Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/1/20 1:10 p.m.
feature_image

Even though the 2021 Volkswagen Golf GTI on the horizon, the 2020 version is still a staple of our scene.

Read the rest of the story

Error404
Error404 Reader
5/2/20 9:52 a.m.

Still 2 many doors, c'mon VW

OzarkOwen
OzarkOwen New Reader
5/2/20 5:14 p.m.

I’ve been looking for a two door manual trans, and none anywhere near me. My wife has an Odyssey and I do not need another four door hauling vehicle. I much prefer the look of the two door GTI. I believe 2017 was the last year. Of the four doors I have found most are dsg, and quite a few do not have a clean Carfax.  Hummm...

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/2/20 8:23 p.m.

That last year before the really ugly 2021.......

Happy I bought mine in 2018 when they were giving out that monster warranty (6/72k). Going back to that warranty would be a bigger "upgrade" than the extra 10-15 horses the incoming model has to go with it ugly looks. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/20 8:44 a.m.

Mine has been excellent!   Awful OEM wheels, like in the picture above, have been regulated to winter tire use.  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/3/20 9:38 a.m.

I hear all of the complaining about the demise of the 2 door GTI, but sentiment didn’t equate to new car sales of that variant.  The 4 door outsold the 2 door by a 5 to 1 ratio in our market, therefore the decision by VW.  Nothing more than that.

Error404
Error404 Reader
5/3/20 12:30 p.m.

My comment is based off ownership of a proper, 2-door GTI. I love it but, if I had to by a new car, I don't think it would be a GTI. Similar to how the C7 'Vettes or recent Civic's look like you could shave with the body panels, VW bulked up the GTI and went with the aggressive styling around the same time that they decided to save money by closing the 2-door production line. I'm partial to the older body styles of GTI, before they tried to up-class them, and that's probably where they lost me. Besides, wasn't 4-door small-family car the territory for the Jetta? I'm not a fan. YMMV.

Also worth noting is that I am not a fan of touchscreens in cars, infotainment centers, push-start, and e-everything but that's a whole 'nother thang that I worry will leave me deeply unsatisfied when I finally have to buy a new car. (new to me, not necessarily new new)

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/3/20 5:48 p.m.

I didn't realize the starting price for a GTI was so high. surprise

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
5/3/20 8:21 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

I hear all of the complaining about the demise of the 2 door GTI, but sentiment didn’t equate to new car sales of that variant.  The 4 door outsold the 2 door by a 5 to 1 ratio in our market, therefore the decision by VW.  Nothing more than that.

Yep, that's it. We are a different crowd on this forum. "Regular" people on the outside don't even want cars anymore let alone a 2 door. Same thing can be applied to manual transmissions.........as has been discussed many times here before.

5/3/20 8:36 p.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

Mine has been excellent!   Awful OEM wheels, like in the picture above, have been regulated to winter tire use.  

VW should just break out the mold from the CC wheels and put them on the next one - not like those wheels are being used by anything else now. I've probably gotten about 20 complements from people about mine, and those aren't even V-dub people, just random people like neighbors and coworkers. They look "correct" like they should have been stock for the car, IMO. Most people don't realize these didn't come with my car, they just assume it's one of the OEM packages. 

On second thought, don't. I like everyone else having ugly stock wheels lol. (I sold mine wiht 10 miles on them, the day after I bought the car....)

2018 GTI: Initial Thoughts After a Week| Grassroots Motorsports ...

5/3/20 8:39 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

No complaints here. I had several coupes in a row (Integra, Accord) and for a daily driver I much prefer 4 doors  (and for my rally cars, for similar reasons). Otherwise the back seat just becomes someplace where random junk lives because it's too much of a hassle to clean it out, and no adult friends actually want to get back there.. I guess it must be a looks thing, because there is nothing functionally good about a 2-door car with real back seats...

Now, for real sportscars with no intent of any humans in the back seat, 2-door is the obvious choice (i.e. my 924)

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/20 9:15 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

And then we have hyundai with the velosters 3 door set up.  you have the 2 door looks on one side with the 4 door usefulness on the other.

5/3/20 9:24 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

And then we have hyundai with the velosters 3 door set up.  you have the 2 door looks on one side with the 4 door usefulness on the other.

It's like the mullet of cars - business on the right, party on the left. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QkY56HHTAyOLHdnXYeslDXjtrKwPAY2VKCVeyy2g4ni0YayrXsaXResYMcArhX2t