noddaz Reader
June 1, 2012 9:27 p.m.

When I think of parking lot racing I think of the Miatas, S2000 and various Hondas and a few Subies that are parked all around me at the track..

Do any low buck Toyotas (FWD or RWD) do this reasonably well? On a Grassroots budget?

jrw1621 PowerDork
June 1, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Sample:

dj Reader
June 1, 2012 9:55 p.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
June 1, 2012 9:58 p.m.

00-01 Celica GTS?

EdenPrime Reader
June 1, 2012 10:01 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: 00-01 Celica GTS?

2003+ Celicas have revised manual transmissions. Gates are further apart and a bit more robust. The 7th Gen Celica has also won the NASA Showroom Stock C class two years running against Integras, Mazda 3s, Tiburons, Cobalts, RSXs.

corytate Dork
June 2, 2012 4:33 a.m.
dj wrote:

ohmylord!

oldeskewltoy HalfDork
June 2, 2012 12:48 p.m.

any 1980-1986 rwd Corolla....easy to mod... easy to make fast

I've got a friend here in Portland who has a garage full of ribboned metals of all the autocrosses he's won in his lightly modified AE86.

fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
June 2, 2012 12:55 p.m.

BoxheadTim UberDork
June 2, 2012 12:58 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

Depends on how grassroots the budget is, though, doesn't it? Unfortunately AE86s are getting a little expensive these. days. Not that I would mind having one in the garage...

oldeskewltoy HalfDork
June 2, 2012 6:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to oldeskewltoy: Depends on how grassroots the budget is, though, doesn't it? Unfortunately AE86s are getting a little expensive these. days. Not that I would mind having one in the garage...

The beauty of the 1980-1983 model E7 Corolla is there isn't too steep of a drifter tax on them, and they are almost identical under the outer sheetmetal, to an AE86.

For example... mine - I paid through the nose for my engine-less chassis ($1200), but I wanted THAT body.

You can pick any of the E7 Corollas up(except the wagons) and the chassis is almost identical to the AE86... that includes both the 2 door, AND 4 door sedans

GameboyRMH UberDork
June 2, 2012 7:24 p.m.

AE92s can be competitive with any of the best front-drivers, parts and aftermarket for things specific to it are scarce though.

Luckily they share a lot of parts with the AE101.

mad_machine MegaDork
June 2, 2012 8:21 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to oldeskewltoy: Depends on how grassroots the budget is, though, doesn't it? Unfortunately AE86s are getting a little expensive these. days. Not that I would mind having one in the garage...

The beauty of the 1980-1983 model E7 Corolla is there isn't too steep of a drifter tax on them, and they are almost identical under the outer sheetmetal, to an AE86.

For example... mine - I paid through the nose for my engine-less chassis ($1200), but I wanted THAT body.

You can pick any of the E7 Corollas up(except the wagons) and the chassis is almost identical to the AE86... that includes both the 2 door, AND 4 door sedans

Not that there is anything wrong with a corolla.. but the fact that the AE86 carries a premium over the almost identical E7 just goes to prove that the drifters are buying into the "image" over everything else

92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
June 2, 2012 8:24 p.m.

MR2, Corollas, Celicas.

Grtechguy PowerDork
June 2, 2012 8:49 p.m.

Maybe?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

1 hour ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

21 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

21 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

23 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

1 day ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

1 day ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

3 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

4 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

4 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
4yTUyz5FSKgHFMS87WxnpmepTH8azWyV