1 2 3 4
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/9/20 2:10 p.m.
feature_image

Is the EcoBoost Mustang still worth talking about now that the new Mach 1 has been announced? Let's answer that question with some technical specs.

Under the hood is a 2.3-liter, turbocharged inline-four good for 310 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque. However, the Mustang we got to drive came equipped with the optional 2.3-Liter High Performance Package, which bumps the horsepower …

Read the rest of the story

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
7/9/20 6:29 p.m.

Had a 300 hp V6 Mustang. Compared to my usual Miata or even mid 90s Z28 it was a rocket ship. Got it to handle ok too. But after a bit it gets in the back of your head what 400 hp GT would be like .

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/9/20 6:32 p.m.

An Ecoboost Convertible is my daily driver. Not sure I need more than 310 hp to get to work. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
7/9/20 6:57 p.m.

I’d like to try one to see what the feel difference is.   Sound wise it wouldn’t be a contest, I imagine the lighter weight over the front would be a handling bonus.   Having close to 400 lb. ft. of torque with the 8 is like crack to me after a lifetime of cars with “adequate” power though.  Maybe that should be a minor confession...

No question that over 300 HP and the potential for 30 MPG is pretty sweet for a daily driver. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/20 6:57 p.m.

I don't understand why Ford doesn't put the full 350HP Focus RS version into the Mustang and call it the SVO. They could charge a premium and it would sell as long as it has a bi-level spoiler.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/9/20 7:06 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Having close to 400 lb. ft. of torque with the 8 is like crack to me after a lifetime of cars with “adequate” power though.  

Agree 100%. I need nothing more than a low powered Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit to get me to work and do 99.99% of everything I need. However, needs and wants are different in life. I don't sit at home, drool over Yaris, or Fit, or 4 cylinder Mustangs. My own prejudice aside, I am sure the 4 cyl ecoboost is amazing. But to me if I want a Mustang, I rather have the 5.0L Coyote. Bargains in the 1-2 year old market place. 

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
7/9/20 7:17 p.m.

A 300 hp Mustang is more than enough on the street. 300 hp and close to 30 mpg is a pretty good combination, that's why I got one. For me it was just after a year or so it lost it's luster because there was something better out there. A Miata has far less power, but it is the most powerful Miata you can get. I know this isn't rational.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/9/20 8:09 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
11GTCS said:

Having close to 400 lb. ft. of torque with the 8 is like crack to me after a lifetime of cars with “adequate” power though.  

Agree 100%. I need nothing more than a low powered Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit to get me to work and do 99.99% of everything I need. However, needs and wants are different in life. I don't sit at home, drool over Yaris, or Fit, or 4 cylinder Mustangs. My own prejudice aside, I am sure the 4 cyl ecoboost is amazing. But to me if I want a Mustang, I rather have the 5.0L Coyote. Bargains in the 1-2 year old market place. 

Exactly. Assuming I was going into the office at the moment, the best commuter would be a used Leaf.

I only drive about 40 miles per week most of the time.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/20 8:12 p.m.

These turbos seem to have good torque curves which should make them fun.  The fact that it’s “300 hp” doesn’t mean much to me though.  I had a 300 hp rental Camaro a couple years ago.  V6 VVT.  Unless you were really after it like a total hoon it felt very lazy.  I was not impressed running it up to Big Bear.  My old ‘94 LT-1 with only 275 hp FELT much more stout.  California gas maybe?  

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/9/20 8:18 p.m.

I want to really like it, I truly do. But when a few more dollars gets you a v8 and a few more thousands and a call to Lebanon Ford gets you 750hp that is actually quite daily drivable, delivered to your doorstep, financed, and warrantied....

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
7/9/20 8:27 p.m.

I currently have an Ecoboost Fusion as my daily and my wife drives the F150 but works from home.  I drive 100 miles per day.  I'd much rather have the Mustang but really only have the Fusion as a backup for my wife to haul the kids around if I take the truck and racecar someone.  The Mustang just wouldn't be practical for my situation.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/9/20 8:36 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

These turbos seem to have good torque curves which should make them fun.  The fact that it’s “300 hp” doesn’t mean much to me though.  I had a 300 hp rental Camaro a couple years ago.  V6 VVT.  Unless you were really after it like a total hoon it felt very lazy.  I was not impressed running it up to Big Bear.  My old ‘94 LT-1 with only 275 hp FELT much more stout.  California gas maybe?  

That's the torque, check out the torque curve on this engine.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/9/20 8:57 p.m.

There's a guy local that autocrosses an Ecoboost Mustang. It is impressive, does better than you would think it would. Even with the new driver that's driving it. While not as fast as the V8 Mustangs it does seem to corner better. It's had me daydreaming about using the drivetrain in a smaller lighter car, should be even better. Been daydreaming about one of these in an old Mustang II Cobra, replacing that heavy anemic V8. Or MGB GT, Opel GT or maybe even a Spridget.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/20 9:03 p.m.

my issue is for $7k less you can buy a base manual gt.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
7/9/20 9:48 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Where are you coming up with that?

$32,255 vs $37,075 right now on the Ford website.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/9/20 9:55 p.m.

I constantly daydream about this drivetrain in a 4 door car that is E46 sized.

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
7/9/20 11:43 p.m.

I honestly wish that the new Mustang was available with the 2nd gen 3.5L ecoboost V6.  I would prefer that over the 2.3L or the V8 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/20 12:33 a.m.

I think this engine/trans combo would be sweet in a Factory Five 33 coupe with the 10 speed auto.  I had the superlust for a FF33 when they first hit the market, but then I sat in one at a GoodGuys show and realized how small the footbox was.  If you have a left foot and 3 pedals in a FF33 you have to be either riding the clutch or LF braking, because there is literally nowhere that foot can be.  I wear an 8.5D and couldn't figure out where to put my left foot...This is making me reconsider a FF33 once I retire in a few years...

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/20 6:29 a.m.
Patientzero said:

In reply to MrChaos :

I constantly see base gt's with manuals for 29k

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/10/20 7:22 a.m.
MrChaos said:
Patientzero said:

In reply to MrChaos :

I constantly see base gt's with manuals for 29k

This is thread about the EcoBoost HP package, not the base GT. So yes, for $8k less you could get a GT. I promise this Ecoboost won't sell at MSRP either. Mustangs are always discounted, except GT350/500 type special editions......and actually because of what's going on, they are now. 

For example, this isn't a HPP car, but it's already marked almost $3k off MSRP. And I bet you could knock off another $1-2k without much effort. 

https://www.metrofordofokc.com/new-Oklahoma+City-2020-Ford-Mustang-EcoBoost-1FA6P8THXL5146179

Same dealer even has basically the same new car, but a '19 Ecoboost Premium for even less than the base '20.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/20 7:55 a.m.

My concern with hi output small engines is durability. Sure it's 330hp, but if it eats head gaskets and turbos 70k miles at $3-5k I'm out. Large non-boosted engines seem to last longer with less hassle. And tend to be smother, more low end torque, more tolerant of lower octane fuel.

calteg
calteg Dork
7/10/20 10:08 a.m.

Don't care, the exhaust sounds like a long fart into a wet paper bag and no amount of money can make me forget about it

D2W
D2W Dork
7/10/20 10:23 a.m.

My oldest son had a 2016 GT. Fabulous car, good handling, lots of power. Life got in the way, and living in our four season climate, he decided the payment was too much for a part time car.

Now he is in a better place with no snow. He bought a 2018 base 4 cylinder with 6 speed. Bought it last fall, end of the model year deal for $20K. He has since put on the suspension package from ford, ford's tune to take it up to 330HP, and added a 285 square tire setup. He is right at $23.5K now.

Now I am an old muscle car guy and normally would agree with what most were saying above about having the V8. However, I just got my first  chance to drive it over the 4th of July weekend. Color me impressed. It sticks like glue, and has plenty of power. It revs so fast I was constantly hitting the rev limiter. Would I still buy the V8? I would if money were no object, but for the money I would have this car over any miata/brz/370Z ect. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/10/20 10:45 a.m.

The boostang wins the speed for money argument, particularly once you factor in the discounts.  It makes the wrong noises, and personally I think the it's too darn big, but if you want a cheap fast 2+2 coupe it wins.  The Camaro is not as discounted and the BRZ/86 is not as fast.  I would guess a GTI or Veloster are frequently cross-shopped.

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/10/20 12:51 p.m.

I got to drive an EcoBoost Mustang HPP late last year, with the six speed. Holy cow it was a good, fun car to throw around some Maryland back roads. Felt very European and eager to turn in, compared to the V8 Mustangs I've driven. I really really really like and want V8 noises out of a Mustang, especially if I were to buy one... but it's plenty of power, handles very well, and great on fuel. Hard to argue against that.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V12OjzZDFVOrlfRAh7eCflmAI6xpu5oV9f5SiWHpXTiSPkRqILeUoVrjBla1gBW8