1 2 3
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/28/18 9:03 a.m.

We've talked about the upcoming Bronco in some other threads about the new Rangers, but I just saw an official Ford teaser photo, so I figured it was time it had it's own thread.

Ford released this photo in an official press packet and Ford peeps have said that although this is most likely a styling buck, it accurately represents the finished vehicle design (at least as far as overall shape goes.) (source)

They've said that it's based on the Ranger/Everest frame, so we know it will be full frame, and most likely IFS. One Ford rep was also quoted some time back as saying it was based on the Everest frame but would be a completely different vehicle. This new image really surprised me. I was expecting something much more like the Everest (which looks fine to me) but this really looks like it goes hard retro to the original. Square profile, spare on the back. It also looks long enough to be a 4 door, but barely. I'm wondering if it will be more like the wing doors on the FJ than a full 4 door people mover.

Anyway, I'm staking out the thread space to talk about it as they proceed to market because I'm pretty fired up about it at this point!  I could absolutely be in this market by the time it comes out.

(coincidentally Ford Europe said elsewhere they will likely do an Everest Raptor.)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/28/18 10:12 a.m.

Just wait for the Bronco Raptor! Dollar signs in FOMOCO eyeballs! Just keep it competitive with the Wrangler.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/28/18 10:49 a.m.

This is interesting. Ford is pretty dedicated to the whole long-ish travel IFS in the Raptor, but the Jeep is solid axles. Are they trying to fill the niche left by the FJ Cruiser or competing directly with the Jeep, because those are different markets. Ford is on a roll lately, this has the potential to be good. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/28/18 10:56 a.m.

If you read between the lines, it's not meant to compete directly with the Wrangler, as it's going to have a nicer interior and such.  I'm thinking baby Range Rover with butch styling, maybe?

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
3/28/18 11:01 a.m.

Ford FJ Cruiser...Neat.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/18 11:04 a.m.

A long-travel IFS+IRS 4x4 would be a good idea, the various moving parts that make independent suspension possible are getting cheaper and more robust these days, they could bring the fight to the Wrangler with a fully independent suspension 4x4 rather than with a live-axle Wrangler knockoff.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/18 11:06 a.m.

Let's count the Ford utilities.

Ecosport

Escape

Edge

Explorer

Flex

Expedition

Did I forget one?

Do they really need another? 

Let's hope it's a real truck with 2 doors, not another leather lined mall crawler.

The F150 based art renderings I've seen are really cool, but I know those aren't happening.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
3/28/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

flex is on its last leg with no replacement/update planned

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/28/18 12:10 p.m.

and of all those, only the Expy and the Explorer really qualify as usable utilities in the traditional sense, and nether of them is good off road.  All the others are tall cars.

and I don't mined leather lined up options if it still has the chops to get me to the back country and the comfort to get me there without being exhausted.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
3/28/18 12:14 p.m.

I'm looking forward too it. Zero plans to buy one new but I'm really hoping it's more truck like then the current explorer. Full frame with a base v6 option appeals to me. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/28/18 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

It'll be based on the ROW Ranger/Everest so it'll have a body on frame design. Only the Expedition has that right now and not really the same market. Anyways most of the F150s sold are all leather lined mall crawlers, but that doesn't mean they still arent used as trucks and in 4 wheel drive situations.

*rant* all jeeps are mall crawlers unless they are being trailered and cover in an acre of mud, all miatas are hairdresser's cars unless they are caged with hoosiers, all corvettes are for retirees unless they're on the track, and all mustangs are for running in to people at cars and coffees unless they are making 1/4 passes. ad nauseum. */rant*

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/28/18 1:04 p.m.

Is the 4 Runner still body on frame? Perhaps this is meant to be somewhere between a Wrangler and 4 Runner in it's scope, rather than a direct Wrangler competitor.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/28/18 1:41 p.m.

I think it is, and it's IFS, solid rear axle. I kind of see the Bronco in that same scope, which is great because there aren't that many options on that market. Granted, it's a narrow market. You've got the 4-Runner, the Wrangler, and....uh....

True mid-sized SUVs with off-road capability and some general utility (towing, storage, ground clearance) are pretty scarce these days. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/28/18 1:50 p.m.

If it doesn't have twin traction beam front suspension then it's not a real Bronco.

/thread

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/28/18 2:03 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

The Bronco people probably think they want back is this one. If you want a full size bronco, a short bed F150 does most of that. If you want a Bronco II, that always was literally just an Explorer.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/28/18 2:57 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

Let's count the Ford utilities.

Ecosport

Escape

Edge

Explorer

Flex

Expedition

Did I forget one?

Do they really need another? 

Let's hope it's a real truck with 2 doors, not another leather lined mall crawler.

The F150 based art renderings I've seen are really cool, but I know those aren't happening.

Can you blame them?  People aren't buying their cars, but their crossovers, trucks, and SUVs sell like hotcakes.  

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/28/18 3:15 p.m.

Just put the word anal before any of their model names and you will be hard pressed not to laugh.

after that go build yourselves a wrangler on FCA's site - its crazy money!  This is a hot ticket for Ford. Gas is cheap here in NAFTA and these things are "relatively" unchanged since the 70s. Trucks are hot and CSUVs are replacing the sedan in America before too long.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/28/18 3:22 p.m.

A Bronco must have 2 doors (only) a transfer case with 2 high, 4 high and 4 low and a REMOVEABLE TOP.  A Camaro wouldn't be a Camaro with 4 doors, just like a Jeep isn't a Jeep with FWD + rear assist like the new Cherokee. And Daylan C, I disagree heavily with your comments.

Jim, the owner of a real Bronco

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/28/18 3:25 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

A Bronco must have 2 doors (only) a transfer case with 2 high, 4 high and 4 low and a REMOVEABLE TOP.  A Camaro wouldn't be a Camaro with 4 doors, just like a Jeep isn't a Jeep with FWD + rear assist like the new Cherokee. And Daylan C, I disagree heavily with your comments.

So when is the next blazer back out? thats the real question here...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/18 3:36 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
Justjim75 said:

So when is the next blazer back out? thats the real question here...

Oh man, that'd be awesome! 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
3/28/18 4:43 p.m.

Does Ford still partner with Navistar?

I'm thinking hardcore diesel Scout offroader.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/18 4:49 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to edizzle89 :

The Bronco people probably think they want back is this one. If you want a full size bronco, a short bed F150 does most of that. If you want a Bronco II, that always was literally just an Explorer.

There is no thinking involved, that is the only true Bronco and the only option that should come back. Just a box on 4 wheels with a v8. 

Which means it's going to be some bullE36 M3 crossover thing with a turbo 4 and fwd because that's what idiots want to crawl their subdivisions with. 

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
3/28/18 5:31 p.m.
RevRico said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to edizzle89 :

There is no thinking involved, that is the only true Bronco and the only option that should come back. Just a box on 4 wheels with a v8. 

Which means it's going to be some bullE36 M3 crossover thing with a turbo 4 and fwd because that's what idiots want to crawl their subdivisions with. 

Of course, the LAST time Ford tried to go after a newer version of the original Bronco, we got the Bronco II.    Which was also based on the Ranger chassis of the time.  Not exactly a modern classic.   

I loved, and very very very dearly miss my old '67.   But I don't hold out much hope of Ford getting this right.   Part of the allure of the Early Bronco's for me is the lack of amenities and basic nature of the truck.  I don't see the current market supporting a vehicle like that.    

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/28/18 6:25 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is interesting. Ford is pretty dedicated to the whole long-ish travel IFS in the Raptor, but the Jeep is solid axles. Are they trying to fill the niche left by the FJ Cruiser or competing directly with the Jeep, because those are different markets. Ford is on a roll lately, this has the potential to be good. 

IDK, other than the small percentage of Jeep owners who hardcore off-road, I doubt that 95% of Wrangler buyers care whether the front suspesion is solid axle or IFS (most probably don't even know). Let's face it, most Jeeps are not for off-roading, they're for style, trendiness, or top-down cruising. IFS provides far better handling and ride than solid axle and the off-road penalty only really applies to hardcore wheeling. There are a ton of 4Runners out there off-roading just fine with IFS. And thousands more Toyota pickups crawling all over the badlands of Afghanistan, Africa, etc with IFS. 

If the Bronco can go top-off, doors off, and looks cool, it will compete with the Jeeps regardless of suspension off-road capability. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/18 6:34 p.m.
irish44j said:

If the Bronco can go top-off, doors off, and looks cool, and costs less than $50k it will compete with the Jeeps regardless of suspension off-road capability. 

Fixed that, for what its worth...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kIizsyoNdSSZldwcRg4hZQ2foDybEMyPiW0QgT0WO2mh7sfCGawALfHydqWmgMs2