1 ... 5 6 7
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/17 9:43 p.m.
dculberson wrote: You can buy a brand spanking new base Mustang GT 5.0 from discount dealers for around $28k. You can easily pay over $28k for a Honda Accord. It's hard to find new Miatas for under $28k.

Interesting. Point made.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/29/17 6:29 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
dculberson wrote: You can buy a brand spanking new base Mustang GT 5.0 from discount dealers for around $28k. You can easily pay over $28k for a Honda Accord. It's hard to find new Miatas for under $28k.
Interesting. Point made.

All fords are available at a deep discount at dealers. I don't understand why they pick such high MSRP to scare away customers if they are able to discount them so heavily.

I paid 30,400 for my GT Performance Pack.

The basic quality of interiors has come a long way in the last 15 years.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/17 8:21 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Interesting. Point made.

And you can also lease a new base model Accord for $159/month.

It's all in what you want to pay.

That's why the constant whining from people that never visit a dealership or buy a new car is beyond annoying.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/29/17 8:37 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: That's why the constant whining from people that never visit a dealership or buy a new car is beyond annoying.

Especially when it seems to happen in every new-car thread on this board.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
7/29/17 10:10 a.m.

I'm a Ford fanboy, so it's easy for me to excuse any shortcomings in Ford's performance offerings.

However, it does seem like there's a segment of the population that would complain even if the new Mustang GT had 600 horsepower, a whale penis interior, and sold for twenty grand. Because Mustang.

You just can't please everyone, and that's OK.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/17 1:46 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
z31maniac wrote: That's why the constant whining from people that never visit a dealership or buy a new car is beyond annoying.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter goodly sir.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/17 2:08 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:

I know I've learned to ignore it. Some people are too cheap or can't afford a new car so they bash the idea every chance they get.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/29/17 9:38 p.m.

All this four door talk and nobody once demands this drivetrain in a wagon or a minivan? I leave for two months and you guys have totally lost the plot.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/17 9:42 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: All this four door talk and nobody once demands this drivetrain in a wagon or a minivan? I leave for two months and you guys have totally lost the plot.

we may be dreamers, but not pie in the sky. I doubt we will ever see wagons again aside from a few high end examples.

Knurled
7/30/17 8:57 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: All this four door talk and nobody once demands this drivetrain in a wagon or a minivan? I leave for two months and you guys have totally lost the plot.

Here's the problem. The modern minivan is the SUV. People's parents had minivans, gotta have an SUV, which best as I can figure is a minivan with less interior room but, hey, fashion over function. Anyway. You can get 400hp SUVs. I recall reading somewhere that Chrysler was putting the Hellcat engine in a Jeep because, fark, it bolts in and someone'll buy it so why not? It's not like people are buying 200s on purpose... (people whose credit is so bad they can't get approved for a Hyundai loan don't count)

Knurled
7/30/17 9:00 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
we may be dreamers, but not pie in the sky. I doubt we will ever see wagons again aside from a few high end examples.

You know something? Subaru was so awesome that for a few glorious years the ONLY way you could get an STi was in wagon form. Only way. If you wanted a sedan, you were stuck with a WRX with its crappy 5 speed and slow steering. Yes, the 5 speed is crappy, Subaru crutched it as much as possible with really long gear ratios but in the end it's weak and sad and breaks if you look at it funny even with the long gears.

But people bitched.

And then you could get a sedan STi. And, IIRC, it's now the ONLY way to get one.

Basically, people suck.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/30/17 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I'm still waiting for Chrysler to finally give in to their urges and make an SRT minivan. The Durango SRT8 means the urges are winning.

Knurled
7/30/17 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Grizz:

I just said that they are allegedly making a Hellcat-engined minivan. What more do you want.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/17 9:48 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to Grizz: I just said that they are allegedly making a Hellcat-engined minivan. What more do you want.

Hellcat Town and Country. Obviously

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/30/17 9:59 p.m.

I was actually thinking a supercharger on the pentastar but a hellcat would work too.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/17 11:12 p.m.

I miss the Magnum

I had an '05 RT. Great cruiser and made good sounds.

Hellcat Magnum... I like the sound of that

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/30/17 11:30 p.m.

The story of the death of the Magnum is a depressing one.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
7/31/17 6:34 a.m.

Yeah, the new Stang is gonna set the benchmark again for cheap speed. The Stang Team at Ford does that really well.

As far as the Stang, Camaro, Challenger comment. For DD comfort I would take the Challenger. Being a tall guy I had one as a rental on a road trip. Other than the lack of brakes I really, REALLY enjoyed that car. Easy to live with compared to the other two. Now, in the performance arena, it's another discussion, but we aren't always at the ragged edge.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/31/17 7:49 a.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to Grizz: I just said that they are allegedly making a Hellcat-engined minivan. What more do you want.

"Cut a bunch of metal and wedged one in there" isn't exactly the same as making. Don't get me wrong, I love that manufacturers do that for fun, the Jeeps they build every year are one of the coolest manufacturer traditions around. And honestly, I can significantly rebut myself with the Trailcat Grand Cherokee. It's not a van or a wagon, but it's close enough in an anime/cartoon way to count. 700hp forgives a lot of sins.
Maybe Ford can build us a new Super Van? Does the Coyote fit in the Transit?

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tq2S47ZbigSW1ozWD1jR5cqnGpdvwSXiDF4zkaOkwLcgHNcyV6TBEbrVC4ykL8Yg