1 2
rob_mrl
rob_mrl New Reader
3/15/10 6:23 p.m.

getting serious about starting a 240z project, whats every one know about them as track cars? looking to build a vintage track car. any good photos to get the ideas flowing?

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/15/10 6:26 p.m.

BRE 240Z. I would say the iconic 240Z racing car.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/15/10 8:34 p.m.

Some of us on the East Coast could suggest an alternative..

rob_mrl
rob_mrl New Reader
3/15/10 8:55 p.m.

picture didnt wook

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/15/10 9:09 p.m.

Eh, it did when I posted it. Sombody somewhere is calling me a bandwidth thief. It was one of the old Bob Sharp IMSA Zs. (Paul Newman #33, Jim Fitzgerald #38)

http://www.zhome.com/History/sharp.htm

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/15/10 9:11 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Eh, it did when I posted it. Sombody somewhere is calling me a bandwidth thief. It was one of the old Bob Sharp IMSA Zs. (Paul Newman #33, Jim Fitzgerald #38) http://www.zhome.com/History/sharp.htm

EDIT: The BRE/BSR rivalry was the hot West Coast/East Coast one when the 240z was new.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
3/15/10 9:33 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Eh, it did when I posted it. Sombody somewhere is calling me a bandwidth thief. It was one of the old Bob Sharp IMSA Zs. (Paul Newman #33, Jim Fitzgerald #38) http://www.zhome.com/History/sharp.htm
EDIT: The BRE/BSR rivalry was the hot West Coast/East Coast one when the 240z was new.

Brad Friselle did a nice job of keeping BSR in check:

rwdsport
rwdsport New Reader
3/15/10 9:56 p.m.

Needs more tire

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/15/10 10:52 p.m.

Posing deep philosophy questions to other racers. Brilliant distraction technique!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
3/16/10 7:46 a.m.

I drove a friend's ITS 240Z for a while and it is still my favorite race car. I've driven tons of stuff from open wheel cars to Vipers, but there was something about the 240. You need good upper body strength though, it tended to get very heavy steering on fast sweepers, but some spring and shock tuning could have helped that. It wasn't my car so I couldn't exactly have changed everything. Still, the car was just magic on a road course. It was also fun to autorcross, but on a real road course is where it was most at home.

I am now restoring a '71 Z and it will see some type of track duty. In my opinion, it's hard to wrong with one.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
3/16/10 8:27 a.m.

I have always lusted after one. The biggest problem that I can see from the bench is that they have a crazy high drag coefficient, like 0.42 or something - way way worse than my turbo brick. Hard to believe, but that's one instance where swoopy sexiness doesn't translate into efficiency. Go to hybridz.org and search for their wind tunnel thread - they didn't believe it, either, and all pitched in to go test it for real. They tried a bunch of stuff to no avail. I think the main problem is that the rear window is at the wrong angle, maybe a spoiler on the roof (ugly, yes) could disrupt the laminar layer enough to make some headway, but it's always been a sticking point.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/16/10 8:35 a.m.
GI_Drewsifer wrote: Posing deep philosophy questions to other racers. Brilliant distraction technique!

one more example of how flares make everything awesomer!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
3/16/10 10:43 a.m.

What's it all mean? It means that if you're reading this, you haven't got past me yet.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
3/16/10 10:52 a.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: What's it all mean? It means that if you're reading this, you haven't got past me yet.

In 1976 it meant "Passing is futile; I own this series".

RossD
RossD Dork
3/16/10 11:08 a.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

I went and looked at a guy's 240z that was sorta prepared for the track yet sorta streetable, and he had a grant gt steering wheel installed. He broke one of the three spokes and had fixed it with a couple of plates and rivets. Heavy steering? No joke.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
3/16/10 1:47 p.m.

I've got one that has the back half of the Jim Cook imsa style flares on it. It needs floors and a bunch of bodywork stuff done. It's my track car project but I'd let it go cheap if you were so inclined.

It's a 1970 with the vertical defrost window too, so it'll be even faster on the track.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/16/10 9:13 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

Aw, man! I can't believe I forgot Friselle! But..did BRE ever do IMSA?

BTW: I found an old (1979) Auto World Motorsports catalog while going through some stuff after the move last year. On the cover is a Martini 935, Greenwood's "Spirit of Sebring" #75, one of Mo Carter's Camaros...and Brad's car.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
3/16/10 9:21 p.m.

I remember well that while I was involved with IMSA, '85-90, there was one '70 240z racing in GTU. It was supposed to be one of the original race cars built back in the day, had never seen a mile on the street. 15 years on the track had taken a bad toll on the car, but I still loved it for what it was and what it represented. I hope it has been restored by one that appreciates it.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
3/16/10 10:24 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: In reply to oldsaw: Aw, man! I can't believe I forgot Friselle! But..did BRE ever do IMSA? BTW: I found an old (1979) Auto World Motorsports catalog while going through some stuff after the move last year. On the cover is a Martini 935, Greenwood's "Spirit of Sebring" #75, one of Mo Carter's Camaros...and Brad's car.

I'm thinking BRE wasn't an IMSA contender. Maybe Devendorf was a protege of Brock and carried the torch?

Carter built some awesome Camaros; I have some great shots of the car in the horseshoe at the '76 24hr.

showa
showa New Reader
3/17/10 12:22 a.m.

For a wild ride, lookup Darius (sp?) on hybridz and youtube.... His Z is crazy...

I bought a 240Z that I am slowly getting street/ track ready... Currently have a 280Z motor in it but will eventually have a V8....

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
3/17/10 8:46 a.m.

In case the track isn't enough ...

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/17/10 10:09 a.m.

You should come to the Mitty and see the BRE cars in person...you know, for research.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
3/17/10 10:35 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: In case the track isn't enough ...

Now that was truly inspiring.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/17/10 10:57 a.m.

Valiant, that BRE, nose in the air, terrain flying...its enough to bring tears to a grown mans eyes. ITs good that the driver was most likely sporting a tri colored race jacket, cuz if he were wearing one of those wolves howling at the moon T-shirts, the awesomeness of that photo wouldve probably melted my corneas!

Thanks for saving my corneas BRE, its was your jacket that saved my sight!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/17/10 11:00 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: In case the track isn't enough ...

Roads? Where we're going, we dont need...roads!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G7OP4zlbG9OcTCH3WLb4LA4eYTEOjld8lbTusfedTqBFzlCfAmGOGnG2GHmgAjMD