1 ... 7 8 9
MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
5/23/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

While I would rather have the new Supra, or any performance car for that matter, with a manual. I totally understand Toyotas decision to debut the Supra with the ZF 8 speed. We all know that the take rate on manuals is dropping significantly, especially as you move up in price point. For a car that almost didn't get made it's no surprise that Toyota played it safe and went with the automatic. Reviews have been pretty positive about the Supra specific programming as well. Since the Z4 can be spec'd with a six speed, most  journalists are anticipating an additional version of the Supra with a manual option. I hope that Toyota does decide to offer it at some point because it would really be a compelling option for a modern enthusiast car.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/23/19 8:37 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Funny Toyota....  your other sporty car sells lot of manuals

https://jalopnik.com/u-s-buyers-still-overwhelmingly-choose-a-manual-for-th-1834945061/amp

But keep telling how awesome that torque converter is.....  I’m sure F1 will be using torque converters soon and we’ll see them at LeMans soon.

Auto makers, making what they want instead of what the customer wants and then blaming the customer for it....  a recipe for success.

And then Genesis offers the new G70 with a manual and a bunch of other goodies and sells maybe 100/quarter

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/23/19 10:21 a.m.

Yeah, I think the price point difference makes FRS sales a poor predictor of what Supra customers want.  Not the same target market. That's like saying supercar customers want a cheap rattly interior in the GT because it sells so well in the Mustang.... 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/3/19 12:03 p.m.
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/3/19 12:35 p.m.

Isn't that the one that blew up and burned spectacularly on it's first public outing?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/3/19 1:12 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Isn't that the one that blew up and burned spectacularly on it's first public outing?

No, it's a different one. The first one was built by Daigo Saito's Fat Five Racing. And that one didn't really blow up the engine, or burn to the ground either. There was a small fire underneath.

Error404
Error404 New Reader
7/4/19 8:57 p.m.

It looks enough like a Z4 that I won't really be able to see it as anything else. Possibly because it basically is.

Push button start. Covers on everything. Lots of electronics to expensively fail.

Yea... I am not the target audience for this by a long shot but I also have no desire to be in that audience.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 10:42 a.m.
Error404 said:

Push button start.

Most cars have pushbutton start these days.

my '13 135, my '15 BRZ, my current '18 Mazda 3, my girlfriends '16 Honda Fit............all pushbutton start. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 10:52 a.m.
jj said:

YouTube “Jackie Ding”. To see one of these at 10/10ths on a road course.  If I remember right it did a 1:19 at TMP on stock tires. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
8/16/19 12:08 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

https://jalopnik.com/u-s-buyers-still-overwhelmingly-choose-a-manual-for-th-1834945061/amp

But keep telling how awesome that torque converter is.....  I’m sure F1 will be using torque converters soon and we’ll see them at LeMans soon.

Auto makers, making what they want instead of what the customer wants and then blaming the customer for it....  a recipe for success.

chaparral used torque converters successfully back in the day.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 2:53 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
AnthonyGS said:

chaparral used torque converters successfully back in the day.

I don't understand the torque converter/DCT argument. If you can make the ZF 8spd, perform like a BMW/VAG DCT, who cares what the exact technology is? It could be 87 hamsters in there running a pulley system, if it's just as fast, predictable, and reliable............I don't see the problem. 

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wLaWz303KmWGXutVFeYXwEgRgBjQ78zVj5TLSIyRSqaLxKZ7U8igI6xjJV2KoIBx