Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/26/20 11:18 a.m.
feature_image

Sometimes, it can be hard to nail down the demographic meant to buy a particular car, but that's not the case for the Nissan Kicks. How do we know this? Nissan tells us who they are selling to in the first sentence of the press kit: "The Nissan Kicks compact SUV is designed to fit the needs of singles or …

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/27/20 9:54 a.m.

The Nissan kicks was kind of a backwards step from the Juke. Ditch the peppier engine for one that is barely more powerful and has only a modest fuel mileage gain, and then toss the AWD option entirely. And while the styling is more palatable to most than the Juke, it isn't exactly a neck-turner either.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/20 10:03 a.m.

well, let's be honest, how many people needed the awd in the Juke?  With today's amazing traction control systems, you need to be in some really deep snow for AWD to make a difference.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/27/20 10:53 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

That's true. but like here in CNY, people have to have AWD. It's a mindset. That's why every third car around here is a Subaru. So, at least in my area, a lot of people wouldn't even consider it just because of the lack of AWD, even if they could get along fine with FWD and good tires. Not saying its a good thing, but that's just how it is, and it seems like Nissan is kind of shooting themselves in the foot.

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/20 11:10 a.m.

Not at all a Juke replacement, it's down 54% on power (188 vs 122) plus the aforementioned AWD option.

It's a Versa Note replacement. Same platform. Roomy hatch with SUV-esque looks.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/27/20 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away [FS] :

Nissan themselves billed the Kicks as the replacement for the Juke though.

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yes I agree, I'm saying that calling it a juke replacement was a marketing gimmick and it's actually a Note with butch styling

Median
Median New Reader
10/27/20 11:18 a.m.

Europe did get a new Juke.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/27/20 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away [FS] :

Ah, that makes sense — this should be way more appealing and competitive in the market than the Versa was.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/20 8:12 p.m.

The difference between the Juke and Kicks is that people will buy the Kicks. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/27/20 9:19 p.m.

CVT....

no

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/27/20 10:33 p.m.

Plain car is plain

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
10/28/20 5:50 a.m.

I had one of these for two weeks as a rental while my car was getting fixed (see my thread from mid August about getting hit by a cop...)

Honestly, I liked it.

Good mpg, decent storage space, was a good vehicle for daily driving.

One thing that I discovered on this car, not mentioned above, but a neat little detail was a cell holder.

So you can see on the interior image the touch screen stereo

Well, at the top of it, on the backside, there is a U shaped channel built into the dash that holds a phone very stable while driving. Made it really easy if I was using my phone as GPS

Maybe they didnt mean it for that, maybe they did. I just know it fit my Galaxy S10 in otterbox case PERFECTLY in vertical or horizontal stance

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/28/20 8:12 a.m.

I'll give them credit for the two tone paint job and the dashboard isn't terrible, but otherwise it doesn't do anything for me.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
10/28/20 12:51 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

well, let's be honest, how many people needed the awd in the Juke?  With today's amazing traction control systems, you need to be in some really deep snow for AWD to make a difference.  

It doesn't help that the Jurke had a terrible all wheel drive set up. So you never got to go have fun with your Puke, you only used the all wheel drive system to get started from a stop sign on ice. A pretty big penalty for having all wheel drive. 

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
10/28/20 12:53 p.m.

Oh thank goodness! A new SUV/Crossover! I was starting to worry that market was a bit underserved.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
10/29/20 1:11 a.m.

This has more cargo space than Versa Note with seats up but Versa Note has more cargo space with seats down.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48crReQCj59aimNUdC9WnRyg0uuprqUtqkm0SYqK3m4oJAnpZT0BHYNFncvyotjt