Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/13/19 5:23 p.m.

Hive mind! I could use some help. I have a 22re powered 1989 toyota truck that I’m trying to get running whilst I amass ls turbo parts for my swap and the engine wiring harness was destroyed long ago by a mixture of accident damage and stupidity. I have the harness largely repaired but cant seem to find a picture or wiring diagram that is of any use (the colors are wrong in every one I can find. I’ve searched tirelessly on the interweb to no avail. I need a picture of how the ignitor and coil are wired. The ignitor I have is from orileys and doesnt have the same colored wires as anything I can find for information. 

 

Thanks in advance for your assistance! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/13/19 5:24 p.m.
L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
8/13/19 5:34 p.m.

Not doubting anyone here but I'm on the Toyota truck forum linked below. Lots of wiring discussions and knowledge there specific to the 22RE.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/13/19 7:05 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

Not doubting anyone here but I'm on the Toyota truck forum linked below. Lots of wiring discussions and knowledge there specific to the 22RE.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/

Joined the forum but don’t yet have the authority to start a thread and there are none that pertain currently. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/13/19 7:43 p.m.

Have you considered buying a paper manual?

Even the Haynes ones have wiring diagrams.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/13/19 8:07 p.m.

I'm going with:

 

The 2 wires with the ring connectors:  The red one goes to coil +.  The other goes to coil -.

 

The 2 wires going to the round plug:  They go to the distributor pickup coil.  If the wire colors don't match what you have on the coil, just hook them up.  They will probably work fine, but if your timing changes with RPM unexpectedly, that is, if it advances too much as the RPM's go higher, or if you fix the internal advance mechanism and rev it and see the timing advance, then you have the wires backwards, switch them.

 

The wires going to the plug with 5 pins (mostly) go the the ECU.  Well, 3 of them go to the ECU.  The original Toyota wires should be black-red, black-white and black-yellow for the ECU.  There should be a black wire that goes to the tach and AC amplifier, and the remaining wire goes to chassis ground.  You can probably find the ground wire by checking the resistance of all the pins in that plug to a bare spot on the igniter.

Black-Yellow should be IGF. Black-White is probably IGT.


See if you can find a schematic for a 1990 4 runner or pickup.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/13/19 8:36 p.m.

This _might_ be the ecu pinout:

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/13/19 8:42 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Have you considered buying a paper manual?

Even the Haynes ones have wiring diagrams.

I have both haynes and chiltons, both have diagrams, neither have what i needed. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/13/19 8:45 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I'm going with:

 

The 2 wires with the ring connectors:  The red one goes to coil +.  The other goes to coil -.

 

The 2 wires going to the round plug:  They go to the distributor pickup coil.  If the wire colors don't match what you have on the coil, just hook them up.  They will probably work fine, but if your timing changes with RPM unexpectedly, that is, if it advances too much as the RPM's go higher, or if you fix the internal advance mechanism and rev it and see the timing advance, then you have the wires backwards, switch them.

 

The wires going to the plug with 5 pins (mostly) go the the ECU.  Well, 3 of them go to the ECU.  The original Toyota wires should be black-red, black-white and black-yellow for the ECU.  There should be a black wire that goes to the tach and AC amplifier, and the remaining wire goes to chassis ground.  You can probably find the ground wire by checking the resistance of all the pins in that plug to a bare spot on the igniter.

Black-Yellow should be IGF. Black-White is probably IGT.


See if you can find a schematic for a 1990 4 runner or pickup.

My ignitor has a brown and a black wire (both with ring terminals), then there is a black with a red stripe wire that is switched ignition power that has a filter deal (radio maybe) on it then switches to white after the filter. The rest go to a plug that is all sorted out. The ones im struggling with are the non plug ones. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/13/19 9:01 p.m.

The black wire with the ring terminal should go to coil negative.  The other wire with the ring terminal should go to coil +.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/13/19 9:10 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

The black wire with the ring terminal should go to coil negative.  The other wire with the ring terminal should go to coil +.

What about the one with the rf filter? 

 

Also, thank you So berking much, this has been kicking my ass and making me feel stupid. 

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
8/13/19 10:58 p.m.

I got better pics if you needs them.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/14/19 10:27 a.m.

Daryn,

   What year is that BGB?  And can you shoot a pic of the igniter section of that general schematic, and the ignition pages that show the igniter, and the plugs?  In particular that 6 pin (5 used) plug that comes from the igniter.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
8/14/19 11:56 a.m.

The book is from a 1990.  See if this helps.  

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/14/19 12:26 p.m.

If I remember tonight I'll take an underhood pic of my '94.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/14/19 3:32 p.m.

Can we get the next page of the ECU schematic?

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/14/19 7:12 p.m.

Don't know if these dirt encrusted pictures help but here's the coil and igniter on my '94 with a 22RE.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/14/19 7:15 p.m.

If we could get the wire colors going to that 6 position plug, that would be helpful.  Especially the harness side.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/14/19 7:17 p.m.
dclafleur said:

Don't know if these dirt encrusted pictures help but here's the coil and igniter on my '94 with a 22RE.

94 is different unfortunately. Iirc 89-91 are the same. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/14/19 7:19 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn said:

The book is from a 1990.  See if this helps.  

This is good! Tomorrow I’ll see if I can get spark! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/14/19 8:46 p.m.

If anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future, here’s a factory service manual site! 

https://ether3al.com/93fsm-mobile/engine.html

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/14/19 9:04 p.m.

So it's fixed already? If not i have alldata, identifix and a 93 22re truck (customer's) i can reference if you still need it. 

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
8/14/19 9:20 p.m.

I think this is what you want, I am not too acquainted with these repair books(thankfully), love my little truck, most dependable car.  

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/15/19 11:42 a.m.
Vigo said:

So it's fixed already? If not i have alldata, identifix and a 93 22re truck (customer's) i can reference if you still need it. 

Not yet, just sharing resources. Havent had a chance to sit down and trace it all. It was a complete disaster. Thanks man. 

Our Preferred Partners
zDKnabOJP4PGmc2ZsBcpZoEF6CzBLoypVjAJ52pRI1lRp0hreJnEISSxfjohmNb1