Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/4/21 11:36 a.m.
feature_image

Ever since the introduction of the R35-chassis GT-R, the GT-R and Skyline became distinct models that no longer shared a common chassis. What does this have to do with the Q50? Even though the GT-R is the one sold here in North America, you can technically say that the Skyline is also available. We just call it the Infiniti Q50.

Don't believe …

Read the rest of the story

calteg
calteg Dork
1/4/21 2:16 p.m.

I seem to remember the Red Sport models having astronomical insurance bills. Apparently the key FOB was really easy to clone and they were stolen all of the time. No idea if/when they corrected this.  

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
1/6/21 9:10 a.m.

I want to say that when these debuted there was at least one "traditional" car mag that panned it in comparison to their perennial favorite, some sort of 3-series.  I've been a little leery of their opinions for more than a decade now so I'd be interested to hear more from GRM on this one as the Infiniti stuff seems like a better bet on the used market.

Also, did these ever ship with a manual?

rothwem
rothwem Reader
1/6/21 9:16 a.m.

I think when they debuted, they had a silly steering by wire that lacked a physical connection to the wheels and made it super spooky to drive anywhere close to the limit.  I would hope that they either drastically improved it or ditched it by now, it was so universally panned.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/6/21 9:54 a.m.

This is one of those cars that I am shocked is still around, but I'm glad it is still around. Like David said, the base car has been around since 2014. It's one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of vehicles. These drive really nice in their base form, and the automatic trans does exactly what its supposed to do and doesn't hinder the driving experience. Slapping another 100hp on top just makes it better. Only thing these lag behind with is the infotainment setup. It feels like it's from the early 2010's, and having to fumble around with a slow touch screen interface to put the heat on is not something I like in any car.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
1/6/21 10:19 a.m.

I've started putting these on my radar as a replacement daily once commuting becomes a thing again. Glad to hear they are everything I had hoped.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
1/6/21 10:46 a.m.
rothwem said:

I think when they debuted, they had a silly steering by wire that lacked a physical connection to the wheels and made it super spooky to drive anywhere close to the limit.  I would hope that they either drastically improved it or ditched it by now, it was so universally panned.  

Yeah ok I remember now. I wanted to say the reviewer said it lacked "connection" or something of the sort so that makes sense.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/6/21 2:51 p.m.

So what's the price of this versus a gtr? And why couldn't one buy this as a poor man's gtr? And race it with gtr parts? 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/6/21 3:16 p.m.

I had a regular q50 for a rental car. I have been a nissan fan for a long time, but that q50 was SO NICE! Very tight, quick, very comfy. I have considered a used one if i needed a sporty sedan

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/6/21 5:47 p.m.

I came in here expecting a small CUV.

This has been out since 2014?! Is this what they used to call a G37?

Dootz
Dootz Reader
1/6/21 8:55 p.m.

Shame we never got the Eau Rouge concept into production

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/21 12:54 a.m.

The 'steer by wire' was first for a production car and did have a clutch in the system to physically attach you to the steering rack when needed.  I think its highly historically significant because everything will have that at some point, somewhere along the way to losing the steering wheel entirely.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/21 5:05 a.m.
Vajingo said:

So what's the price of this versus a gtr? And why couldn't one buy this as a poor man's gtr? And race it with gtr parts? 

I'm pretty sure the 2 cars don't share any parts.  The engine and trans are different for sure.  The chassis is different too.

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/21 6:52 a.m.
Matt B (fs) said:

Also, did these ever ship with a manual?

I know the G35 sedan was offered in a manual up to 2008. I think the G37 sedan was offered in a manual. I think they dropped the manual when they switched to the Q naming.

*I'm not an expert but I did a little research a few years ago before I bought my 2008 G35 manual sedan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XnOz6LxnKWMkaB7bL78jgpwIiMU8G7KxEB6GJqI7C6IoseXDFwEBVsKjEE7zAptg