1 2 3 4 5
Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/21/17 2:32 p.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Same basic concept but totally different (MUCH better) engine. Instead of being effectively a classic SBC with two cylinders lopped off, it's basically a new-LT (Gen V) V8 with two cylinders lopped off.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/21/17 2:36 p.m.

The old 4.3 was based off of the old SBC. The new (2014+) 4.3 is based off of the LSx engines. Or at least that's what I gathered from the 2 minutes of Wikipedia page surfing.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
6/21/17 2:38 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
Driven5 wrote: GM has both a 3.6 DOHC and a 4.3 OHV. The former is in everything but the trucks, the latter is exclusively in the trucks.
I had a 4.3 in a Safari van from the 90's, is that the same engine? Does it make 300 hp? Oh, and isn't it cast iron block?

No, the old 4.3 was a cast iron turd that was 3/4 of an old-school Gen-1 350. The new 4.3 is pretty much the current Gen-V small block with 2 cylinders chopped off in much the same way.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/21/17 2:44 p.m.

Here's the Wiki page on the Dodge 3.6L VVT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Pentastar_engine

I never could find exterior dimensions

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/21/17 3:05 p.m.

300 hp is not bad for a DD at all. Moar better in a lighweight chassis for fun factor.

E36 M3, the '05 S197 4.6L V8 is rated 300 factory as well as the '09 E92 I-6 3L.

These new 3-something liter V-6's are like the small blocks of old.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/21/17 8:05 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: These new 3-something liter V-6's are like the small blocks of old.

That's kinda what I was thinking just as soon as we figure out a way to transplant them, of course that all depends upon if they have any inherent design weaknesses like oiling or weak rods, etc. etc.

Hmm, when I quoted this post I see other posts that don't show up in the feed. Wonder what that's all about.

What I see is posts by Ross D and Driven 5 telling me more about the 4.3 being really a 6 cylinder LS engine which would make that a very nice option. Aren't there emus & harnesses for all of those engines from the factory?

Which brings up the question about physical sizes and weight differences between the 4.3 an GM's other 300 hp V6.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
6/21/17 9:57 p.m.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a 4.3l v6 ls, I wonder if the cranks are garbage like the old vortec ones were (at least the evenfire ones). I wanna hear stories of people making 700 wheel on stock internals with these.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/21/17 10:12 p.m.

What about the Honda J series to Miata swap? Been covered well in the magazine.

The hard part (in my opinion) is getting the electronics to work, and there are kits available, complete with all the adaptors, I think even the front subframe.

I've had a couple of Odyssey vans, and they're pretty quick for the size.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/17 6:02 a.m.
Vigo wrote: I came up on cars in the 90's and even though there were plenty of powerful v8 cars around, i was looking at the technology and wondering why we didn't already have 300hp v6s. To me, that was a sweet spot that would make most cars fast with good economy.

Because if you want power, you're supposed to buy the V8 version. The lesser engines just have to be made good enough to not actively turn people away.

So the theory goes. I don't know if this shaped or was shaped by what seems to be the common (in the US anyway) mindset that lower models/smaller displacement are supposed to be piles of crap.

Heck, this happened internally too. Chevy's 3100/3400 were deliberately restricted by awful exhaust manifolds so that they wouldn't make the same power as the 3800. It certainly wasn't for space reasons since the 3800 was a much wider engine and they put it in a lot of the same engine bays as the "premium" engine option. The 60 degree had much MUCH better chambers and ports, and log manifolds you couldn't wiggle your thumb in. The 3800 had... a balance shaft on some models, and headers. They didn't allow the 60 degree to shine until the 3800 was killed off, but then the new problem was the 3.6 DOHC engine.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/22/17 6:26 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Vigo wrote: I came up on cars in the 90's and even though there were plenty of powerful v8 cars around, i was looking at the technology and wondering why we didn't already have 300hp v6s. To me, that was a sweet spot that would make most cars fast with good economy.
Because if you want power, you're supposed to buy the V8 version. The lesser engines just have to be made good enough to not actively turn people away. So the theory goes. I don't know if this shaped or was shaped by what seems to be the common (in the US anyway) mindset that lower models/smaller displacement are supposed to be piles of crap. Heck, this happened internally too. Chevy's 3100/3400 were deliberately restricted by awful exhaust manifolds so that they wouldn't make the same power as the 3800. It certainly wasn't for space reasons since the 3800 was a much wider engine and they put it in a lot of the same engine bays as the "premium" engine option. The 60 degree had much MUCH better chambers and ports, and log manifolds you couldn't wiggle your thumb in. The 3800 had... a balance shaft on some models, and headers. They didn't allow the 60 degree to shine until the 3800 was killed off, but then the new problem was the 3.6 DOHC engine.

They also did the same thing to the 3800. They gave the 3800 Supercharged lower ratings and held it back because they didn't want to make the FWD Northstar look pointless.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/22/17 7:37 a.m.

The same story exists with the old Yamaha SHO 3.0 V6. Can't have a Taurus with more horsepower than the Mustang GT.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/17 9:05 a.m.

What manual transmissions can go behind a pentastar v6? I don't recall Chrysler making any manual transmission v6 vehicles.

I always wondered how hard would it be to swap the 3.7 v6 from the 2011+ mustangs as well.

I figured both motors would do good in my 2900lb conquest.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/22/17 9:13 a.m.

In reply to yupididit:

Can't you get a Wrangler with the Pentastar/Manual combo? I'm pretty certain they've made them before.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/22/17 9:46 a.m.

In reply to yupididit:

The wrangler has a 6 speed manual. Although I think it is the only one.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
6/22/17 9:48 a.m.

Yep, the NSG370 6 speed in the Wrangler comes in a version for the Pentastar. Only one I know of.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/22/17 9:53 a.m.

In reply to STM317:

Just checked the Jeep website, the 3.6 Pentastar and 6 speed manual are the base engine transmission.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/22/17 10:00 a.m.

...So there are like seven of them out there.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
6/22/17 10:42 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: ...So there are like seven of them out there.

Nah, Wranglers seem to have a higher take rate on the manual than most other vehicles. Autos are still more common, but the manuals aren't rare. I just checked one of the local Jeep dealers. 14 new Wranglers on the lot. 2 are manuals. Another local dealer shows 25 Wranglers on-hand. Of those, 4 are manuals.

So the autos still out-number them by quite a bit, but the manuals are out there (and desired enough for dealers to put them on the lot rather than making it special order only).

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/22/17 10:42 a.m.

Doesn't a manual option exist for the Challenger/Charger? They use this engine as well.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/22/17 10:52 a.m.

In reply to carguy123: Only on v8 equipped cars.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
6/22/17 10:54 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: Doesn't a manual option exist for the Challenger/Charger? They use this engine as well.

No manuals in the Charger (for any year with any engine). Looks like the V6 in the Challenger gets the 8sp auto as the only option. The V8 cars can get a 6sp manual though.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
6/22/17 12:25 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: For small spaces, I'd also be interested in the similar performing pushrod V6 from the newer GM trucks, even if largely forgotten by...well...just about everybody.

To be fair, that's a Gen V engine (yes, they kept the old SBC based 4.3 in production until 2014!) and nobody has done much with the Gen V "LT" stuff in general yet.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/22/17 5:50 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: No manuals in the Charger (for any year with any engine). Looks like the V6 in the Challenger gets the 8sp auto as the only option. The V8 cars can get a 6sp manual though.

I'm sure either the GM or Ford use a manual, but don't let that stop you. I'm currently driving the 8 speed in a pick up I've rented and it holds the gears as long as you want them and downshifts quickly and smoothly so I wouldn't hesitate to use one in an autocross car.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/17 6:21 p.m.
dherr wrote: Drove one of the 2017 V6 Camaros in April on a business trip for several hundred miles. It was very entertaining both in a straight line and around the corners. Did not like driving in traffic since it is so hard to see out the rear, but great fun and sounded amazing. I would take one with a 6 speed manual, this would make a great drivetrain in a lighter car. Any reason you can't run it with a megasquirt?

I don't think any of the consumer grade ECUs can deal with direct injection.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/22/17 6:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
dherr wrote: Drove one of the 2017 V6 Camaros in April on a business trip for several hundred miles. It was very entertaining both in a straight line and around the corners. Did not like driving in traffic since it is so hard to see out the rear, but great fun and sounded amazing. I would take one with a 6 speed manual, this would make a great drivetrain in a lighter car. Any reason you can't run it with a megasquirt?
I don't think any of the consumer grade ECUs can deal with direct injection.

I'm wondering if you couldn't just fab an intake, stick some regular injectors in the runners, and add a normal throttle body in front of the plenum and then run it with Megasquirt.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TmNGW1QIomwjM9kpoqvXniAf6skzXrbM3mZK28Y7vG5FBvVPK3nsEmiQ3xbF7NYB