1 2 3 ... 7
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/17 7:54 a.m.

The 2018 GT will be 460hp and do 0-60 in under 4s when set to "drag strip mode." ALso, the Ecoboost does it under 5.

Jalopnik report

3.xx second 0-60? In a factory stock Mustang? As the article sort of said...it's a good time to be a gearhead... not long ago that was mclaren, lambo, and ferrari territory.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
7/25/17 8:11 a.m.
not long ago that was mclaren, lambo, and ferrari territory.

But it's still not going to be quite refined as those three are.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/17 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non:

well...yeah. $200,000 buys a lot of refinement. Not really the point...?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/25/17 8:36 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:

Did this comment just appear in GRM?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/25/17 8:38 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Why would it not? Is it not true?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/25/17 8:39 a.m.

That is pretty mind boggling.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/25/17 8:41 a.m.

It's the same 10 speed used in the bad boy Camaro's, isn't it?

That could possibly make me want an auto since 99% would be DD and maybe an occasional HPDE or AutoX.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/25/17 8:44 a.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to tuna55: Why would it not? Is it not true?

Not even a clue, I'll probably never see the inside of any of those.

It's strange because here we have a sub $40K vehicle performing like a $300K vehicle, and it's ridiculed for being "less refined"? I'm not even sure that's a thing.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/17 8:46 a.m.

So, 200k extra gets you a flat plane crank and 25k mile rebuild schedule?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/17 8:48 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

exactly. On a forum where a '91 CRX Si or a caged Miata are the yardstick for desirable vehicles.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/17 8:49 a.m.

on related notes, now I have to go price a supercharger kit for my poor anemic 325 horse 4.6L...

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/25/17 8:49 a.m.
Robbie wrote: So, 200k extra gets you a flat plane crank and 25k mile rebuild schedule?

Or a few extra $$$ gets you a Mustang with a flat plane crank, better noises and 4 seconds flat to 60 (which is probably down to shifting technique and tires, considering it's got a good bit more power than the new GT that's said to be faster).

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/25/17 8:52 a.m.

Why can't they do this with a 4 door? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Fusion has next-to-no sporting pretensions (even the Sport). Yes, there is the Focus ST and RS, but FWD and 6+ seconds 0-60. I guess I'm just picturing a 4 door Mustang GT and EB but it doesn't exist (in the US, I believe this would be a Falcon in other countries).

I wonder if this drops the price on Coyote Mustangs enough to justify a "weekend car"...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/25/17 9:27 a.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: Why can't they do this with a 4 door? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Fusion has next-to-no sporting pretensions (even the Sport). Yes, there is the Focus ST and RS, but FWD and 6+ seconds 0-60. I guess I'm just picturing a 4 door Mustang GT and EB but it doesn't exist (in the US, I believe this would be a Falcon in other countries). I wonder if this drops the price on Coyote Mustangs enough to justify a "weekend car"...

If Ford decides to play the "Let's stuff this awesome V8 in a four door sedan body" they're going to have to figure out how to do it better than GM did with the SS. That may not be trivial, does Ford even have a RWD sedan at all? GM started with a pretty good one and still couldn't make money on them.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/17 9:31 a.m.

What a time to be a car enthusiast.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/25/17 9:32 a.m.

And they'll have to do better than the Charger as well. And no, Ford doesn't currently have a RWD sedan platform in the US.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/25/17 9:36 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:

Maybe not as refined, but probably more robust and repairable when it does blow up from having fun. The exotic stuff seems to be made of porcelain and your fault if you break it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/25/17 9:41 a.m.

The thought just crossed my mind....One of these with a big aftermarket supercharger or twin turbo setup is going to be EPIC.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
7/25/17 9:45 a.m.

Now that is a spicy meatball!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
7/25/17 9:49 a.m.

But do we NEED a car like this?

(Tom Hnatiw)
spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
7/25/17 9:53 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: It's the same 10 speed used in the bad boy Camaro's, isn't it?

Hopefully between the two of them (Ford and Chevy), they will get it right.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/25/17 9:54 a.m.

"Need" vs "Want"

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/17 10:12 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
z31maniac wrote: It's the same 10 speed used in the bad boy Camaro's, isn't it?
Hopefully between the two of them (Ford and Chevy), they will get it right.

It better be "right" already. It's also going in F-150s and Silverados. Those are the high-volume cash cows, so Ford and Chevy REALLY don't want to screw them up.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
7/25/17 10:16 a.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: Why can't they do this with a 4 door? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Fusion has next-to-no sporting pretensions (even the Sport). Yes, there is the Focus ST and RS, but FWD and 6+ seconds 0-60. I guess I'm just picturing a 4 door Mustang GT and EB but it doesn't exist (in the US, I believe this would be a Falcon in other countries). I wonder if this drops the price on Coyote Mustangs enough to justify a "weekend car"...

The ecoboost Fusion sport does 0-60 in 5.1 and the quarter in 13.7

That seems decently sporting to me

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/25/17 10:18 a.m.

If lack of refinement bothers you in a Mustang, I suggest you stop dry humping the dash.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hfRBRZt3WVTQdG8cAxqh8sKGvYV0Y1UNwt26zKRPMQSDfcSWVkWppBwxmbQxnDB4