1 2
Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/14/19 8:41 p.m.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...?

"more than" 700hp, 7sp DCT trans...

No weight, or price announced.

C&D 2020 Mustang GT500

​​​​​​​

No Time
No Time Dork
1/14/19 8:52 p.m.

I’ll save everyone some time:

It costs too much!

what, no manual?

Its too heavy!

the visibility is poor!

Now that those are out of the way, feel

free to discussdevil

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/14/19 8:58 p.m.
Rodan said:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...?​​​​

Well, the story just came out today.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/14/19 9:34 p.m.

I wonder why the Basking Shark front end?

Top speed limited not by ecu, but by the gulping front end.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 9:45 p.m.

It looks like the new Camaro. You know, the one that dropped 30% in sales and needed an emergency fascia redesign. 

Also disappointed that it's not a V6TT like the GT. SVT has been doing the blower Mustang game since 2003, it's time to maybe change it up a bit? 

I'm not sure this will sell well. It's too ugly for nostalgic collectors (unlike the original S197 GT500), it's worse at the track than the GT350R, it's less intimidating than a Hellcat/Redeye/ScatPack/SRT/392/TA/RT mobile, and it's not really featuring anything much new. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/14/19 9:49 p.m.

I like it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/14/19 9:49 p.m.

Bad. Ass. 

The basking shark front end is because it needs lots of air to wash down the souls and anguish that it runs on. I think it looks great - modern and fast. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/19 10:42 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Because it works. Its what the 500 is known for. Change for the sake of change leaves me suspect.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/15/19 4:09 a.m.
dculberson said:

The basking shark front end is because it needs lots of air to wash down the souls and anguish that it runs on.

That's probably what the designers want people to think on first glance, but then you look closely and see that a huge part of that giant gaping maw is a solid bumper, and even a bunch of the stuff that you'd think is open grille is actually closed off and won't pass any air and that just seems disingenuous:

I'm not mad about the car. It seems like a Hellcat with some pretense of turning capability.

Cosmetically, I'd like to see a photoshop of it with the gloss black bumper that runs through the grille painted to match the body. It would make it look more like the rest of the Mustangs out there, and they're obviously trying to separate this car from the more pedestrian trims but I think they've gone a bit too non-traditional and made it look worse than the other trims which are generally pretty good looking . They went with black to make it look ferocious, but I think it just looks like a Nissan GT-R front end, which has never been accused of being handsome. If I had one (which I never will), I think I'd paint that for a more traditional appearance.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/19 5:37 a.m.
dculberson said:

Bad. Ass. 

The basking shark front end is because it needs lots of air to wash down the souls and anguish that it runs on. I think it looks great - modern and fast. 

Or random pedestrians. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/15/19 6:01 a.m.

Mmm Cars N Coffee Pedestrians.....

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/15/19 6:06 a.m.

If I had 80k plus to spend the wife wouldn’t let me buy that, it’d be another Suburban.

Plus Ford’s track record on dct’s ain’t great....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/15/19 6:25 a.m.

I like the look. I wonder how much front tire they're fitting under the new wider fenders? Dodge showed that with enough tire and enough power you can make a car fairly quick around the twisty bits. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/15/19 6:28 a.m.

At first I was mad because no manual gearbox. Then I remembered that 90% of these will be bought by collectors and kept in climate controlled garages and only driven to C&C shows. So the DCT is actually a practical choice.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/15/19 6:41 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I think certain people decided the automatic Hellcat was better at doing long rolling burnouts. Might be similar logic going on here.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/15/19 7:04 a.m.

Yup, this is how jaded the average auto enthusiast has become.  We're not celebrating a 700+ hp Mustang from the factory, with full warranty, that could easily be a 200K miles daily driver for the next 10-15 years.  Nor are we celebrating what is possibly the last heroic death throws for the internal combustion engine.  Nope, instead we're bitching because it's only being sold with two pedals, which even if there was a choice, is how 99.9% of them would be sold anyway.  

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
1/15/19 7:54 a.m.

Love the looks.  Out of my price range, but man that would be fun to whip on.  

I am nostalgic for manual trans cars, and would be totally smitten with a "lowly" naturally aspirated GT350 instead with a proper manual, but with the silly power available in the supercharged GT500 even I can admit a dual clutch and flappy paddles is likely the better choice for this car.  I love that it looks so track capable and not just a drag strip tailored machine.  

This new era of turn key warranteed cars we're living in is truly amazing.    

Hnnnnnnnnnnggg. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/15/19 8:09 a.m.

A couple of pics from the show yesterday

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/15/19 8:25 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Yup, this is how jaded the average auto enthusiast has become.  We're not celebrating a 700+ hp Mustang from the factory, with full warranty, that could easily be a 200K miles daily driver for the next 10-15 years.  Nor are we celebrating what is possibly the last heroic death throws for the internal combustion engine.  Nope, instead we're bitching because it's only being sold with two pedals, which even if there was a choice, is how 99.9% of them would be sold anyway.  

Its not that automotive enthusiasts are jaded. Put an automotive enthusiast in one and they will love it. Its that this is the internet. We are compelled to pick things apart so we can feel superior. Ive driven a gt500 with about 200 less horsepower than this, and believe me, you are better off with both hands on the wheel. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/19 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

In typical GRM fashion. Picking apart an OEM fun car with gobs of power and an actual warranty. Manufactures are making fun cars that are not practical in any sense along with the most practical cars you can buy. Yet, here we pick apart and complain about them all. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/19 8:39 a.m.

BTW, the car is berkeleying awesome. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/15/19 8:59 a.m.

I'm not usually one for gray cars, but that one on the stand in the picture above looks pretty nice.

The current Mustang that really interests me is the Bullitt version - not because of the whole Steve McQueen stuff, but for its looks and performance.  I think 480hp is enough for me.  smiley

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/15/19 9:09 a.m.

Nice Fiesta ST front end.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/15/19 10:15 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Typical GRM whining.  I love the automotive era we’re in personally.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/15/19 10:18 a.m.
Javelin said:

I'm not sure this will sell well. It's too ugly for nostalgic collectors (unlike the original S197 GT500), it's worse at the track than the GT350R, it's less intimidating than a Hellcat/Redeye/ScatPack/SRT/392/TA/RT mobile, and it's not really featuring anything much new. 

Nostalgic collectors will get off their high horse for 700hp. 

How can we claim that it's worse at the track than the GT350R? It's got most of the same stuff slapped on, with another 200+ horsepower and a transmission that should make it easier to boogie. 

Less intimidating that than the Dodge stuff? In what way? That those cars are drag machines, and the GT500 can actually turn? 

I dunno, a unique body and blower on top are new stuff.

I think they'll sell as many as they can make.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mGU0iiC80ti0ilfm9cAY9BTqX2viDvpQQ6RgxPEzXlE0tY5eitb2X2pgPHimSHuk