1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/20 10:23 a.m.
Vigo (Forum Supporter) said:

Im just glad someone else is complaining about HVAC controls.  Maybe it's the South Texan in me talking, but the HVAC vent design and controls are some make-or-break design elements for me. I can't actually think of a car that has totally 100% nailed it either. Even when the controls are 'simple and intuitive' they frequently tie things together that i'd rather have individual control over, such as AC function and the recirculate door (not that those two are tied together, but that they're tied to other things). I'd also like more cars to allow you to blow air out of all 3 zones. I just shouldn't even get started because I have a whole curmudgeonly rant about how car manufacturers don't give me enough control over HVAC function. 

I believe the E30 HVAC controls would allow all that.

Also, because I live with one:

You can choose any combination of zones you want, A/C on or off, recirc on or off.  Hitting the "Defrost" button switches you to windshield zone, recirc off, A/C on, and fan on high speed, but you can then modify it as you wish.

It's so simple, intuitive, and user-friendly.  The only thing it is missing is a way to sync the left and right side, but then again, they're KNOBS that you can adjust in an instant, instead of scrolling an up/down button through a temperature, one degree at a time.

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
7/11/20 11:51 p.m.

Really!  This is going to be about HVAC controls and not the gem of a car by Genesis given to enthusiasts.  I must have stumbled onto the the wrong website.

Clearly this column was misnamed.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/12/20 12:12 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

It's so simple, intuitive, and user-friendly.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/20 6:32 a.m.
TreDeuce said:

Really!  This is going to be about HVAC controls and not the gem of a car by Genesis given to enthusiasts.  I must have stumbled onto the the wrong website.

99% of time time spent in a car is rolling around at zero tenths.  These things are important if you want a car you can live with, as opposed to tolerate.  Buying a NEW car implies that you want something that doesn't actively piss you off on your drive to work.

Which is where I really, really want a shiftable automatic, because reasons.  And I gotta have AWD, because I don't like it when I have to mind my throttle just because it's raining or whatever.  And it has to be fairly light, because I like a car that can transition quickly so I can snap into a different lane to cut past zombies on cruise control.  (So... about that 2.5 turbo Mazda 3 coming out next year...)

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/12/20 8:26 a.m.

In regards to HVAC controls, it is about the little things... 

Have to give props for Hyundai/Kia for having actual knobs..

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/12/20 9:44 a.m.
TreDeuce said:

You're new here. You'll learn. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/12/20 10:34 a.m.

So?  How's the car?

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
7/12/20 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm not new here.

I  rarely comment and for some reason I have to keep getting a new PASSWORD!?  And that cycles into 'New Reader'  I have been a subscriber and news stand purchaser for years and have a couple of stacks of GRM/and Classic Motorsport magazines each now over 2 & half feet high. Great publications that help me enjoy one my favorite activities and help at times to support my pool of drivers. _  91' - 325is _ 91'-318is _ 96' - 328is _ newly acquired 97'- M3 _ 93' MX5 _ 2005' - MX5 'MazdaSpeed, and my hill climber, my version of Lotus-7/Locust with a 96' Corvette drivetrain with No HVAC controls.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/12/20 9:39 p.m.

In reply to TreDeuce :

Still, this is Grassroots Motorsports. If we're shelling out nearly 40k for a sedan, then the HVAC controls need to be well thought out. It's not a racecar where comfort is trumped by performance, it's a "luxury sedan". 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Deg1DoAeWkzkN7MNexj5xpdGziZmPzV1Xcaggv4YTJYsE4Ksiqu1wGRUyZkRMSh