1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/22/20 8:13 a.m.
feature_image

The Veloster may have been a three-door oddball when it showed up in 2011, but it truly came out swinging when the second-generation model made its debut in 2018.

It got better, though, as Hyundai announced its N performance division, partly influenced by the ex-BMW M division head Albert Biermann, who was appointed as the head of R&D for Hyundai and Kia.

The …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/22/20 9:11 a.m.

I'd like to have those seats in my Porsche yes

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/22/20 9:26 a.m.

They need to put this powertrain in the r-spec body.

Wonder how the DCT will hold up.  Does it carry the full track-use warranty that the 6speed does?  That would be impressive.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/22/20 9:33 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Wonder how the DCT will hold up. 

That's what I'm eager to learn as well, mostly because the DCT-equipped N shot to the top of my "Which car would I pick if I had the means to replace my daily today?" list.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/22/20 9:59 a.m.

Finally, someone else posted. I couldn't be the first..... again. I'd take it in whatever color/trans I could get my hands on.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
12/22/20 12:20 p.m.

I've always said this car is one awd setup away from domination. Imagine, a wrx with 100k warranty?

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/22/20 12:59 p.m.

Is there a test anywhere yet with the DCT?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/22/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/veloster-n

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/22/20 1:23 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Thanks.  The main portion of that page doesn't have the DCT test info, but following one of the links on the page gets you there...

C&D Veloster N DCT test

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/22/20 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

From that article: "As a bonus, the automatic Veloster N gains an overboost feature called N Grin Shift, which engages the car's raciest drivetrain setting and increases the engine's torque output from 260 to 278 pound-feet for 20 seconds."

N Grin Shift. Dude, these guys are awesome.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/22/20 7:05 p.m.

Worth noting that this was Car and Driver's quickest FWD car (0-60) that they've ever tested at 4.8 seconds. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/22/20 7:08 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:

Worth noting that this was Car and Driver's quickest FWD car (0-60) that they've ever tested at 4.8 seconds. 

I was wondering how many stock FWD cars have ever been faster than this.  What is the fastest 1/4 mile C&D has recorded from FWD?  I would have guessed Type R, but it ran .1 slower

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/20 8:10 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
goingnowherefast said:

I was wondering how many stock FWD cars have ever been faster than this.  What is the fastest 1/4 mile C&D has recorded from FWD?  I would have guessed Type R, but it ran .1 slower

this has to be the fastest thing an actual magazine has gotten their hands on...

The only true production car i can thnk of faster than this is the Renault Megane Trohpy... at 72k GBP   aka $96k 

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/22/20 8:47 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:
goingnowherefast said:

this has to be the fastest thing an actual magazine has gotten their hands on...

The only true production car i can thnk of faster than this is the Renault Megane Trohpy... at 72k GBP   aka $96k 

Probably, but not *that* magazine. Since C&D primarily does US only stuff. That 96K car is probably faster to 60 than the $32K Veloster N and that's why it's really impressive for the veloster to even be in the running.  

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/23/20 6:43 a.m.

The new seats look really nice too. Too bad they brought the heated seat and steering wheel option to Canada but not to the US, definitely drops this a rung or two on my list.  In the article it says the DCT adds almost 100 lb, pass. I really want to drive one of these at some point, seems like it would be a fun daily but it's a little hard for me to wrap my head around a fun front wheel drive car.  Grew up with bad GM / Ford FWD sedans, moved on to RWD stuff and haven't looked back.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/23/20 8:19 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

They need to put this powertrain in the r-spec body.

Wonder how the DCT will hold up.  Does it carry the full track-use warranty that the 6speed does?  That would be impressive.

The DCT they put in these is the new, stronger wet clutch version, not the older dry clutch one they put in the N-Line and Kia Forte GT. Hopefully this trickles down into the lesser models later on.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/23/20 10:48 a.m.
turtl631 said:

Too bad they brought the heated seat and steering wheel option to Canada but not to the US, definitely drops this a rung or two on my list.  

Not giving it heated seats in the US is really dumb.  

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/23/20 11:54 a.m.

We have track times and data for both the Veloster N and Civic Type R. Videos drop soon.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/23/20 12:05 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

We have track times and data for both the Veloster N and Civic Type R. Videos drop soon.

Not soon... now! C'mon your resident Hyundai Humper wants to be disappointed again

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/23/20 12:14 p.m.
bobzilla said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Not soon... now! C'mon your resident Hyundai Humper wants to be disappointed again

Dont say that! Youre gonna jinx it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/23/20 12:17 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

I mean, the Hype R has more power so it should be faster.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/20 1:31 p.m.

I had a chance to drive a top-spec N, and ride along with the owner...a 2-time SCCA Solo Nats winner. I can say that the car can do more than I could handle and I loved all the tech it offered. Compared to the FiST, the interior is on another level, the features are off the chart, and it sure does move. I think the FiST was more connected and had better sightlines, but I would never get tired of listening to the exhaust...so fun. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/24/20 8:06 a.m.

No seriously... where is the video????

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/24/20 9:32 a.m.
Rodan said:
turtl631 said:

Too bad they brought the heated seat and steering wheel option to Canada but not to the US, definitely drops this a rung or two on my list.  

Not giving it heated seats in the US is really dumb.  

Agreed. I look at heated seats and steering wheel like air conditioning.  It's mandatory.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/24/20 9:35 a.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Agreed. I look at heated seats and steering wheel like air conditioning.  It's mandatory.  

I guess this just highlights how out of touch I am with reality.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ij755SJzab0QPn0Q5lFM90vf47vp9Yz4FiU6MNxfI1USPkRTTV7XwQoifR5fpFji