1 2
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/3/19 10:15 a.m.
feature_image

OK class: Pop-quiz time! Who remembers the Kia Borrego? If you had to Google it, you’re not alone, and we won’t take points off. The blink-and-you’ll-miss-it Kia Borrego was Kia’s flagship SUV, introduced to the American market all the way back in 2008. It lasted one model year, 2009. Even with body-on-frame construction and the Tau 4.6-Liter V8 available, consumers …

Read the rest of the story

Jordan Rimpela
6/3/19 10:16 a.m.

The Borrego. What a difference a decade makes. 

_
_ Reader
6/3/19 10:32 a.m.

Really Kia? Unibody?

Jordan Rimpela
6/3/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to _ :

All the cool kids are doing it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/19 11:22 a.m.

I dig it. I'm not in the market for something like this, but I like looks and reviews I've read so far. 

It reminds me of a Land Rover I could afford to buy and maintain.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/3/19 11:33 a.m.

I've seen a couple on the street and they are good looking truckish things. Plenty capable in all regards for most peoples needs, I suspect. I saw an article somewhere that tested teh off road ability and was pleasantly surprised, at least for a BOF without a 2spd xfer case.

How were the Borregos off road? I remember the name but nothing at all about the vehicle.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/19 12:43 p.m.

The only thing I got from that article was there are 4.6-Tau donors out there. Everything else was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo about Parking Lot cruisers. 

EDIT: Hmm.... I wonder if the bell housing on the Tau is similar to the Lambda? Tau-swapped Gen Coupe? 

EDIT dos: sweet.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/3/19 12:49 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

How were the Borregos off road? I remember the name but nothing at all about the vehicle.

Not sure on the offroad spec, but I recall that parts availability was nightmarish even when they weren't even that old. Our GM dealer sold a used one in around '11 or '12 and it had a rear diff failure if I recall, so we sent it to Kia because it was still under powertrain warranty. It sat up there for 2 months while they waited for a new one

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/3/19 12:51 p.m.

My wife has declared this is the only possible replacement of the AngieVan (a Sedona). It isn't in the cards financially, and I like the minivan better anyways, but it still looks awesome. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/19 12:54 p.m.
mtn said:

My wife has declared this is the only possible replacement of the AngieVan (a Sedona). It isn't in the cards financially, and I like the minivan better anyways, but it still looks awesome. 

It's Korean. Wait two years and it'll be priced right. Wait, it's an SUV, so make that 3 years. 

Jordan Rimpela
6/3/19 1:21 p.m.
bobzilla said:

The only thing I got from that article was there are 4.6-Tau donors out there. Everything else was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo about Parking Lot cruisers. 

EDIT: Hmm.... I wonder if the bell housing on the Tau is similar to the Lambda? Tau-swapped Gen Coupe? 

EDIT dos: sweet.

I'm glad someone caught that the Borrego had the 4.6 option. Sweet indeed.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/19 1:35 p.m.

Speaking of the donor car... I rode in one last year. One of our marketing girl's boyfriend owned one. It was like many Kia's and Hyundais and had been beaten HARD. brake rotors were a pretty color of blue and the entire truck shook like hell under hard braking. Interior was filthy and had more scratches from stuff getting tossed in without a care in the world. She said it had 140k miles and they changed oil and tires in the previous 4 years. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/3/19 1:51 p.m.
bobzilla said:
mtn said:

It's Korean. Wait two years and it'll be priced right. Wait, it's an SUV, so make that 3 years. 

Barring a wreck (don't say that!), the van stays for at least 10 years. But I'd probably do what we did with the van - look for a leftover MY and lowball the hell out of the dealer while they're offering 0% financing. Seriously, we got the van for something like $15k off MSRP brand new, because it was a '17 in June of 2018.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/19 1:55 p.m.
mtn said:
bobzilla said:
mtn said:

Barring a wreck (don't say that!), the van stays for at least 10 years. But I'd probably do what we did with the van - look for a leftover MY and lowball the hell out of the dealer while they're offering 0% financing. Seriously, we got the van for something like $15k off MSRP brand new, because it was a '17 in June of 2018.

NICE! We'll probably go that route when she's ready to either retire or move to a school closer. Until then we'll keep buying sub-$8k cars and run them in the ground, rinse and repeat. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/3/19 2:08 p.m.

Future Mrs. Racetruck commented on these the other day. Assuming Korean car depreciation I think one of these will be replacing her Grand Cherokee in a year or two.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/3/19 2:55 p.m.

Like the Stinger and G70, this is another serious step forward For Huyndai-Kia. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/3/19 3:31 p.m.

I will say, their advertising department did right with that ad where its just one of these ripping around a muddy field with a roaring V8 soundtrack

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/19 4:05 p.m.

They looked like smashed escalades to me. But with Kia depreciation being what it generally is, I should be able to get one for challenge money in like two weeks. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
6/3/19 5:49 p.m.

I doubt you will see someone ripping around a muddy field like in the commercial. Maybe a muddy soccer field parking lot or driveway. Hey one can dream wink

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/19 6:12 p.m.
dxman92 said:

I doubt you will see someone ripping around a muddy field like in the commercial. Maybe a muddy soccer field parking lot or driveway. Hey one can dream wink

never underestimate the power of a we finance anyone attitude and a healthy meth habit. 

Jordan Rimpela
6/3/19 6:35 p.m.
Mndsm said:
dxman92 said:

never underestimate the power of a we finance anyone attitude and a healthy meth habit. 

A Borrego maybe, but a Telluride? 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/3/19 6:35 p.m.
nderwater said:

The new Genesis sedans are gorgeous. I haven't done a lot of reearch but doesn't the G70 come with a manual in one of the lower trims? The colors offered on those cars is appealing too. 

This SUV is excellent as well. I enjoy the looks but that price would have me turning to the Pilot or Passport from Honda if buying new. Used - this thing will kill Honda in pricing. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
6/3/19 9:08 p.m.

When i first saw pics of the Telluride I said they probably should have done something more akin to the VW Atlas. That was when i thought it was RWD again. Turns out it IS more like the Atlas. Atlas is doing really well and this probably will too as long as the pricing is right. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/19 9:49 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
Mndsm said:
dxman92 said:

A Borrego maybe, but a Telluride? 

Kia will finance about anyone..... and large vehicles tend to be popular with that type of crowd. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/19 9:51 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
nderwater said:

The new Genesis sedans are gorgeous. I haven't done a lot of reearch but doesn't the G70 come with a manual in one of the lower trims? The colors offered on those cars is appealing too. 

This SUV is excellent as well. I enjoy the looks but that price would have me turning to the Pilot or Passport from Honda if buying new. Used - this thing will kill Honda in pricing. 

you can get a base g70 4 banger with a manual. Color me interested. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fmcYo8pFNRQm062feewiiJ8b9TfSemjDQk3bFmeyUE3fKpQ8lqOMMtc9fyuB6ipx