1 2
danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/4/14 10:55 p.m.

I am starting a new car build and need some advice, The car is a 1991 300ZXNA with a blown motor I have bought a 300 NA motor that is a good runner and all the turbos/intercoolers and piping from a TT car.

The question is can I run the turbos on the NA motor? if so how much boost can I get away with. Running intercoolers and meth injection it seems like 8 to 10 LBS will be safe NA motor is about 10 to 1.

Thanks

PS

I have all ways been sceptical of the 2000 challenge cars being possible budget wise but this one will be under budget when I am done if all goes well.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
12/4/14 11:32 p.m.

With meth injection 8-10 pounds sounds reasonable. I would start low and only up the boost if it seems safe to do so.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/14 11:35 p.m.

That's a lot of static compression and it will be very sensitive to ambient air temp and heat soak.

Planning on running E85? That would help quite a bit.

danvan
12/5/14 12:20 a.m.

We do not have E85 up in this part of Canada will be running 94 octane fuel

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/14 1:04 a.m.

I think Mohawk has e85

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
12/5/14 8:06 a.m.

Should be doable with a conservative tune. My E30 is 10:1 and runs 8 psi no problem, and has for 60k miles.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/5/14 8:33 a.m.

Stack 2 headgaskets?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/5/14 8:38 a.m.

You can run turbos on that motor with proper fueling, ignition, and boost control. Be very conservative with your settings and I'll bet it will live just fine under boost.

That said, most people on the 300zx forums will tell you that once you've fixed all the issues and have a dependable and working NA to turbo car you'll have spent just as much on that as buying a 300zx turbo in the first place. I'd say that depends on how cheap your parts cost is and how innovative you are in achieving your goal. I know with turbo Miata's you can spend as much as you want on turbo'ing one or do it inexpensively. Each route has it's benefits and negatives.

Keep us updated on the project please! I'm interested. I've always loved the classic look of that car.

danvan
12/5/14 11:08 a.m.

I am trying to keep this car cheap I paid $500 for the car and $400 for the running NA motor, the turbos and piping ect came are from my old 300TT in for 900 so far.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
12/5/14 12:50 p.m.

Don't forget to value the turbos and such at fair market value when you enter the challenge.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/5/14 12:52 p.m.

Just drill holes in the pistons to relieve some of the pressure. You'll be fine!

danvan
12/6/14 12:52 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Don't forget to value the turbos and such at fair market value when you enter the challenge.

The challenge is about 5000 miles from me so the chances are pretty slim that I will make it, but am trying to see if I can do it budget wise just for fun

danvan
12/6/14 12:54 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Just drill holes in the pistons to relieve some of the pressure. You'll be fine!

You are just a DOUCHEBAG f__k off

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/6/14 1:42 a.m.

I sense hostility... I'm just gonna "Kool-aid Man" outta here...

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/14 6:49 a.m.

In reply to danvan:

Sheesh! Lighten up, Francis.

danvan
12/6/14 12:27 p.m.

Sorry for that Bob was late just came home from driving 300 miles in the dark on icy roads did not have much of a sense of humor.

But still I was asking a serious question and was looking for serious replys

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/6/14 1:41 p.m.

No. I'm pretty sure that will pop long before 10psi. Most NA-TT setups I've heard stay around 5psi. Also, the heads on the NA and the TT are different, not sure the plumbing will all bolt up. In addition, there are radiator/ac condenser differences between the NA/TT to route the piping.

Can you find a set of pistons on the cheap? The crank + rods are the same, so the bottom end should be good for 600whp or so once you swap them.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
12/6/14 1:50 p.m.

At this point it might be interesting to get a VG30DET manifold and go single turbo. Never heard of people doing this before but it would go a long way to simplifying a complicated setup.

The DETT engine, that you don't have, has dual throttle bodies. I don't think the NA car has this so it would be a lot of work/money to swap over.

Get a VG30DET manifold + the stock turbo for that setup.

If it were me and I had the NA motor I would just build the NA up to my budget. IMO you missed your opportunity for a good turbo setup when you bought the NA engine. RB25DET, VG30DET, VG30DETT, VQ30DET could have all been decent choices.

Maybe some kind of supercharger setup?

Making a turbo setup for your engine isn't economical at all and your gains will be poor compared to getting an OEM setup.

You can order the parts for DET however front clip for VG30DET or RB25DET are inexpensive. At that point you might as well put in a VG30DETT at that point you might as well sell the car and buy a OEM TT.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/6/14 2:48 p.m.
kanaric wrote: The DETT engine, that you don't have, has dual throttle bodies. I don't think the NA car has this so it would be a lot of work/money to swap over. You can order the parts for DET however front clip for VG30DET or RB25DET are inexpensive. At that point you might as well put in a VG30DETT at that point you might as well sell the car and buy a OEM TT.

The Z32 VG30DE has dual throttle bodies.

IMO, if you can swap the NA, its just as good/possibly better. If its a slicktop, awesome (no TT slicktops from the factory). The NA also has a shorter final drive, doesn't have the goofy rear steer (less weight, more tire clearance), etc.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
12/6/14 2:58 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
kanaric wrote: The DETT engine, that you don't have, has dual throttle bodies. I don't think the NA car has this so it would be a lot of work/money to swap over. You can order the parts for DET however front clip for VG30DET or RB25DET are inexpensive. At that point you might as well put in a VG30DETT at that point you might as well sell the car and buy a OEM TT.
The Z32 VG30DE has dual throttle bodies. IMO, if you can swap the NA, its just as good/possibly better. If its a slicktop, awesome (no TT slicktops from the factory). The NA also has a shorter final drive, doesn't have the goofy rear steer (less weight, more tire clearance), etc.

Rear steer can be disabled however i'm sure the slicktop is lighter by a reasonable amount.

It just doesn't seem worth it. The time and money to do this is better spent on buying a OEM turbo car or a more meaningful swap.

http://s430.photobucket.com/user/shibbeler/media/RB26DETT%20Swap/2010-02-20/DSC_4015.jpg.html

Ease/fun of working on Z32 increased by 5000%. I would take a 25/30DET swap for sure.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/6/14 3:13 p.m.

Yeah, that is a buttload easier to work on. I always thought a slicktop with an SR20 would be a fun toy.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/8/14 10:57 a.m.

I kinda wanted to do a VG30ET swapped Z32 just because the engine is packaged so much better and has nearly as much potential at a fraction of the cost and labor, and it'll piss off the Z32 guys.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/8/14 11:47 a.m.

How much are RB20DET/RB25DET packages going for nowadays?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/8/14 11:50 a.m.
Autolex wrote: How much are RB20DET/RB25DET packages going for nowadays?

Well outside of challenge budget.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/8/14 12:07 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Autolex wrote: How much are RB20DET/RB25DET packages going for nowadays?
Well outside of challenge budget.

I didn't catch that the sub $201X price was a requirement. Apologies...

It does look like you can source a motor or motor and trans combo for ~$900 on the motor, and $1300 on the combo sans shipping from Ebay.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h5EvII203KnljwhHs6i6srTzyBrmjvkRUwScpY2hVSqwm8mGTTke0m1sotdmYCBt