the trend lately.  

The vehicle itself looks great, and should drive nice being a RWD based chassis.  Tow rating is impressive as well.  

agree, I don't really get that setup. Having an integrated screen is much cleaner. Is this one of the motorized ones that will slide down when not in use?

Still amazes me that a 4cyl Explorer these days has more power and almost as much tow capacity as my 4.7 V8 Sequioa, lol.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/19 4:40 p.m.

Will there be a non-curved surface to rest your left foot on? I occasionally drive a '15 model at work and having to rest my left foot on the curved in 2 dimensions (vertical & lateral) wheel well or bend my knee nearly 90* to place my foot flat on the floor is annoying and gets uncomfortable after 30 minutes.  Otherwise it (our '15) seems like a decent vehicle.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
1/10/19 4:44 p.m.

The Aviator wears it better wink

Seriously though, I might try to get my wife out of her X-Terra and into a modern Ford product. The new platform looks really appealing.

Edit: Both engines are turbocharged? I'm assuming premium is a requirement? Makes me wonder what the efficiency figures look like.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/19 5:15 p.m.

Why not just provide a dock for the device of your choice with developed apps to interface with the vehicle?

Seems like it would allow for easier technology upgrades plus something the Dealer could add-on (charge through the nose for) for those that don't have their own devices already or to allow for an "approved" device that they partner with?

JimS
JimS Reader
1/10/19 5:32 p.m.

Just got a Q5 with the big screen. I hate the way it looks but in all honesty it is not noticeable when driving.  The top of the screen is at dashboard level so it doesn't intrude on visibility like I thought it would from pictures. Still would prefer an integrated screen  

Nate90LX
Nate90LX New Reader
1/10/19 6:48 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I doubt it will “require” premium. Most of the Ecoboost motors are designed to run safely on 87 octane. I think they retard timing and reduce boost with lower octane fuel, but without premium there will be reduced power. But I think there is only a small reduction in torque. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/10/19 9:47 p.m.

Based on what a friend found in his EB F-150, running 87 hurts mpg a bit too.  To the point where running 93 is almost the same cost per mile. 

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
1/10/19 10:36 p.m.

Just bought a 2018 Sport for the wife, its a neat SUV and fun to drive for what it is. The only thing I like better about the 2020 is that it is going to have a longitudinal engine as opposed to the current transverse layout.

Otherwise, the current Explorer Sport is a good looking and capable SUV.

Also, the 2020's are going to have ST models (no manual trans available in the Explorer though) which will apparently have a 400+ hp version of the 3.5 Ecoboost - current gen is at 365 hp / 350 ft/lbs torque.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/11/19 8:18 a.m.
GarageGorilla said:

Also, the 2020's are going to have ST models (no manual trans available in the Explorer though) which will apparently have a 400+ hp version of the 3.5 Ecoboost - current gen is at 365 hp / 350 ft/lbs torque.

Where did you hear this? Pretty exciting news. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 8:39 a.m.

My issue with these is the same as every other "family" car...they are too damned expensive.  $40 - $50K for most families is just too much to drop on a minivan or SUV, and trucks are even worse!  Everyone wants to be Mercedes or BMW these days, even Hyundais are crazy expensive. Whatever happened to cars for the masses?  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
1/11/19 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Nate90LX :

Interesting. That shows how much I know about post 2013 turbocharged vehicles.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PKlR8dSqytIrkBI1sYHhp6W3fQYYbO9FwmLWCwMszUlXeiZMpD1XwnyTzLOyS7bx