Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/24/20 9:09 p.m.
feature_image

There might not be much worth celebrating this year, but Toyota is celebrating 20 years of its Prius in the United States (as it turns out, the Prius first went on sale in Japan back in 1997) with this, the 2020 Edition.

What’s so special about this special edition hybrid? For starters, only 2020 will be built, finished in your …

Read the rest of the story

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/24/20 9:16 p.m.

is "wheel inserts" the new way of saying "hubcaps," or are they something else?

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

It's sort of like the M-System wheels that came on the E34 M5, the earlier fan blades and later turbines. It is an alloy wheel behind there, I'm not sure what the reasoning is here (maybe weight savings?) but our 2010 Prius at work has a similar setup.

The original

Same wheel, different cover which was used on later M5's

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/20 11:16 p.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :

so it makes the wheel have a better aero profile i believe, but with lower weight.

or it may just be better looks and lower weight.

but i'd put money behind weight reduction of the wheel being the primary reason.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
11/25/20 8:22 a.m.

Just by the headline, I was expecting to see something like this as the "2020 Edition" Prius... Carry on. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/20 8:47 a.m.

That's actually a good picture showing how the wheels are setup, that car is identical to ours here. It's funny how the covers make the wheels look a size larger than they actually are.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
11/25/20 8:54 a.m.

The wheel trim pieces on older Priuses are certainly for aerodynamics.  They built the wheels for light weight, then added the clip on plastic bits to make the faces more aerodynamic and mate them up to the tires with less of a lip.  Building that into the wheel design would have most likely added too much weight, or reduced strength, or made the wheel itself too easy to damage. 

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
11/26/20 12:12 p.m.

Oh...be still my beating heart!

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/27/20 8:57 a.m.

I actually think that it looks very good in the red/black (vs standard treatment). When this generation of Prius came out I considered myself pretty interested, but other than the Prime (which has much worse taillights!!) that has waned. I allowed myself to get a little excited again when they announced the AWD version, but alas unlike the Highlander Hybrid I once owned, putting a rear diff in this car did not also result in 50 extra hp being present under WOT.  And that's really the rub. I've owned a high-13 second hybrid and a low-15 second hybrid that are now 15 year old designs. They gave you a giggle factor to go along with their efficiency gains. The Rav4 Prime currently carries that torch and I'm happy it exists, but the Prius has sort of lost me by never becoming not-slow. You CAN have both, and Toyota will give it to you in certain cars, but the fact that it never trickled down to the Prius even a little bit makes me sad. 

Vaguely-related. I picked up my old Prius from my father in law last night to bring in for repairs. At 326k miles, it finally broke. Based on the pattern of noises it has made over the past 40k miles or so, it seems like there is a brake pressure accumulator that the ABS motor keeps pumped up and that its been leaking down faster and faster causing the pump motor to run more and more until finally now it stopped trying, lit up ALL the lights, and has no power assist to the brakes. I barely know how the system works because apparently it works until after the rest of the car is in the junkyard, but this one isn't in a junkyard so i get to find out how it works now. 

How time flies.

I like the poverty hubcap look.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/29/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

It's like we've gone back to where we started. I'm also guessing that Toyota came up with the name and marketing campaign way before 2020 went off the rails. 

admc58
admc58 Reader
11/29/20 9:55 p.m.

My current daily is the "Not-a-Prius" Ford C-Max. It's quick to accelerate and quieter than the Prius of the same vintage. Though it gets a little lower MPG...but still WAY better than my van. 

I recently took it on a drive up the Tail-of-the-Dragon and did not hold anyone up... :) Brakes and turn-in are very good...Needs 5psi extra in the front tires... The 225 width tires help a lot but probably cut MPG. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1tSRkmYwaK229BrtXMUfVSRjW4GyKNHsU71ePYj17dbqXRE76xpZtWGQdW4Gm0AX