1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 8:46 a.m.

So yeah, if I have no kids or pets or stuff, I can buy a Ford SUV in the 20K range.  But any kind of room means $30k minimum, and if you want a nice big thing to tow and haul lots of stuff, bring bags and bags of money.  Keep in mind that they don't sell anything at these "starting" prices, you are locked into option packages that will add another $5K at least, and if you want the models you see on TV, add $10K - $20K. (The Edge ST is $50k at every dealer I have seen them at. My Fiesta ST was $21K. I could buy two and fix both of them up for less money than an Edge.) 

I get it, safety and convenience have made cars expensive.  But SOMEONE should be offering families something like this again! 

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
1/11/19 8:54 a.m.

Just so we can all bitch and moan about pricing a bit more...

A top of the line 2000 Explorer was 34000 msrp which is 50600 today adjusted for inflation. As much as I don't like the bloated, options heavy, heavy, ugly, I'm still whining, new cars out there you do get a lot more car for the same money as you did 19(!) years ago.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/19 9:11 a.m.
buzzboy said:

A top of the line 2000 Explorer was 34000 msrp which is 50600 today adjusted for inflation. As much as I don't like the bloated, options heavy, heavy, ugly, I'm still whining, new cars out there you do get a lot more car for the same money as you did 19(!) years ago.

This! But, people dont feel like their income has grown at the same rate as inflation so bitching will happen. There will be enough sold where people can buy them secondhand. Just understand SUV's and trucks do not depreciate as fast as cars lol

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/19 9:52 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:
GarageGorilla said:

Also, the 2020's are going to have ST models (no manual trans available in the Explorer though) which will apparently have a 400+ hp version of the 3.5 Ecoboost - current gen is at 365 hp / 350 ft/lbs torque.

Where did you hear this? Pretty exciting news. 

Well, it's already been announced that the Aviator is getting the 400hp mill from the Continental and MKZ (it's a 3.0L, by the way). It makes logical sense that they'd use that engine for the ST.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/19 9:54 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

I get it, safety and convenience have made cars expensive.  But SOMEONE should be offering families something like this again! 

If the market demanded it, someone would. But then again, this wouldn't be a GRM thread about a new car without complaints about the cost, so carry on! laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/11/19 10:00 a.m.

As cars last longer I think there is a shift in who is buying new. Buy a new $15k car or a five year old one? No contest, the five year old car is going to be nice and last another 100k miles. This has hurt the bottom end of the market and shifted focus to the upper end where there is more profit anyway. Or I'm wrong. Who knows? 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/11/19 10:09 a.m.

Thats' a BIG price jump to the expedition from the explorer. 32 Bases seems ok. With ford discounting off MSRP I say they hit it out of the park. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/11/19 10:14 a.m.
yupididit said:
buzzboy said:

This! But, people dont feel like their income has grown at the same rate as inflation so bitching will happen. There will be enough sold where people can buy them secondhand. Just understand SUV's and trucks do not depreciate as fast as cars lol

It's been about on pace with inflation. Since early 80s, but I won't take it any further than that.  

People like to talk about "back in the 50s-60s you could blah, blah, blah, on one salary." 

While ignoring back then, people didn't have expensive cell phone plans, expensive cable TV packages, or the BIG one. Look at the size of the average middle-class home built in the 60s compared to the size now. And that house that's twice as large is filled stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, etc. 

http://www.newser.com/story/225645/average-size-of-us-homes-decade-by-decade.html

1960 to now the avg home size has more than doubled.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/11/19 3:14 p.m.
yupididit said:
buzzboy said:

I bought $105,000 worth of Yukon Denali’s for under $10,000.

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
1/12/19 7:09 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/12/19 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

I get it. And there’s a bit of tongue-in-cheek I’m sure. And having owned four Caravans, I’ll actually agree with you. However, having also owned three Suburbans that have had either 4x4 or AWD, 5.7 to 6.0 V8’s, solid rear (and front) axles etc, a Caravan is NOT a replacement for a Suburban if you need what a Suburban offers.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/19 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

If they’d offer a Grand Caravan HD with a 5500-6000lb tow rating the world would be a much better place. 

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
1/12/19 9:52 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Tongue firmly in cheek.  It was a better argument a few years ago when the Caravan still started at $19k, but now I'm sure Chrysler doesn't want it taking the spotlight from the Pacifica.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

We can dream, right?  The Pentastar isn't a bad engine; people commonly towed that much weight with less power twenty years ago, but it's probably chassis/suspension/axle limitations more than anything.  That and liability.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/14/19 8:34 a.m.

Well, I guess the Explorer ST is a go. 

Explorer ST

llysgennad
llysgennad New Reader
1/14/19 12:13 p.m.

My biggest gripe about the Explorer/current SUV's is that the kids can't see out the windows. 2020 looks even worse. I can't give them ammo for the "I'm bored/look outside" banter.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 4:12 p.m.

My first question is it an engin out to change the water pump?  If so it is off the list!!  I friend just did a water pump on his wife’s Lincoln SUV thing (about the same size as an explorer It was an engin out.  To me that is ford built in obsolesce to get people to trade in cars at 100k. 

Nate90LX
Nate90LX New Reader
1/14/19 6:41 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Since the 2020 will be RWD based, I assume it will have a longitudinal engine. This should make a lot of that service easy. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/19 8:31 p.m.

The benefit of the tablet screen is keeping the rest of the dash low, and I'd rather it not move than do the audi hideaway thing......that will break a few years down the road.........

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hF3rFHVyoKB6GTqxvjpFQorvoZCjmNSWWY4do0tNCVW1P9g912Q2OTHY00c7AxKQ